1 2 3 4
wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/23/19 4:18 p.m.

I like the 215 Buick V8 but with no hood and the aluminum block and heads bead blasted.  Or a Ford Y block. 

Or you could look into The Race of Gentlemen (TROG) and set it up for beach drag racing by keeping it vintage including the powerplant.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
3/23/19 8:52 p.m.

Props to Mom and the Stampie generations outing.  I don't know, but a boat tailed roadster, with that hood, kinda speaks to me.  How about a flathead V8?

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/pts/d/jacksonville-engine-flathead-v8/6827426466.html

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
3/23/19 9:52 p.m.

In reply to Dirtydog :

A Flathead V8 (maybe Flathead inline 6) is a definite future possibility for the Model T.  

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
3/29/19 2:30 p.m.

Road trip!  We'll tell you what we're getting in a little over three hours. 

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/29/19 3:04 p.m.

Congrats will follow this closely great cars!

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
3/29/19 5:37 p.m.

Road trip was a bust. Carry on. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/29/19 7:55 p.m.

berkeleying lame

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
3/29/19 9:47 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Well there was a miscommunication. When I agreed to buy a 1936 LaSalle hood I just assumed it was both sides. Three hours there to find out it's only the drivers side.

But not all wasted time.  Lil Stampie and I play a variant of punch bug. New style are 1 punch, classic bugs are 5, and then we play 10 cylinders and above with a punch per cylinder.  Lucky for me there's more Ford V10 trucks and XJSs than the Audi R8s and Lamborghinis he looks for.  I jumped way ahead on an XJS and quick following with a classic bug.  He never caught back up.

Then on the way back I used the time for The Talk.  I don't think he's scarred to bad.  Hopefully he won't need a shrink until he's on his own health insurance.  He did think it was funny when I told him that half of him was the fastest sperm out of millions.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/30/19 7:15 a.m.

If it helps, i have a 1939-40 chevy truck hood, both halves plus sides and its similar shape to the one you were going to look at.  

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
3/30/19 7:23 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

You have everything. Don't know why I didn't just text you first.

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
3/30/19 7:45 a.m.

I Have The Honor Of Working on One of the First Cars in the Creepers Car Club ,A 32 3 window with Full Running Boards , I Saw this Car in 66 When I was 15 YO. It's In 2 Mags from the Past, Custody Battles long Storage and Neglect Have Taken the Toll.

But after Many Years of Being around these things let Me Suggest you use theLightest Eng/Tranny You can Find. Ask Around, the frame Really Can't handle Lots of Power or Weight and Do Crack,  This car has had Both,  SBC/BBC And That will be One of the First Repairs .

Some Great Pics of the Car in Buff Mag., it is a Rodder Publication But Has Necked Girls with 80,s Big Hair.  I'll Try to Find A Family appropo pic and post it.

Best of luck and Don't Get in a Hurry

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
3/30/19 10:01 a.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

On the T we're not going to have the power to do much to the frame.  On the A we'll have enough torque to twist it into a pretzel but we're going to strengthen the frame and hopefully not have enough traction to twist the frame.

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
3/30/19 10:27 a.m.

Do not remove X braces and Plate the Eng. Mount Points, I Know I say this a lot But Look Through a Chassie Enginering Book Or Speedway Catalog and Just Look At How New stuff is Done to Old Design , For Me just seeing their work  Gives me Ideas on How It's done.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
4/13/19 11:29 a.m.

We're a few weeks behind as is normal for us. Today was drop the T day. Last week I removed parts of my fence in order to get the T in it's position. First we dropped it off the trailer. At that moment I had a great desire to make vroom vroom noises so we did.

Then we looked at the engine. We noticed the crank handle turning as we rolled the T so hopefully that means it's not stuck.

And in it's place. Team Stampie is going back to their roots as shade tree mechanics. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
4/13/19 11:39 a.m.

Is that some other car's hood used as the rear boat-tail? Can't wait to see that tree do some engine or body hoisting.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
4/13/19 11:57 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Yes it's a 47-53 Chevy truck hood. Sitting position is a little tight so might move it back a little. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
4/13/19 7:13 p.m.

Had a bacon dinner as a reward for the hard work then we went out to cover everything. The sitting position bothered me so we did a makeshift seat bottom about 4 inches high. Much better. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/13/19 7:23 p.m.

So make some thin sides and speedster, correct?

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
4/13/19 7:33 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Yep. If you see the bar here on the side here:

It's only held in place by friction. We played with it and moved the front up about 6 inches higher.  Simple skin job and then do the same on the passenger side. Lil Stampie did request that we cut the rear deck back on the passenger side to match the drivers side. Guess that means he plans on riding in it.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/13/19 8:11 p.m.

I have one of those tires.  I love the tread pattern 

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
4/13/19 9:57 p.m.

Oh man that looks like fun. I have read that driving a T is not like a normal car. Throttle is on of the levers under the steering wheel. The other one is for either retarding or advancing the timing I think or it has a handle below the dash that does it? Not to sure if you could even hop up the stock motor? Looks like you could if you wanted to but don't think I would. Change it out for a pinto lump and a 3 speed tranny. I think it would go way faster than you'd need to for having sketchy braking at best. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/13/19 10:08 p.m.
brad131a4 said:

. Change it out for a pinto lump and a 3 speed tranny.

the unintentional irony of this comment is not lost on me

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
4/14/19 6:18 a.m.

In reply to brad131a4 :

You are correct. Throttle is a lever on the right of the steering wheel and the timing advance is on the left of the steering wheel.  You are also right about sketchy braking.  There's a lever on the left of the driver that operates a glorified emergency brake and the actual brake pedal operates a band inside the transmission.  That means a engine swap leaves you with just a glorified emergency brake.  That's an issue I'm thinking hard about right now. There is a performance head for the stock head that gives a 40% increase in horsepower.  That takes you from 20hp to 28hp.

The main reason I dropped the T was I needed room on the trailer to put the M20/trans combo that's been riding in my pickup bed for the last few months. I then put my engine hoist in the bed making sure I still had some room as I'm doing a road trip this coming Thursday. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
4/18/19 11:36 a.m.

Road Trip!  Heading up to Kentucky to pick up a hopefully 1941 Cadillac Flathead V8. Here's Lil Stampie's sad face because he can't go. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
4/18/19 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Oh, crap.  Is it this weekend?

Saturday is Indy-Kid #5's B-day, so I won't be able to meet up.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BHsSTAtQoSIZmLo6iMF6ME8Aj4uEREUOr1IH6GYQscNCJTFQZetUdt8qcR1RV5vk