wawazat
wawazat Dork
2/26/21 4:00 p.m.

Woo Hoo!  Well played and looks good.

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/26/21 6:13 p.m.

If one shade of brown is good, more is better?

Nice work on the rust repair.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/26/21 8:25 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) :

Technically it was already 2 shades of brown due to paint work and bondo from the previous owner, so its "period correct"cheeky

logdog (Forum Supporter)
2/26/21 8:26 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Thanks!  It feels good to not see the rust holes anymore

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/1/21 8:12 a.m.

This weekend we put a pretty big dent in getting the interior finished.  We weighed several options but decided on some cedar planks.  The are light, thin, and easy enough to work with.  

Saturday morning we went and picked up 11 packs.  I like my Pacific cedar planking like I like my Nurses and French Maids...Knotty! (ba-dum-tss)

I know some people build a stud system to screw the planks to, some screw directly to the body ribs, I chose the body rib route to maximize interior space and because it was easier. We did put a strip of foam tape on all the ribs in a foolish attempt to control NVH.  A few progress pics-

Still have lots more to do but here is where we left off last night.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/2/21 8:30 a.m.

I spent some time last night working on the left rear corner.  It was a bit of a pain and I had to make a few pieces a couple times, but I think its going to turn out good.  The goal is to have it one piece and removeable in case I need to get into the taillight wiring. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/3/21 9:25 p.m.

Thats a lotta wood. surprise Lookin' good. Will it get a stain/clearcoat, just clear, or just let 'er weather?

BTW, I think the "new" brown over the repairs suits the van.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/4/21 1:36 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

The plan is for a stain, likely something like "Pecan".   Gotta make a trip to the Minwax aisle and see what looks interesting.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/4/21 7:14 p.m.

Slowly but surely making progress!

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/8/21 10:07 a.m.

Still have to finish staining some trim pieces, but the walls are D-U-N...Done!

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/9/21 3:37 p.m.

In the long term, this wall will get a custom cabinet that will cover the wheel well.  In the sort term I emptied the sticker box and turned it into a "conversation piece".  I kinda dig how it turned out but if I end up wanting to change I can either replace the butyl insulation or throw an extra layer over and make it silver again.  I stuck the spare back in and the spare junkyard hubcap looks nice.  While putting the spare outside would free up room, I prefer the looks without a door mounted spare.  Carrying the tire has been a pain while I had the old bed,  but the new bed design will let me keep the tire in the factory location.  

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
3/9/21 6:24 p.m.
logdog (Forum Supporter) said:

In the long term, this wall will get a custom cabinet that will cover the wheel well.  In the sort term I emptied the sticker box and turned it into a "conversation piece".  I kinda dig how it turned out but if I end up wanting to change I can either replace the butyl insulation or throw an extra layer over and make it silver again.  I stuck the spare back in and the spare junkyard hubcap looks nice.  While putting the spare outside would free up room, I prefer the looks without a door mounted spare.  Carrying the tire has been a pain while I had the old bed,  but the new bed design will let me keep the tire in the factory location.  

I see some familiar things there.laugh   Glad to add some content to the Candy Van!

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/10/21 7:38 a.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Absolutely! I think a few of yours ended up towards the top layer.  It takes a village to stickerbomb a wheelwell!

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/11/21 8:20 p.m.

Been working on the new bed over the last couple nights.

Bed goes in ...

Bed goes out...

Still need to do some sanding and a few tweaks but Im pretty happy with it.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/11/21 9:10 p.m.

I also made the one mod that makes it a home instead of a van.laugh

ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter)
ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/12/21 12:01 p.m.

Ok. That's clever. Nicely done.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/12/21 3:26 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks!  I basically followed these plans from REI.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/15/21 6:55 p.m.

Bed goes in.

Bed goes out!

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/15/21 6:56 p.m.

I want to add some skirting around the bottom to cover the underneath.  I need to hit the craft store and find something funky

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
3/15/21 7:05 p.m.
logdog (Forum Supporter) said:

I want to add some skirting around the bottom to cover the underneath.  I need to hit the craft store and find something funky

https://www.amazon.com/Handcrafted-Blankets-Artisanal-Handwoven-Authentic/dp/B08DKJPTVD/

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/15/21 7:08 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Those would match the blankets I bought in Oklahoma and turned into seat covers!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
3/15/21 7:10 p.m.

Gotta have a theme!

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/18/21 8:03 a.m.

Last night was Arts & Crafts time in the garage.  

Starting with a diner style cup from the Dollar store (2 for $1), a 3 to 2.5 inch exhaust adapter, a remote operated LED puck light (15 bucks for 6 pack at Wallyworld)...

We created these FANTASTIC sconces! The bracket on the back is a piece of an old fuel cell mount kit from my scrap bin.  They were painted with some silver paint that was in the cabinet for years looking for a project, and the cups were pushed into the adapters and glued into place with some window caulking that should have been thrown out long ago.  This picture doesn't show them but the puck lights fit nicely in the top of the adapter.  

I briefly hung them for a photo op but they are currently sitting in the basement where it is warmer so the silicon will cure.  

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/18/21 8:05 a.m.

A small video of the lights doing their thing! laugh

Linky Link

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/18/21 7:27 p.m.

This may not be the craziest build thread, but it is great being able to look back at all the stuff Ive done over the last couple years.

2 years 5 months and 17k miles later, not bad looking electrodes.  I mostly replaced them because I had a set and was curious how they were wearing and if all the cylinders were burning similar.  No point in sticking the old ones back if I went through the work of removing them.  I also did an oil change, air filter and fuel filter to get it ready for Spring cruising.  A few cranks to get fuel back up to the carb and she fired right off!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
exbcersACBmQQr8DcLa60YvvQZGsBy37wTdf3mzappm2zDZfQrLIJUdA0miZAv4C