1 2
Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/23/22 9:37 a.m.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/23/22 9:55 p.m.

Let's try this again.  I tried posting this from my phone twice today and got the same error message, so let's try the desktop...

Yesterday was the first autocross in this car finally.  Another major local group had a test and tune, and I was looking forward to trying it at the Wright Patterson AFB Museum.  I was joined by 3 other twins including another BRZ, an FRS, and a brand new GR86.

For being a new drivetrain, size, first 6 sp, etc I felt pretty comfy by the afternoon runs.  My fastest times were actually staying in 2nd (I experimented in 1st and 3rd a few times), but the parking lot had a lot of gravel which made for a bit of rallycross.  Just more fun to be had.

(That's actually an RX8 mixed in, the other BRZ pulled in behind me after this)

My times were decent by the end of the day, listening to other times from more seasoned drivers.  Even the dethkart Miata-thing was a second slower than my best and 2nd best time.  Now debating things like Hawk 5.0 brakes up front, change the Federal RS-RR tires to Extreme Contacts, etc...

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/24/22 8:44 a.m.

And I tried just clicking the two buttons on the console for traction control stuff.  Pretty sure I had some form of traction control kick in a few times.  Maybe I need to learn the Pedal Dance?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
5/24/22 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Yes, the traction/stability stuff on these is very persistent even when "off".  You need the pedal dance, some sort of box, or to unplug the big green ABS pump fuse if you want to truly turn stuff off.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/27/22 8:37 a.m.

Some Photoshop fun from last weekend.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
6/6/22 7:32 a.m.

Yesterday was the 1st event for WOR SCCA (& joint with the other group - Miami Valley Sports Car Club), great weather equals 95 cars.  So 3 run groups, 5 runs for the day, ended about 4pm.  Not bad.  Still learning the car, the battery hold down bar was loose, I think the wonderful garage I took it to recently for oil change and rear brakes/fluid can be blamed.  (That's a story unto itself.)

Got faster over 5 runs, finally broke into the 49s last run, listening to other times I was doing ok by then.  Although the new '22 GR86 was at 47.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
6/6/22 10:15 a.m.

I had no idea they ran Autocross at the Museum.  If it happens again post it, it's not that far from Delaware. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
6/6/22 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Yesterday was at Kil-Kare Raceway in Xenia, the normal site for WOR.  MVSCC started using the museum a year or two ago, August 7th is the next one I believe.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/4/22 7:11 a.m.

Facebook Memories reminded me yesterday was the 1yr anniversary of purchase, I meant to post something yesterday but SWMBO wanted to get Mexican for dinner, then ice cream.  Yum.

I have no regrets on purchase.  This thing is a hoot to drive, the turbo and trombone-like exhaust make me smile every time.  I still love the IRP short shifter!

A few weeks ago I took it for an oil change and they let me know the rear brakes were low, I said do it and flush the brake fluid while you're there.  It was just before an autocross so seemed prudent.  It took 3 days to get parts for an 8yr old Subaru, but whatever.  They mentioned spark plugs, quoted like $800, I said I'll pass for now.  I know there's labor involved, but it can't be that bad?

Next weekend's autocross got canceled for lack of officials to run the event, so guess I'll manage until August.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/13/22 8:51 a.m.

Made another event on Sunday, rain incoming made it a short one.  We did two run groups, did all 5 runs at once, and the rain started a bit on run #4 and definitely #5 (2nd group).  That wall at Kil-Kare looms large at the finish in the rain, a fairly fast right sweeper.  Last run became a parade lap on the Federal RS-RR tires at that point.

I did manage a pretty nifty near-spin in the mid-field on #3 that I saved and it looked cool on the GoPro so that's what mattered.

I figure if I make one more event next month that makes half a season & that was my goal for this year.  I haven't done that many since 2018.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
6/19/23 1:29 p.m.

9 months since I visited this thread?  Lest you think the 944 has been getting all the attention I made it to my 2nd autocross this year yesterday.  The new XS class only had 3 other entries but I held my own fairly well, only getting out of shape on the 7th/7 run going into an optional slalom that I WANTED to be on the left side but probably should have gone with the right side...  Still didn't hit any cones though!

I'm getting myself out of the habit of coasting when I come up to a turn, and instead keeping at least some gas pedal involved if not "sending it".  It showed by run 6 (& would have on run 7 if I hadn't gotten out of sorts).  I'm loving this car, and think the only thing that would make me change is a GR Corolla.  I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Looks like I never mentioned the new Firestone Indy 500's earlier this year.  Yeah, no regrets.  I wish they made sizes that fit the 16" Porsche wheels.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/13/23 8:13 p.m.

Made another event today. SCCA last month was no good due to scheduling, next month same dilemma. But today a different group that uses the Air Force museum had one.

This was the only photo of the car I took. Shade in the early morning gave way to bright sun and humidity for the next 7 hours. And I worked a corner for the first time in many years, so I couldn't wander around and find shade.

Made for a long day but still had fun. 10 runs that mostly got better each time (except for a few humorous exceptions). Of course the GoPro died before run 10 when things got a bit unsettled and I got multiple compliments for the save.

I think I'm skipping September and doing the final event in October. 90% chance the weather will be more hospitable.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/20/23 7:24 a.m.

Went to the Dayton Cars and Coffee yesterday, the Porsche is still in the shop waiting on German parts so I took the BRZ. Got there early so plenty of room in the last parking lot.

Walked a bit and came back to this bro-dozer truck behind me. Hard to see the line in this photo so I drew red lines. No indentation in the bumper at least.

You can see him in this photo. I did like all his pretty LEDs.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/21/23 9:54 p.m.

Apparently the slow leak in the AC is not as slow anymore.  I was just thinking it's been a few months since I charged it, and yesterday it felt pretty warm.  Charged it up, felt cold, thought I was set for the year.

Today it was warm again.  checked it when I got home and instead of 34-38# from before it was now about 6#.  Perfect timing this week...

I'll deal with it next summer, maybe I'll find a GR Corolla by then.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1JkK9YCXm6ba2BrPFIAWwToQ2xx0ZjyIcinIm9O8jngMvPmNWhy0RNsWyav3fAA1