4 5 6
shadowshaggy
shadowshaggy New Reader
7/5/18 1:45 p.m.

This is both obscene and hilarious devil 

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto New Reader
7/5/18 10:22 p.m.

For those you you who don't want to deal with Facebook videos.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/6/18 6:27 a.m.
AwesomeAuto said:

Fuel system is reinstalled. Upgrading from last year's Single AEM 380 and a MISTAKE of Fasster inline filters, to dual AEM380s, spin-on filters, and a flex fuel sensor on the return. I have several gas stations nearby with E85 available. That'll help when I make the switch to the new engine, and aluminum 5.3 with 10.5:1 compression.

I'm stuck on transmission issues. The TH400 that is in it has started to slip. I have a brand new converter for it, but I don't want to risk putting it into a failing transmission. Someone gave me a stock TH400 converter, but it uses the large bolt pattern, so I have to modify another flexplate and buy a snout adapter to run it. As soon as I get the snout adapter, the engine will be back in (its currently dangling over the front of the car now).

Could you please explain how the flex fuel sensor works?  I remember you have a mega squirt system so how do you get the input from the flex fuel sensor to richen up the fuel and advance the timing?   

Also where did you source your sensor?  If I crawl under a car with that emblem on it what do I look for?  ( big sheepish grin) or is it a few bucks on some internet site?  

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto Reader
7/6/18 8:35 a.m.

GM style flex fuel sensor from ebay for probably $35. It outputs a 12v pulsed signal. In microsquirt, you just enable flex fuel, adjust a few very small settings, and it does the rest, scaling fuel/spark based on ethanol %.

You adjust sensor frequency to match the sensor, 0 to 100% on ethanol, 100% fuel multiplier for gasoline and ~160% for ethanol, whether or not you'll add any timing for 100% ethanol (I usually do 4-6 degrees), and the rest is usually just more sensor settings. Most microsquirts are defaulted to GM sensor values, so all you do is enable flex fuel and hit OK, no changes. It will automatically scale between the values based on ethanol %, so you can fill up with gas or E85 at will with no tuning changes.

I have the sensor on my return line so it is less of a flow restriction. They usually come with simple push on quick connect fittings.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/6/18 8:45 a.m.

In reply to AwesomeAuto :

That’s great, I think I’m going to use GM flex fuel injectors and GM sensors on my Jaguar to make working with the mega squirt system easier.  

It wont really matter since even Jaguar batch fires their injectors.   You’ve been a wonderful amount of help  thank you 

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto Reader
7/6/18 8:49 a.m.

Yeah, megasquirt makes it extremely simple to use. 3 wires on the sensor. It just needs ground, 12v switched, and signal to the megasquirt. 30 second configuration, and you're good to fill up with either gas or E85 anytime you want, with zero extra tuning.

smokeysevin
smokeysevin New Reader
7/9/18 11:16 a.m.
AwesomeAuto said:

Yeah, megasquirt makes it extremely simple to use. 3 wires on the sensor. It just needs ground, 12v switched, and signal to the megasquirt. 30 second configuration, and you're good to fill up with either gas or E85 anytime you want, with zero extra tuning.

I am playing around with using the ethanol content as an input to limit rpm and boost on a supercharged motor with higher than ideal compression ratio pistons. 

IE

100-90% ethanol RPM limit 8500rpms (boost limited to 18.5psi)

10-30% ethanol RPM limit 7700rpms (boost limited to 12psi)

Not sure how well it will work but it makes sense to me.

Sean

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto Reader
7/9/18 1:03 p.m.
smokeysevin said:
AwesomeAuto said:

I am playing around with using the ethanol content as an input to limit rpm and boost on a supercharged motor with higher than ideal compression ratio pistons. 

IE

100-90% ethanol RPM limit 8500rpms (boost limited to 18.5psi)

10-30% ethanol RPM limit 7700rpms (boost limited to 12psi)

Not sure how well it will work but it makes sense to me.

Sean

In a case like that, you'll see huge gains when running ethanol.

I've configured mine in the past so that the water/meth injection either doesn't spray above a certain E%, or sprays at a different boost pressure.
I do something similar with my 2nd fuel pump, etc.

smokeysevin
smokeysevin New Reader
7/10/18 2:58 p.m.

Makes sense, mine is a marine application so the no ethanol version is basically limp home mode. 

Sean 

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/10/18 4:49 p.m.

In reply to smokeysevin :

Sorry to muck this up AA..... But please tell us more Sean.... Build thread? :D

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/17/18 6:19 p.m.

May I impose on you for a few minutes please?  Would you be good enough to measure your front tires?  Outside to outside.  I had a brain fart. I need to get the weight of the Jaguar XJS down and one big heavy thing in the front is the removable front cross member. It’s easily well over 200 pounds maybe more!  You’d swear the pieces belong on a 3/4 ton pickup they are so heavy.  

In the past I Swiss cheesed it but I was still stuck with those heavy steel forgings instead of  the Aluminum of a C4 Corvette.  

If I go shopping what would a good price be to pay for the front suspension on a C4 C5 Corvette or should I just buy a wreck and part it out keeping the front suspension?  

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
7/17/18 11:10 p.m.

Pretty sure I saw the Chupacabra on a Hoonigan video murdering a set of back tires

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/18/18 12:18 a.m.
Justjim75 said:

Pretty sure I saw the Chupacabra on a Hoonigan video murdering a set of back tires

No, that's Leroy the Savage, a twin-turbo C5 Vette Kart built by Cleetus MacFarland of 1320 Video fame that goes low-8's in the 1/4 mile. His YouTube is awesome. He lives in the same state as the Chupacabra and I've been trying to goad them both into getting together.

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron Reader
7/18/18 8:17 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I payed $800 for complete front and rear end drop outs from a 1988 Vette on a set of wheels.  Just for the front suspension I wouldn't pay over $400 especially if it's earlier than 87.

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto Reader
7/18/18 9:06 a.m.
Javelin said:
Justjim75 said:

No, that's Leroy the Savage, a twin-turbo C5 Vette Kart built by Cleetus MacFarland of 1320 Video fame that goes low-8's in the 1/4 mile. His YouTube is awesome. He lives in the same state as the Chupacabra and I've been trying to goad them both into getting together.

No, FasterProms built the car. Garrett Mitchell and his alter ego aren't mechanically inclined enough to build a car, which is why someone else is always wrenching on it in his videos.

And no, we don't live in the same state.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/18/18 11:23 a.m.
Ram50Ron said:

In reply to frenchyd :

I payed $800 for complete front and rear end drop outs from a 1988 Vette on a set of wheels.  Just for the front suspension I wouldn't pay over $400 especially if it's earlier than 87.

Is there an advantage to going later than 1987? Also where did you find it, EBay or Craigslist? Or is there a web site devoted to Corvette stuff ? 

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron Reader
7/18/18 11:34 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Craigslist is where I found mine, I bought it whole so I didn't have anymore headaches of piecing stuff together.  you probably could find something on ebay but I like the baragaining aspect of the List more. There was some geometry changes and brake upgrades in either 87 or 88.  The Corvette guys would know the specifics. Linky

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/18/18 2:00 p.m.

In reply to Ram50Ron :

Thank you. 

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
7/18/18 4:23 p.m.

I have built a number of cars with C4 suspension.  I'm building a 1963 Cheetah Roadster inspired car now that uses C4 suspension. I actually have 2 extra sets and a complete and running 1985 C4 that I have up for sale for $1700.  (Cleaning out the garage from projects I'll never get to)  

Chevy made suspension and brake changes in 88.  In the rear they lowered the lower control arm mounts at the diff to lower the roll center.  The brackets are interchangeable with the 84-87s.  The E  brake switched from drum to a lever on the caliper that used the disc. 

In the front the spindles are taller 88 and up.  So, the upper Aframe mounts are taller as well.  

I have my Cheetah frame jig so I can build the frame with mounting points for all years of front suspensions.  The rear mounts are the same for all years. 

While the 88 and up geometry is better the 84-87 stuff works well too.  

I run a front sway bar only.  

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/27/18 5:02 p.m.

I’m going to use GM Delco sensors to drive the input into my Mega Squirt. 

Makes sense since they are so readily available. While some Lucas are NLS.  

One problem. I can’t think of any GM vehicle that has more than One MAS or MAF

off the top of your head can you?   

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto Reader
7/30/18 8:58 p.m.

Took the car to a car show. Unfinished. Won the "Best Backyard Creation" award. 

Then decided, I need to finish the car up and make it look the way I originally intended it to. 
So now, I'm just trying to find a way to relocate the intercooler and radiator, mount the headlights, and go scare children.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
7/30/18 9:15 p.m.

and go scare children.    

I scrolled down and then my wife asked why I was laughing. Long day, thanks I needed that!

smiley

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto Reader
8/19/18 4:46 p.m.

I know I have been major slacking on actual results with the car, but its been one small problem after another.

1. Stock TH400.
-With the trans-go boost valve for the vacuum modulator, the transmission wants to shift at 4500, even after adjusting the modulator. It also creates a huge boost leak. 
-For anyone wanting to run a vacuum modulated TH400, save your money and buy an ebay manual boost controller instead. Do NOT buy the transgo valve. 
-Hook up the $15 ebay boost controller in reverse, so that boost will force the ball to close off the flow to the modulator, and vacuum will pull the ball away from the orifice.
-Works just as well for less than half the cost and MUCH less boost leak.

2. Stock big pattern converter from a diesel.
-This thing stalls like 1200 RPM behind a 4.8, and I'm running tractor fluid on top of it. Even at an 1100 RPM idle, it drops to ~600 in gear and tries to stall out.
-I have a custom spec PTC converter ready to go in, but I'm waiting on a built trans so I don't fill it with metal from a trashed stock trans.
-I'm flat broke LOL so no built trans anytime soon.

3. Possibly cracked 706 head on the driver side.
-Every time I make boost, I get a little bit of spray on my windshield and some smoke pouring out.
-It doesn't appear to be coming from the radiator, maybe one of the steam ports? I suspected a cracked head last year from a similar experience. 
-It also looks like my transgo boost valve has smoke coming out of it under boost.
-It smells like coolant everytime I make boost now.

4. Lack of dyno time. 
-My buddy recently sold his dyno. I don't have anywhere to dyno the car at a moments notice. 
-I need diagnostic dyno time to figure out my issues. Next week is the quickest anyone can get me in, and I'll be 1000 miles away from home.

5. Hunt for a new engine.
-Looking to replace the 4.8 with an aluminum 5.3. I've done hundreds of calculations and simulations and the car will pick up drastically more than the .5L increase would normally amount to.
-Turbo efficiency, cam effectiveness both become wildly inflated swapping from a stock 4.8 to a 10.5:1 5.3.

5. Other projects.
-I've recently started building an engine dyno for small engines. Hydraulic brake dyno up to ~50 HP. I plan on doing back to back comparisons on parts and upgrades for common go kart engines for YouTube. Its nearly complete.
-80cc 2 stroke powerwheels for my daughter. Waiting on shaft collars and 2 pillow bearings and its done.
-Selling my house. Market value is through the roof. Neighbors sold their house last week for about $100k more than I owe on mine. Hoping to sell, put down payment on a bigger house with some land and a shop, pay off all of my debts, and finish both of my cars. 

I'm a major slacker when it comes to posting updates. I've driven the car every single bright sunny day since I got it running again. I've even driven it in the pouring rain. Financial difficulties have become my biggest hang-up. Not really going through hard times or anything, just too much else going on to focus time and money into the cars. 

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
8/21/18 11:49 a.m.
AwesomeAuto said:

5. Other projects.
-80cc 2 stroke powerwheels for my daughter. Waiting on shaft collars and 2 pillow bearings and its done.

Oh man...  You have to do a build thread for this.  My parents bought a Ford Raptor powerwheels thing for my kids.  While I was putting it together, I had terrible ideas like AWD twin electric motors, Predator engines, etc.  My parents would roll their eyes.  My wife would kill me.  My kids would think I'm cool (They're young.  I've still got a few more years of this).  2 stroke sounds like silly fun.

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto Reader
8/22/18 9:08 p.m.
bigeyedfish said:
AwesomeAuto said:

5. Other projects.

Oh man...  You have to do a build thread for this.  My parents bought a Ford Raptor powerwheels thing for my kids.  While I was putting it together, I had terrible ideas like AWD twin electric motors, Predator engines, etc.  My parents would roll their eyes.  My wife would kill me.  My kids would think I'm cool (They're young.  I've still got a few more years of this).  2 stroke sounds like silly fun.

I might try to. Its already running. The biggest hurdle has been the rear axle, but I've gotten that figured out now. Parts are delivering the day after labor day. I should have it out drifting again then.

I was originally going to use a predator engine. Then I would have a centrifugal clutch instead of a level activated clutch, and a built in fuel tank. Size and power were the problems. It was physically too large to sit in the front without cutting it completely off and redoing it. I made this to drift, and on the little plastic wheels it came with from the factory, I shouldn't need anymore than the 1.5 horsepower, not to mention my daughter will be riding it at some point. 

4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VRE7Yx63CznD9RJSAvms0PKCBwHmbUYE8Bbi0l8W4hyKavchXkFNsLW9vTCds7CZ