logdog
logdog UltraDork
12/9/18 7:49 p.m.

Lemony curtains for a Lemony Rally!

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
12/9/18 9:01 p.m.

The curtains are a nice touch smiley

So will this be performing Champcar trackside support duties or is the minivan sticking around for that job?

logdog
logdog UltraDork
12/10/18 6:40 a.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

It will take over Champcar duties for Watkins.  For Gingerman we will do like last year and only bring the truck & trailer.   The minivan is for sale which is really worthy of the Minor Rant thread laugh

logdog
logdog UltraDork
12/14/18 9:13 p.m.

The sweet new hoops we ordered came in.  While the ones on the van have plenty of tread, they are over 10 years old and I don't want to drive to Alabama on them.  

White walls in or out....hmmmm...

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
12/15/18 9:14 a.m.

please Please PLEASE spring for a set of Torque Thrusts.  This would be so bitchin with Torque Thrusts and just a hint more stance.  Air shocks?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/15/18 11:02 a.m.
logdog said:

Luckily everything came up Milhouse! 

I just found and read the thread.  I've laughed out loud a couple of times.  I love the van and your vision for it and use of it.  I have an odd fascination of short full size vans even though I have no justified need for one (like I have a justified need for ANY of my projects, lol).  

I'll be watching with interest and searching the local classifieds in earnest ;) 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/15/18 11:05 a.m.
logdog said:

White walls in or out....hmmmm...

I was never a fan of those silly little white stripes when they were the standard.  I don't know how anyone ever called that a white "wall".   Anyhow...I'd put them in but that's just a personal preference.  I've found I like white, silver, or gray painted steel wheels (body color is good in this situation as well) as opposed to black.

I think your white wheels and black wall tires look pretty good in the opening post!

logdog
logdog UltraDork
1/6/19 7:49 p.m.

Its been a couple weeks since we touched the Candy Van.  We spent some time enjoying California and their sun.  We caught a bug on the flight back so the last few days were a little rough but today we were feeling a little better and tackled a couple things on the to-do list in prep for the rally.   Hard to believe its only a couple weeks away!

Since the van has no windows and little tiny sport mirrors we added a cheapie backup camera.  Its wired to be on anytime the ignition is on.  A coworker gave us a vintage CB radio and magnet mount antenna we installed as well.  The wiring isn't the cleanest but the CB will not stay installed once the rally is over.   I used one of the headliner screws to mount it.

The magnet wasnt as strong as I would have liked so it got a little tape to help hold it.  Nothing but the best!

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
1/8/19 9:28 p.m.

Excellent.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
1/9/19 12:32 a.m.

You might get better reception with that antenna on the roof. I remember reading that my HAM radio should work better set up like; something about a ground plane? Perhaps CB is the same. 

I had a brown 83 (or 84?) Econoline for a while in college. It was our dive van, as my roommate had a motorcycle and I had my old miata as our only vehicles. Can't carry too much gear on those two. I installed a delightful pirate flag on a pipe attached to the rear bumper. 

That van also moved some friends and acted as a mobile gaming rig with the addition of a TV, XBOX, and milk crate. 

I still have a nice scar on my thumb from twirling the air cleaner while doing a tune up. That expanded metal can be pretty darn sharp. 

TL;DR vans are rad and I like yours laugh

dclafleur
dclafleur New Reader
1/9/19 8:29 a.m.

The van is as awesome as described, it was good meeting you in California!  

logdog
logdog UltraDork
1/9/19 11:42 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Excellent.

Is that a Mr Burns "Excellent" or a Bill and Ted "Excellent"?

logdog
logdog UltraDork
1/9/19 11:46 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

You might get better reception with that antenna on the roof. I remember reading that my HAM radio should work better set up like; something about a ground plane? Perhaps CB is the same. 

I had a brown 83 (or 84?) Econoline for a while in college. It was our dive van, as my roommate had a motorcycle and I had my old miata as our only vehicles. Can't carry too much gear on those two. I installed a delightful pirate flag on a pipe attached to the rear bumper. 

That van also moved some friends and acted as a mobile gaming rig with the addition of a TV, XBOX, and milk crate. 

I still have a nice scar on my thumb from twirling the air cleaner while doing a tune up. That expanded metal can be pretty darn sharp. 

TL;DR vans are rad and I like yours laugh

We left enough slack in the wire I can move it if needed.  I thought about the roof but figured I would spent a lot of time picking it up after it got knocked over. 

Vans are awesome!

logdog
logdog UltraDork
1/9/19 11:52 a.m.
dclafleur said:

The van is as awesome as described, it was good meeting you in California!  

Good meeting you too! 

If you think the van is awesome now, just wait until the rally gets closer.....

Antihero
Antihero Dork
1/9/19 11:56 a.m.
logdog said:
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Excellent.

Is that a Mr Burns "Excellent" or a Bill and Ted "Excellent"?

First one, then the other?

logdog
logdog UltraDork
1/12/19 6:51 p.m.

Today was tire day for the Candy Van. No more 10+ year old hoops.  Although I did replace the 37 year old spare with one of the tires I removed so I guess I should say "now with 75% less 10+ year old tires".

eastpark
eastpark Reader
1/13/19 6:58 a.m.

Old school awesome!

logdog
logdog UltraDork
1/14/19 6:54 a.m.

We took it out a test drive on the new tires and even though I bought some Nexans, the almost cheapest tires, there was a small improvement in ride.  

The barn lends itself to Pennsylvanning shots. laugh

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
1/14/19 8:03 a.m.

I'd say you made the right choice with the blackwalls out, looks great! yes

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
1/14/19 8:18 a.m.

Nice job on the van.  You know a set of Baby Moons and rings may give it some Old School charm.

Image result for baby moons caps

logdog
logdog UltraDork
1/14/19 8:46 a.m.
Dead_Sled said:

I'd say you made the right choice with the blackwalls out, looks great! yes

Thanks!  

logdog
logdog UltraDork
1/14/19 8:48 a.m.
Dirtydog said:

Nice job on the van.  You know a set of Baby Moons and rings may give it some Old School charm.

Image result for baby moons caps

I really like those types of caps.  I wish I could lower it a couple inches but everything Ive read on these says its basically impossible without lots of custom work.  

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
1/14/19 9:14 a.m.

While I agree this thing could look badass dropped on baby moons, I'd keep it just as it is, you just don't see stuff this old around here in this good of shape unless it's some guys custom baby.  This thing is so stealth except for the fact that you haven't seen one this clean in 20 years.  Plain Jane work vans like this returned to the earth long ago.  I think this thing is perfect for bombing around some PA backroads on a rally or with the side door open while tailgating at a race.  

logdog
logdog UltraDork
1/21/19 1:10 p.m.

While I dont have time to get the mirrored ceiling and black lights installed before the rally, I did hang a banner from the Champcar trailer.  That counts, right?

At this point we are basically to the "finish packing and cross your fingers" phase of the trip.  I ordered a couple spare parts but its hard to figure out where to stop.  After all, whatever breaks won't be a part we have. 

logdog
logdog UltraDork
1/24/19 6:19 p.m.

Picked these bad boys up at a truck stop this week.  A little extra decoration for the Rally.  We have a couple other tricks up our sleeve.  Stay tuned....

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cmn2zX6POKHyc9kIYloVuodHzY64nMsUrfGmVqOt3YaV5M1nWz1Jz7gcER8c6Sh7