singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/7/21 8:22 p.m.

So I decided that I wanted a van on Tuesday, the board recommended an Astro as I wanted a short wheel base, RWD layout van for towing and capable of carrying tons of stuff. Thursday I found what is likely a contender for the most minty fresh Astro cargo van in the mid west. Today, I have said van. Here be it.

it isn't perfect. It has some hail damage, a ding or two, and some bubbling paint behind the sliding door. However, it has 51k miles and drives like it. The interior is not worn out and the back clearly hasn't had more than plastic totes going in and out. This is a retired dry cleaning van that must have only driven like 5 miles a day. 

it does have this crappy aftermarket window installed that may need some attention but that is a problem for the future. 

here is the paint bubbling. Any one have suggestions on how best to handle this?

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/7/21 8:51 p.m.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/7/21 8:56 p.m.

AAACK. TIN WORM! MY EYES! MY EYES!

To do right, more labor than I have the talent for.

Me? Light wire brush, rust converting primer, and a can of white Krylon surprise

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/7/21 10:11 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

The missing handle was broken and the guy who I got it from (who had it for a week) bought one from a wrecker that I just need to install. Looks like I have to pull the airbag. 

It does need the hvac blend door actuator replaced as well. 

I may go that direction on the rust as I definitely don't want to let it go. 

nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) New Reader
5/7/21 11:18 p.m.

A former racing buddy of mine had an Astro Van that he swapped a small-block Chevy V8 into to make it a better tow vehicle. Worked out well...

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
5/8/21 10:11 a.m.

White Chevy Vans around here have a lot of peeling paint  , as in big patches falling off !

It seems that Chevy had a real problem for years and ignored it since they started "shedding" paint after the warranty .

So be ready  for it  !

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/8/21 12:04 p.m.

I think i have some extra rear door handles and a drop in k&n if I didn't throw it away.  I'd be happy to see if i can send any leftovers from the astro stash your way.  I'd totally come get your triumph if we were closer

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/8/21 2:54 p.m.

I have a couple, three totes of parts as well. Interior bits, etc. LMK what you need.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/8/21 3:36 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

I will take you up on spares. If you are taking multiple things, I am happy to meet somewhere a bit closer to you. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yqRdU1diCwjzEOZrHjRbA3tHfTxx8JWyiIPkNYqwMkdWtKwkanMwECuOUfsBGuh8