4 5 6 7 8
Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/22/19 12:25 p.m.

Feels like forever since I touched the T. I guess I didn't get much done last Saturday. After our Saturday morning donuts we got back on her. I'd watched a video where the guy removed the axle nut and the wheels and hub slid right off. Guess what didn't happen for us?  Drivers side didn't budge. Came inside and watched another video to find it they make a special puller for them. $65 plus shipping brand new and $60 used on eBay with shipping.

Well went back out and I tried the passenger side.  Wtf is pops right off. Throw the hub in the freezer and the adapter into the oven. While that's going I go thru the boxes of stuff Mark included. Last box I find this.

Yep that's a wheel puller. 

We grabbed the hub and adapter out of the oven and freezer and put them together with the drum much easier than we did with the fronts.

We're taking a lunch brake then we'll pull the drivers side. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/22/19 12:27 p.m.

Looking at the above pictures it hits me that I'm a natural hand model and much better at it than Angry. 

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
6/22/19 1:24 p.m.

Touch Klaus,  Um, well,   Benny Hill the Rest.

Never Was a fan of Hairy Kunckles.

Meet me at Lake City  when you come back up and i'll bring you that 48 ford axle, You Can see the Componets on speedway Catalog.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/22/19 1:39 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

I'm still planning on seeing you in August and that 48 axle should work for the A. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/22/19 2:42 p.m.

Driver's side had it's own issues. The wheel puller worked perfect. Just a couple of turns and I felt it come free. Then the hub tried to kick my shiny by not releasing from the wheel. Passenger side just took a good wack from my 3lb sledge. I couldn't get the drivers side out. Lil Stampie almost got his mouth washed out with soap when he said the bad words "Let's pay someone to do it."  Finally I used my trailer ramps as a makeshift press plate and beat the berk out of it until it released. After that an hour in the oven and it slipped right into place. There's a car show this evening so we called it a day.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/29/19 2:37 p.m.

I didn't get much done today. Between my job this week and the junkyard yesterday I've gotten into a dehydration hole. 

I went down to my favorite used tire guy. Unfortunately my wheels are to narrow for the slicks pimpm3 gave me to fit. He didn't have a good selection in 23 inch tall tires so that was a bust. I'll check out Costco but looks like Walmart online has black and round tires for about $35 each. 

The passenger emergency brake rod wasn't hooked up when we got it. I guess flopping around under the car it had gotten bent up. That needed to be fixed.

Before

After

Hooked it all back up but the actuator cam on that side is pretty hard to move. I filled the lube hole with PB Blaster and decided to let it soak in because I was getting light headed at that point. Next step is see if I can work it back and forth and if not then I'll have to take it apart and clean everything up. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/29/19 4:44 p.m.

Ok I can be stubborn. My mom says I get it from her but in all fairness my dad is stubborn also. I should have called it a day but it bugged me. 

The clevis pin on the rear of the rod was rusted into place. 

I'm over being scared of hurting the car so out came the cut off wheel. Stampie wins.  I threw a 4 foot pipe on the lever and worked it until it was loose. 

Lots of grinding and a little used of my new favorite tool the torch and the old pin was out. 

Ace hardware only had a 2 inch clevis pin in the diameter I needed but it at least let me hook everything up and test the brakes.  I can now chill for the evening. 

Almost forgot. Since I had the rod out I was able to straighten it even more. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/29/19 7:09 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Awesome!

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
7/6/19 12:27 p.m.

Pimpm3 and I came to an agreement in principle on a 350z he has.

Look at the nice forged wheels and Brembo brakes.

Yeah so they're not included and the engine has a rod knock but I have Z plan. Deal was I remove the wheels and brakes so pimpm3 could sell them off. It kicked my ass. I drank 64oz of fluids and ran out half way through. It kicked my ass so much I paid an ex boxer mechanic $20 just to break free the rear caliper bolts. I had tried everything including hitting the wrench with a hammer. Berker just slams his fist into the wrench and pops them loose. It was worth the $20. So here's the all done picture.

She's sad with no brakes and cheap ass rollers. 

So far I'm into the Z for $20 and 4 hours of labor at the Flordia minimum wage of $8.25 for a grand total of $53 plus cash to be determined at a later time. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
7/6/19 7:57 p.m.

How is that going to work for your build without brakes?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/6/19 8:01 p.m.

I’ll give you 75 for it

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
7/6/19 8:17 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

How is that going to work for your build without brakes?

Stock replacement is defined as having the Challenge car’s year, make, model, and trim listed as an application in a major parts catalog, or, if non-OEM front and/or rear subframes/axles/hubs/knuckles are used, the year, make, model, and trim of the donor vehicle listed as an application in a major parts catalog. This rule does allow adding stock replacement brake parts to a car that did not come with any at the time of sale.

In reply to Patrick:

No.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/6/19 8:20 p.m.

$100

whats wrong with it besides knocking and no brakes?  Sounds like an ls swap away from perfection 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
7/6/19 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

No.  You can see the wrinkle in the passenger rear fender. I noticed that side door glass doesn't line up. Might be fixable or might not but the main thing preventing an LS swap is I've decided it must give it's life for another vehicle to live. Oh and technically it doesn't have wheels. Those are the rollers from the Q45. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
7/6/19 8:48 p.m.

Anyone want a set of brembos or some volk Ray's 18 inch wheels?

Thanks stampie for getting the parts pulled off.  Looking forward to see where this goes.

So I bought this thing on copart last minute hoping for an easy flip.  Unfortunately a rod knock was discovered after I had it towed to my buddies body shop. 

The lesson from all of this is go inspect your cars before bidding on them despite being sold by progressive.  My bad...  fortunately the calipers and wheels should cover my purchase price, hopefully!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
7/6/19 8:49 p.m.

Automatic? Might be interested in a spare.

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
7/6/19 8:57 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

It's a 6 speed

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
7/7/19 9:37 a.m.

...even more interesting. Have plans for the trans? 6 speed swap would be an excellent post-Challenge mod for Datsaniti.

mike
mike New Reader
7/7/19 9:55 a.m.

What's the deal on the yellow valiant?

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
7/7/19 11:23 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

...even more interesting. Have plans for the trans? 6 speed swap would be an excellent post-Challenge mod for Datsaniti.

Oh there are plans for the 6 speed.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
7/7/19 11:27 a.m.
mike said:

What's the deal on the yellow valiant?

That's pimpm3's iirc. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
7/7/19 12:20 p.m.
Stampie said:
maschinenbau said:

Oh there are plans for the 6 speed.

OH now I remember. Aw yisss.

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
7/7/19 1:36 p.m.

It's a 1972 dart with a 360.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
7/12/19 12:26 p.m.

About 24 feet of frame boxing material. 

All for the value price of $30.

Oh and I may have bought a 25 T frame off eBay the other day. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
7/12/19 12:33 p.m.

Nice, $0.75/lb. That's what I pay for drops at my local yard too. 

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J1DismGhr9KgD2Pl11ljVcrNyrxC3nBFFNIf2ZZBxbPc1mBEFZVSyEe2PVP3t7Uz