6 7 8 9 10
Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
8/7/19 11:15 a.m.

We stopped by GTXVette in Atlanta to drop off a Challenge part for him. He told me a while ago that he had a 48 Ford truck drop axle. I was able to relieve him of it.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
8/24/19 10:29 a.m.

You know you've neglected a project to long when mother nature decides to take a E36 M3 on it. 

This morning the goal was get the rear brakes working.  The drivers side was pretty good operational condition so I focused on the passenger side. First a little torch to free up the adjuster on the mechanical linkage. After that I did a quick run to Home Depot for a clevis pin and some sand paper. The 1 inch clevis pin fits much better than the 2 inch one I had in there before.

I had issues getting the passenger drum on before so I spent a few minutes sanding down the inner surface and it slid on pretty easy. That enabled me to put the rear wheels on after washing the E36 M3 off and dropping her down on all four wheels. 

Things went smooth except for adjusting the passenger side rod. It's about 1.5 inches long. The driver's side is even longer so I spent a lot of time saying WTF. 

I think it's time for an AC break and a popcorn lunch before I get back on it. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
8/24/19 1:34 p.m.

I feel like a big boy now. I got a tap and die set of my very own.

I cut the threads back a few inches on the rod and then cut off the excess. Put the adjuster back on and hooked everything up. Both sides now engage at the same time. I can feel dehydration coming on even after drinking a half gallon of fluids this morning so I think I'll chill the rest of the day. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/24/19 3:42 p.m.

Nice!

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
9/7/19 10:31 a.m.

I got back on it today and made a video update. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
9/7/19 1:30 p.m.

After lunch the plan was to replace the fan belt as the leather one was done. The closest I could find at the Advance down the road was a 27 inch 4 rib serpentine.

I'll try to find a better fit width wise but for now it'll do. 

I planned to swap the carb with a rebuilt one Mark had. Unfortunately when I pulled it out I noticed it was for a Model A. This concerns me as I don't know how long this carb had sat. 

Also TIL the hand crank really hurts when you kick it.  I also learned the second time you kick it that it feels the same.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
9/7/19 4:43 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

my understanding, without direct experience, is:   you kicking the handle hurts a whole lot less, than when the handle kicks you

ymmv

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
9/7/19 5:01 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Good point

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/7/19 7:22 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Don’t forget I can hook you up with T carb people who are also racers. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
9/7/19 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

I know and I held off because I thought I had this rebuilt one. Now I'm out of time so if this carb is bad I'll lovely try to build an adapter to use the Model A carb. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
9/14/19 7:42 p.m.

Sorry no pictures today for some reason. After donuts we changed the oil in the T. Model Ts have a simple oil system. The trans and engine so share the oil. The flywheel in the lowest part of the pan so it picks up the oil and at the top deposits it in a pipe that then drips down on the rods/bearings. Oil came out looking good so I was happy with that. We then flushed out the fuel line with alcohol removing what I think was a spider web. Hooked up the gas tank and put in a gallon of ethanol free gas.

I tried a couple of hand cranks but got nothing. Figured we'd try the starter but first Lil Stampie wanted a cheeseburger for lunch. 

While at lunch we put a battery on the charger in hopes it'd ready afterwards. After lunch we got our ass kicked. First we traced wiring and I don't think it'll work off the magneto. Then we discovered the floor starter switch was bad. You can't exactly get one of those at the corner auto parts store. You can get a Ford remote solenoid which is what we did. Being tired didn't help as I spent way too long trying to figure out why it wouldn't work without being grounded. Ok so that was a stupid moment. Still could only get a couple of clicks out of it at a time. Finally I decided that the battery just wasn't taking a charge. I needed to get another one anyway since this one wouldn't fit in the battery box. After that it was nap time. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
9/20/19 7:13 p.m.

We're calling it. The T isn't making the Challenge this year. There's just too many things needed to get it running much less finishing it with safe seats and side panels. I have the sads. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/20/19 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Bummer :(

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
9/20/19 8:29 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

This makes me sad too.  Blame the MH 454 extraction?

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
9/20/19 9:23 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Yeah that cost us a lot of time this summer but it was a do it or lose it situation. It's ok. We'll bring it. Just not this year. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
9/20/19 9:41 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yeah, and it will be better (and better sorted) next year.  See you in a few weeks.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
10/27/19 5:46 p.m.

I think the flow of this thread might be confusing. I wanted to clarify that we actually have two Ts and an A.  We got the 26 T and 28 A from Mark. While reading the rules for the Challenge I came up with either a smart idea or a very stupid one. That's when I bought the 25 T frame. The 25 T is our next Challenge build. It looks like this right now.

So you might have been asking why was the 350z stuff in this build?  That's because it's going to be a donor of a lot of parts for the 25 T. Engine decision hasn't been made yet but we just experimented with our first choice and it was a major failure. Second choice is the Q45 but I need to figure out the exploding radiator issue before I know if I can use it. Right now the plan is heavy modified 25 frame with a 48 straight front axle using adapted 350z hubs. In the rear I'll use the whole 350z subframe for a strong IRS with LSD. Should be fun if I ever figure it how to power it. 

And we still plan on getting the 26 T running and bringing it to the Challenge. 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/28/19 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Everything about this plan sounds awesome.

sleepyhead the buffalo
10/28/19 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I assume you're looking for more power than what the Q45 puts out?

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
10/28/19 11:06 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Thanks.  Was great to finally meet you this weekend.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo:

I've been wanting to build a very light weight car for years. Stalled for years Project X was the beginning of that. This is where the final thought process has lead. I'm hoping for a final weight of 1500 lbs (actually hope lower). I project needing at least 10:1 hp:lbs for autocross and 5:1 for drags. I've been thinking a lot yesterday and this morning and I think a VQ35 with NO2 is the answer for this project. They're all over my junkyards here and I don't have to adapt the 350z transmission. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
10/28/19 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It's a little down on power... and probably has some adaption issues... but the Hyundai Lambda V6 at 3.3L is probably even lousier in the junkyards, and at least based on car-part, should be even cheaper.

I'd have to check with Bob, but the 6spd's out of Genesis coupe's seem pretty reasonable on car-part too ($400)... but that might help solve some of the adaption issues (outside of electronics).

edit:
if you figured it out... it'd probably peg the needle on 'innovation', though cheeky

VQ might be stronger, though... and handle more NOS for the drags

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
10/28/19 12:22 p.m.

Did I mention this will be a traditional Team Stampie half budget build?

sleepyhead the buffalo
10/28/19 12:45 p.m.

Auto it is?

edit:

and, in case Lil_Stampie is reading, the vocabulary word for today is:

incorrigible

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
10/28/19 1:19 p.m.

I’ll put up my proposed budget tonight. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
10/28/19 4:49 p.m.

Here's the budget:

$200 Model T frame

$350 Roll cage

$150 Junkyard VQ35

$53 Nissan 350z (final price not totally set)

$120 Front axle

$30 Frame boxing material

$100 Wheels

$100 2 tires not exempt

Total is $1103 plus depending on the 350z

I'm sure I can zero out the T frame and the 350z even with more money in it.  That'll bring me down to $850. I'm really hoping to trade extra parts off the 350z for the roll cage. That'd get me down to $500. 

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8hMtJ7obiAy4fwSbDqAc5TZPOdR3ZAY5SKdwa2XKQ7nnCxcfypXeXNrpvgMtc56B