1 2
OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
10/10/20 12:55 p.m.

I bought a big block 1972 Chevelle from a friend yesterday. I had history with the car from the Santa Barbara race scene in the 90s.  My friend gave it to his son and the Chevy lived outside in Astoria Oregon where it is wet and salty, hence the current condition. It has a 462 and a turbo 400. I would prefer a 4 speed (maybe that will come in the future). My current plans are to get it running, make it drive safe and clean up the interior. I don't think I will do anything to the body. I may por15 over the really bad spots just to clean them up. It came with a few boxes of parts to get it all back together. I will need to get new wheels because those are steel Cragar - Weld look alikes and are rusty. I am thinking torq thrust, Cragar s/s, or factory z28 style wheels. Not sure 

Alright, Alright, Aright!

My helpers

His and Hers shifter

The first car I built  when I was 17 was a 1970 SS 396 with Muncie rock crusher and 4:11 gears. It is what got me into working on cars, and probably kept me out of trouble most of the time. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
10/10/20 1:04 p.m.

Tuned in!

I am a certified Chevelle fanatic.

My 1st "build", if you will, was a '69 Malibu that was crunched in the nose.

307 w/ a 'glide and 3.07 gears.

Nothing spectacular, but I'd give a gonad to have it back.

One day, I'll have another. I hope.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/10/20 1:28 p.m.

MELBA TOAST!

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/10/20 1:42 p.m.

Sweet, another 72 A body!  

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/10/20 3:36 p.m.

Hells yeah!

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
10/10/20 8:34 p.m.

fist bump bro...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/10/20 9:27 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/10/20 10:46 p.m.

did somebody say '72 A-body? 

ok, so technically I think the Monte and GP were called "A Special", but who's counting?

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
10/10/20 10:57 p.m.

Fully approve of this project!!! And a Demon carb!

The first piece of clothing I bought myself (with lawn mowing money) was a Chevelle SS 396 sweatshirt I mail ordered from an ad in HOT ROD magazine back around 69-70 when I was 11-12 YO. Loved those cars! Used to just stand in my uncles Chevy dealer lot and look at them when they were brand new, examining all the details.

Fast forward 45 years and found myself working on one of the the dream cars of my youth. Former MLB player who was using it as a DD had me sorting issues after he'd bought it.

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/p/2436d3a3-ae8d-42ca-a9f6-f38899c0dff2][/URL]

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/p/fd04a970-173d-4943-8bd7-5629e6370bcf][/URL]

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
10/10/20 10:57 p.m.

Very cool!  Your helpers will always have fond memories as well ;)

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
10/11/20 10:14 a.m.

That there's a bitchin' hotrod.  Enjoy that sweet Demon carbonator for all of the screwdriver-turnin' nostalgia it may provide!

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
10/11/20 8:45 p.m.

Chevelles are cool and all, but I'm having trouble dragging my eyes away from that gorgeous 1970 Wildcat.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
10/18/20 3:32 p.m.

Put the helpers to work today to polish up the rusty wheels. I watched some youtube videos suggesting that tinfoil and diet coke will remove rust. It turned out pretty good!

We tried wd40 as well. 

Not 100% but definitely usable until I buy other wheels. 

Also, found out the car has a posi and huge 3" exhaust. 

I only have two kids, I recruited the other 2 - paid them in skittles

Also, Can't have a 72 Chevelle with out hood pins!

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
11/1/20 3:34 p.m.

Found out what was wrong with the starter, the outer ring for the planetary was stripped and oddly made of nylon.

Scored this bumper with brackets for $40 off CL. 

Had to do a fuel pump and ordered a gas tank (only $115 from jegs!) - probably easier and maybe cheaper than having the old one tanked, sealed.

lots of rust in the fuel system. It runs when hooked up to a gas can but not very well. I will have to pull apart the carb. 

Also, going to order a custom plate off  ebay for the front. 

Which on do you guys like better?

Gotta be L-I-V-I-N.

Great project.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/1/20 4:08 p.m.

Great work on those wheels!

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/1/20 4:30 p.m.

Never too early to teach a kid about plumber's-crack.  Lifetime skill there.

Car looks great!  Cleaned up much better than I expected.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
1/5/21 2:04 p.m.

Got a few things done on the Heavy Chevy

Gas tank and all things related were trashed, gas was the worst varnish I have ever smelled - All things gas related replaced and carb rebuilt. 

Put door handles and locks back on. The holes were welded up, I had to recreate the mounting areas. Pain in the arse.

Did a $10 gas station steering wheel restoration

Replaced the intake gasket, found some nice valve train parts, Painted all the engine chrome with wrinkle finish paint 

Alright, Alright, Alright! 

Rons
Rons Reader
1/5/21 8:56 p.m.

I'd like to hear a story about the Brumo's Porsche hood hanging on the wall.

preach
preach Reader
1/5/21 9:08 p.m.

In reply to Rons :

Me too.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/5/21 9:54 p.m.

My '61 Apache had 20-year old gas in it when I got it.  It positively stunk even -through- the closed cap.  Varnished the pickup sock in the tank so bad it was like it was dipped in Shellac.  Zero anything could get through.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
1/5/21 9:57 p.m.

I wish there was a good story.

I bought a $100 Porsche hood and painted it myself. I want to do a whole series of them, Pink Pig, Rothmans, Martini, Apple, ect. I also need a large minimalist modern house to hang them all in

: )

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
1/6/21 7:50 a.m.

In reply to OjaiM5 :

Don't forget the Leyton House!

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) UltraDork
1/6/21 7:50 a.m.

A-body's always look good on Cragar S/S. I love mine. Those wheels cleaned up great though! Nice find

iansane
iansane Reader
1/6/21 10:25 a.m.

Man I love a good chevelle.

My brother had a '70 that he was in the process of restoring before he passed away. I've been trying to get my hands on that car for years.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k28ItDJgo0UufTqDptNrIwsbFkOMOsY4jM5WtpxNs6JDWH9jHZ5VhubaQUcVRFHN