11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
3/18/21 7:53 p.m.

In reply to logdog (Forum Supporter) :

Not bad for something pushing 40 years old and still rocking the original carburetor.  

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/29/21 10:47 a.m.

Not sure if I specifically laid out my goal, but I wanted to get this to "done until next winter" condition by the end of March.  Thats kinda the schedule we have been following over the last couple years, heaviest work over the winter, only minor or necessary work in nice weather months.  While I still have a couple things left I think we will hit the goal.  That way I can move on to other projects like the Mustang 2 and Chumpcar..

This weekend we installed an auxiliary heater.  Got the hook up on a Webasto unit.  Its the black box behind the drivers seat and will eventually get some sort of storage over it but in the short term will get a crate or something simple.  I will be installing a house battery under the bed that it will get hooked up to.  For testing I just ran the wire over the seat and hooked it to the main battery.  I found a 5L tank that fit great under the hood.  I had to extend the wires for the marker light, and move some wiring but it works great. 

A warm wife is a happy wife!  The older I get the more I hate the cold so Im looking forward to this when camping this spring and fall.

I also mounted once of those trunk cargo nets.  I had it sorta installed before we finished the walls and found it useful for stashing pillows/blankets and such when you needed them out of the way.

While I was working on the heater, Mrs Logdog was working on some of the trim for the edges of the flooring.  Its been bare since we but it down and its crazy how much a little stair step edging helps.  We also put bedliner on the step to match the front floor and steps.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
3/31/21 4:03 p.m.

Super exciting update here folks!

I *wanted* to make some custom lights for the main dome lights.  I had a few ideas but took the lazy road when I found these thin LED RV ceiling lights.  They are 4.5 inches in diameter and are nice and simple.  I think they blend in well.

Lights go off-

Lights go on!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
4/1/21 10:43 p.m.

Nice work!

Is that heater gasoline powered?  Diesel?  Propane?  I could google but would just as soon learn from you ;)

It all looks great.  The lights, the floor trim, the spider web portrait.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
4/2/21 11:30 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

Its a diesel heater. Which I guess makes the van a hybrid now...

I need to find a sticker for the back with something along the lines of "REAL HEATERS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS".  laugh

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
4/2/21 2:28 p.m.

Relative to the heater, that's a nice thing to add for sure and overall great looking work!  I'm sure you're already on this but please consider grabbing a battery powered carbon monoxide detector to keep in the van when you're using it.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
4/3/21 8:04 p.m.

In reply to logdog (Forum Supporter) :

Nice work...on the heater, fuel system, AND the joke.

And thanks for the info.  Looks like a neat setup.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
4/4/21 9:29 a.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

One step ahead of you. It is a good idea.  Mrs Logdog ordered one the other day.  

logdog (Forum Supporter)
4/4/21 9:32 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

The stock heater in these is pretty lame.  I think if it had the heavy duty heater it would be better, but the base heater core is so tiny.  When I think back to trips like the 2019 Moscow rally I realize the Webasto would have been worth its weight in gold!

logdog (Forum Supporter)
4/4/21 10:02 a.m.

Yesterday we took the van out for its first trip since last fall.  Around 250 miles of Pennsylvanning partially in New York.  Went up to the Catskills, across to Binghamton, down to Wilkes-Barre and back home while avoiding interstates.

A few pics.

Unfortunately in the bright sunlight the color difference is easy to see, but hey, its a rolling work in progress!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
4/4/21 8:19 p.m.

Those photos made me smile.

ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter)
ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/5/21 9:31 a.m.
logdog (Forum Supporter) said:

Unfortunately in the bright sunlight the color difference is easy to see, but hey, its a rolling work in progress!

And that is the key right there. I really regret tearing down my truck to a non-running status. It would be so much more enjoyable as a useable vehicle.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
4/5/21 7:28 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter) :

Thats the biggest problem with my CJ5 and motivation.  Its been a non driver since I brought it home, even though Ive put in a bunch of time and money.  Its all work and no play.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
4/5/21 7:37 p.m.

On the Saturday drive a couple things popped up that I addressed Sunday.  First I had the starter relay do a click, no start.  Only happened once but it looks like the original 1982 part so it got a new one.

The blower motor has been squeaky and noisy for awhile.  Apparently sitting over the winter really upped its squeaking.  Picked up a replacement  for 15 bucks after coupon and Im not sure why I waited so long to swap it.  Sooooo much quieter.

​​​​Panel alignment in 1982 was questionable at best for vans rolling off the line.  After removing the doors for rust repair I didnt quite get them exactly back so I spent some time tweaking them.  They are not perfect but the doors shut better than they ever did. Baby steps!

logdog (Forum Supporter)
4/7/21 7:58 p.m.

The stock jack doesn't really work.  Im guessing corrosion has taken over the inside.  I don't want to carry a big floor jack so I bought a shorty bottle jack.  By luck it actually fits in the stock location really well.

While the inside has been finished, it still gets to serve as tire hauler.  I have 13 wheels and tires to drop off at my tire guy.  He loves the van.  He has a 3 on the tree truck and says we have the only ones left in the county.  I will take his word for it.laugh

logdog (Forum Supporter)
4/26/21 8:05 a.m.

With all the attention being given to the Mustang 2 lately, the van needed a little love.  We finally finished modifying the mattress for the new bed.  Its now a 2 piece and only half will stay full time inside the van since the bed will stay in "twin" position 99% of the time. We put some rug nonslip mat under the mattress (and the rug) which seems to do a really good job of holding it in place when driving.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
5/16/21 6:15 a.m.

Kinda weird.... I found out today that my van got posted on a "Unappreciated Survivors" page on Facebook.  Im not sure who Ryan is but I guess its cool he digs the van.  They are all pictures from when we first brought it home.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/16/21 8:42 a.m.

Kinda weird.... I found out today that my van got posted on a "Unappreciated Survivors" page on Facebook.  Im not sure who Ryan is but I guess its cool he digs the van.  They are all pictures from when we first brought it home.

I'm a part of that group and saw it on there. People loved it btw

logdog (Forum Supporter)
5/16/21 5:28 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Seems to be going around FB now with all the shares.  It is a cool survivor, but it still seems weird to me someone would post it.  Pretty soon Im going to have to fight off the paparazzi once people discover the Disco'Stang!laugh

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/16/21 6:16 p.m.

Seems to be going around FB now with all the shares.  It is a cool survivor, but it still seems weird to me someone would post it.  Pretty soon Im going to have to fight off the paparazzi once people discover the Disco'Stang!laugh

I found my Rampage on several Facebook groups when I was driving it across America, it's a weird feeling really lol

logdog (Forum Supporter)
5/17/21 7:50 a.m.

I need to get one of those decals with @logdogmotorsports on it.  Turn the sharing into a marketing opportunity!laugh

logdog (Forum Supporter)
7/3/21 2:49 p.m.

Danica the Rally Cat and Hank the Vanadillo have a new friend.  The van was used on a little adventure to pick up a beared dragon. 

logdog (Forum Supporter)
7/11/21 7:22 p.m.

I feel guilty the Disco'Stang is getting all the love lately.  Took the van out for a little Pennsylvanning and stopped by the Archbald Pothole.  Its the greatest part of living in NEPA.  You can see the van in the top right corner 

logdog (Forum Supporter)
7/29/21 8:45 p.m.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
8/4/21 8:33 p.m.

Took a nice relaxing drive tonight across the river in NY 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yRTvXf8FqVAt3aXscbKukDkbYAfAx4VA7cOZK8wgwcf2bOJ6iesCuvjzWMILJ2gG