Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
10/16/18 7:18 p.m.

Pete got some video of the Q45 running the autocross. Two things stand out to me. One how flat it handles and two how long the porpoising continues after the dip is hit. 

https://youtu.be/eOmv0QRIsP8

https://youtu.be/7eRwEsAZ2bk

https://youtu.be/wReXro7wVxw

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/16/18 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I think once the shocks are working & it hooks up a little better there will be more body roll. At that point doubling up the front swaybar and/or shortening the lever arm may be a good next step. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/17/18 6:28 p.m.

Will there be more development or has this been the last time for the challenge Q45? 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
10/17/18 6:34 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

I think she has at least one more Challenge in her.  We're going to start the next build but realistically we doubt it'll be done for the 2019 $2000 Challenge.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
10/17/18 6:39 p.m.

The Challenge is a tiring experience. Not only were we busting our behinds getting the car ready but just the Challenge weekend will wear you out. GameboyRMH approached me Friday afternoon and asked if I wanted GoPro video of the car running. My brain didn't register his words with anything actually and I politely declined. A few seconds later my brain said wait he offered to video the car run the course, hell yeah!  Here's the video. I've watched it twice and I already see stuff I need to work on before next year. 

https://youtu.be/m13SqK6dfmc

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/17/18 7:28 p.m.

Sounds really good

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
10/17/18 7:30 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Thanks, maybe you need to get your Z back to all Nissan?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/17/18 8:02 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Now that would be a crazy turn of events. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/17/18 8:12 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

In reply to Stampie :

Now that would be a crazy turn of events. 

Only if rb26, and I don’t feel like paying for one

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
10/25/18 7:58 p.m.

Even though the Q45 is officially our backup car you can't pass up a deal when you see one so this evening Lil Stampie and I road tripped!

Picked up two diffs with 3.36 LSD and a set of four unknown at the time springs.  The two smaller have been IDed as 450 lbs/in springs but I'm going to post on the main board to see if we can get the other two IDed. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/26/18 6:24 a.m.

One of those Diffs would probably be great for my full luxury challenge car idea. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
10/26/18 7:13 a.m.

One of those diffs would be for sale. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
10/26/18 9:21 a.m.
Stampie said:

One of those diffs would be for sale. 

Are those R200 diffs, or something else?  If so, what are they out of?  I'm going to want one for my TVR.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
10/26/18 10:14 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

They're R200/230.  They came out of a 350z.  Reason I say 200/230 is they are larger than the traditional 200 but I haven't heard anyone call them 230s.  Anyway I have a R200 out of a 94 Infinity Q45 I'd sell cheaper.  PM me if interested in any.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/26/18 10:41 a.m.

You can out me as the guy that sold you the diffs and springs, btw! lol

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
10/26/18 11:51 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Lol sometimes sources want to remain anonymous.  Ok price just went up because these diffs came from a GRM project car. I'm pretty sure one has been in the magazine. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/26/18 12:14 p.m.

One has indeed!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/26/18 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Did you verify the part before purchasing? Don’t want another wiring harness fiasco.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
10/26/18 1:27 p.m.

I've seen enough that I know what it was but he did make me carry them to the truck. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/26/18 1:36 p.m.

I still need to figure out how hard it is to do the pinion bearing on the one you gave me.  I have a feeling I might need it one day

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
11/4/18 4:23 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

In reply to Stampie :

It strikes me that drill bits are "budget exempt" and those L-brackets are over-kill as-is?

If you knew how much lost sleep I got over this little post ... It's bothered me, a lot.  So much that I was showing the car off to someone and after I opened the hood I said I'd be working more on the battery box.  So this evening I pulled it out and weighed it. 52.25 oz so little over 3 and 1/4 pounds.

I pulled it today so I can start laying out holes but no way am I drilling 78 holes like Patrick.  Nope I ordered this off eBay.

It should be here later this week and Lil Stampie is out of school Friday so this will be our project.  Mr. sleepyhead you'll have to explain to Lil Stampie why his inheritance is now $250 lighter. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
11/4/18 4:46 p.m.

I don't know if I should be humbled, honored, or ashamed

I'll start repaying my debt by pointing out that you can start shaving weight with the angle grinder by cutting off triangular wedges from the flanges that are sticking out away from where the opposite flange is bolted... maybe at a 45deg angle... 60deg might be possible?

edit: if this word salad is "clear and pig slop mud"... I'll try to make some "paint level" picture edits tomorrow

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
11/4/18 5:02 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

You were right in your post.  It was just something I didn't have the time to do with the tools I had.  I understand what you're saying. I'm going to try and get holes near some of the edges and the round off corners. I don't think I want to do much straight grinding for aesthetic reasons. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
11/4/18 5:45 p.m.
Stampie said:

It should be here later this week and Lil Stampie is out of school Friday so this will be our project.  Mr. sleepyhead you'll have to explain to Lil Stampie why his inheritance is now $250 lighter. 

Now, that's a classic Beefy old Tool !

What's the range of hole sizes it'll punch?

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
11/4/18 5:49 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

1/8th to 13/16ths.  It's a 20 ton Roper Whitney and is rated to punch a 1/2 inch hole in 1/2 inch stock.  Insert Tim Allen grunt here. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z421gau6HAAptGvKXmPFiV74PDGdAeCnn3jUN5Qlk75Kb5IJZsx087YLuvIbcvh1