2 3 4 5 6
Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
4/20/19 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

That is intended for the Model A.  Maybe ... I'm still thinking.  I'd like to have it because I have an engine for it even if it doesn't end up in either T or A.  But I understand you wanting to keep it on a maybe. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/20/19 9:25 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Nah you’re good.  I just wanted to make sure.  I don’t have a home for it, and i got a short tail one with a broken bellhousing so i could cut it off and put an sfi rated ultrabell on

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
4/20/19 9:32 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Ok and I want the 40 truck hood but you're too light on it. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
4/27/19 9:41 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

In reply to Stampie :

I'm so glad you're a young man. I look forward to sitting on a rocking chair in a nursing home in my old age viewing the progress of your countless projects! A retirement to look forward to! Keep up the good work

In your honor Sir. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/9/19 5:48 p.m.

Sorry for the lack of an update.  I had to sign a NDA but after a couple days ban and other punishments I'm just glad I'm not part of a patio.

Mark went to hospice last week. I feel like I'm working with him when I'm on the model T so Saturday I spent some time going over things.  Since we can embed videos I made a couple.

Mark passed earlier this week. I'm glad I got to know him better just wish I had done it years ago. He was a good man and will be remembered. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/9/19 6:54 p.m.

You got banned/time-outed????

Missed that. But the 20oz bottle comment was great!

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/15/19 6:44 p.m.

I'm hoping when school lets out next week I'll have more free time to work on the T. I found about 20 minutes yesterday. I put some lock washers under the spark plug nuts to make the wires a firm connection. I followed the gas hard line from the carb back. It ends under the floor board with a threaded connection. I have a gas tank that I suspect was part of the T at one point so I'll have to see how everything lines up. I found myself worried about breaking something. I need to get over that and start treating this like a normal vehicle I'm working on.  Sorry for the lack of update yesterday but I fell asleep on the couch worn out. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/18/19 3:11 p.m.

I just picked up a bunch of stuff for Project T&A. Don't know why because it's all stuff for way in the future. Once I get home I'll work on current stuff. 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
5/18/19 4:35 p.m.

I'll have to build you a shrine if the T ends up on mud tires. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/18/19 4:40 p.m.

Today was a good day.  I had a list:

• Pick up CL wheels
  • Get wood to make engine stand for 41 Cadillac Flathead
  • Work out plan for Model T gas tank

Thursday night Lil Stampie and I searched (race | racing) on CL for our bedtime story. One of the things that showed up was American Racing 5x5.5 wheels for $75. That happens to be the bolt pattern for the Model T&A and you never can have to many sets of cheap wheels so I make arrangements to go look at them today.  Guy is only 4 minutes away so after a quick drive I'm looking at the wheels. I offer $50 and he says he can't even remember what he listed them at but $50 works.

That's not the best part though. I'm standing in his back yard and surrounded by 20 or so riding lawnmowers. I mention that I'd been thinking about needing a lawn tractor at the house to move things around and general redneck fun. He tells me that he races lawnmowers but to fund that he builds and works on lawn tractors for others. I say what's the best one out here and tell me about it. He shows me this 22hp manual 6 speed Craftsman that he says he's still working on. I ask him how much when it's done and he says no more than $400. Hell I'd have that in getting a mower and the parts needed to fix it up. Not to mention the time I don't have to build it. Tell him that I'm very interested and let me know when is ready. 

So as we're talking he says that he upgrades them all with car batteries for longer life. That clicks in my brain and I ask if he has an old lawn battery he'll sell me cheep. He says I can have one since they're no use to him. And Bam just like that the Q45 gets a new to her battery and $30 back in budget. 

Berk the $50 wheels were worth the admission to his yard for the free battery and hook ups on a built lawn tractor.

I'm already in the truck so I stop by at Home Depot and pick up some 4x4 and 2x4s to build an engine cart for the 41 Cadillac Flathead.

Well E36 M3 I'm 45 minutes in and knocked out 2 out of 3 goals with all kinds of extra bonus levels added in. Time for the Model T gas.

Mark included this tank. I'm not sure it was ever in the T but it will be now.

Just a few minutes and I've got the peacocks for the tank and fuel drain working. Next just a few taps on a screwdriver and the cap spins free. Look inside and it looks good. Wait is that a baffle?

Why yes it is. We've got us one of those high performance gas tanks. 

I throw it in place just to check fitment and it's like it was made to go there.

Run down to Advance and see my boy that's used to my BS. $7.28 in fittings later I got everything except some fuel hose to hook it up.

At this point we've met all the goals and I decide it's a good point to retire inside with some bourbon. Only thing keeping me from that is me typing this out so cya. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/18/19 4:49 p.m.
Crackers said:

I'll have to build you a shrine if the T ends up on mud tires. 

Well now I want to do that post Challenge. Never had a shrine. Pretty sure lightning would strike it once finished. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
5/19/19 7:39 a.m.

Jeez, that gas tank looks 90% like the tank from my TVR.  I guess I know where they got the design now.

Yours is in better shape than mine too.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/19/19 8:07 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I'm looking forward to seeing this in October.

I've been delayed in getting your package sent out. But I will get it some time this week.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/19/19 8:07 a.m.

I don't know what this tank originally came from. This 26 Model T would have it's tank in the cowl like the Model A. But it does look good enough to run as is. I did get worried this morning about no vent. Since I'm gravity feed I wonder if a vacuum will build and prevent the gas from flowing. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/19/19 8:12 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

No worries. Delayed gratification is a good thing at my age. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/19/19 4:33 p.m.

So let me preface this with I have a SC education so I might not be the brightest. All morning I racked my brain trying to figure out how to vent the tank so it wouldn't create a vacuum. This afternoon I thought about doing something on the cap so I didn't have to modify the tank itself. Then it hit me, I remember seeing an intention on the cap yesterday and wondered what it was. When I go off work I checked it out and sure enough it's a 1/16th inch vent hole.

Ok I'm a dumbass. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
5/19/19 6:35 p.m.

For safety, I would probably run a barbed fitting in there and make a loop of line that eventually exits the very back of the car.

Fuel slosh is real.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/19/19 6:39 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I've been thinking of something. My idea was a fuel safe rubber flap on the bottom of the cap. Could have a screw as the holder/hinge. If a vacuum forms it should allow air to enter but in normal operation pervent fuel from sloshing out. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/27/19 9:40 a.m.

Half off junkyard day. Volvo XC90 rear seats. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/27/19 10:52 a.m.

Is there an automotive equivalent to an air admittance valve from the plumbing world?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/27/19 2:03 p.m.
RossD said:

Is there an automotive equivalent to an air admittance valve from the plumbing world?

gas cap with a rubber seal.  Or a rollover valve, but that just closes when you go upside down.  I bite the bullet and put a rollover valve in every fuel cell i use.  

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/28/19 7:26 p.m.

Sorry no picture of a test fit but I can confirm the two outer seats are a perfect enough fit inside the Model T. Yesterday at the junkyard I did my normal flirt with the cashiers on the way out. Figured if I butter them up I'll get a better evaluation of my parts at check out. Hell I'll flirt with a guy cashier if it gets me a discount. Anyway I arraigned the seat in the wheelbarrow so it's like a bench seat. Why? Because bench seats are cheaper. Damn my luck as I get a new cashier who's being trained. The trainer cashier goes all gunho on my wheelbarrow and calls it two jump seats with a center console. Berker the jokes on you because I'm discarding that center console which was actually the middle seat. Now let's see if I can claim it as exempt since I really bought seatbelts with seats attached.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/1/19 12:01 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to Stampie :

I'm looking forward to seeing this in October.

I've been delayed in getting your package sent out. But I will get it some time this week.

I got my care package with a bunch of goodies Thursday. Included was these.

Some people lose 10mm sockets but I lose screwdrivers so these are greatly appreciated. I used them to help remove the rear deck of the T.

After moving things around I find that in this position all the mount holes of the tank lined up with holes in the T's frame. Guess that's a sign that it belongs there. 

I'm taking a lunch break but I'll get back on it afterwards. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/1/19 1:27 p.m.

I over estimated my ability to withstand after lunch sleepiness and Flordia afternoon heat. I did get the tank bolted down and attached my fuel filter and the line going forward. 

I got a little brain locked at this point. My added hardline is about 6 inches short of the original Model T hardline. Part of me says cut my new hardline and add fuel hose to take up the slack. The other part of me says I want it hardline the whole way. Either way I'd redo it post Challenge so I should hit the easy button for now. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/3/19 4:44 p.m.

I met up with pimpm3 this afternoon and picked up some tires. We're going to be the fastest Model T at the Challenge cause we'll be on slicks. 

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
32WRo0Xci8r8ea9X0kicKWQV2lySKS1uqw8Ffrna6jyW0DuBmjZ8C4m5xCPpINzI