8 9 10 11 12
barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/25/20 8:23 p.m.

So I finally sat down today and made a list of everything I think still needs done and everything that I still need to buy before the car can be driven. It's not a long list. I may be closer than I thought. 

To start the car all that is needed is: 

the exhaust actually bolted on,

plugs, wires, cap, rotor (all of which I have)

oil

fuel pump mounted and plumbed,

fp block off plate installed

carb installed

starter wired, 12v to the distributor, ignition switch. 

that list may look big, but it is so small. After that all I need to actually drive is:

brake line for rear

driveline verified for length, new ujoint 

rag joint, 

gas pedal. 

radiator hoses, fan  

alt. belt  

battery mounted  

Suddenly I'm way optimistic about finishing on time

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/26/20 9:39 a.m.

Maybe pictures of lists are better than just the text?

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/26/20 9:56 a.m.

Lol. You got this. Im looking forward to a good distance shot of the new proportions 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/26/20 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I'll see about getting a side by side tomorrow with my fox mudstain for reference. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/27/20 2:51 p.m.

Headers.

-Cleaned up all mating surfaces, found gaskets, bolted in. 

Intake. 
- stock intake port matched, cleaned, installed. 

Valve covers. 
-cleaned, gaskets added, installed

Distributor. 
- cleaned, inspected, installed. 

Fuel pump. 

- boss cleaned, pushrod removed, block off plate installed

Water pump  

-installed

productive morning. Lunch break. Going to attempt to finalize the exhaust, install plugs and wires, carburetor. Then it's driveline measuring time, then if I still have energy I'll start the fuel system.

When we yanked this engine, I flipped it and pulled the pan and a couple main caps. The bearings were decently worn, but not bad. This told me that the engine had run. No metal or debris was found, good signs. It had been sitting for several years at least, and had a good coating of Chevy sludge. The carb was dirty, so I rebuilt it. I was obviously not the first person to open this Q-jet either. If the van was running with that carb in that condition (springs missing, metering rods out of place, wild idle adjustments) it couldn't have been running that well. I'm pretty confident in my Q-jet rebuilding abilities though so at least for the initial rundown it'll be good. The cap and rotor look to be in very good shape, and everything seems well with the distributor. I'm assuming the lack of metal in the bottom means that the cam still has all it's lobes. And no sludge. I'm pretty confident it's gonna run well. 

I did not clean the valley, this engine has been rebuilt, we put a mic on one of the piston skirts, and it appeared to be .030 over, which means our 400 is actually a 406. Which is neat. But I know the rebuild was ok since the mains show so much wear. At least I'm hoping the bearings were replaced. Anyway. One more, then back at it. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/27/20 2:57 p.m.

What kind of rag joint do you need?

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/27/20 5:49 p.m.

The rag joint was a stubborn bastard. 

it was super tight. Something to do with the body being directly on the frame instead of on thick rubber body mounts. And the brake booster is stupid. And some ding dong put clutch linkage right there too. Anyway. Done. 

Never again. Also, I think I'm getting old. I put chrome on my racecar. 

that odd looking reflection is the steering idler arm. I'd have liked to use a mechanical fuel pump, but Henry II didn't anticipate someone doing this swap and he put the crossmember right in the way. Luckily I have an electric pump I robbed from a junk bound truck. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/27/20 6:52 p.m.

almost like a real car again. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/27/20 7:28 p.m.

I predict you'll be driving before August 1st (first drive at least)

yes

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/27/20 9:12 p.m.

Exhaust is done. finished welding, gaskets in place, toight like a toiger. 

and, in homage to the super awesome guy that sent me headers:

i friggin love that. Give her both barrels!

Then, for size reference.

I assume everyone is familiar with the size/height/stance of a bone stock fox body mudstain? Yes? Good. Behold:

It's no petite, but neither is it monstrous. 
the roof is 4-5" lower than the mustang, seating position is about 2" lower. Should be way faster. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/27/20 9:13 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

That's the goal! Thanks for your vote of confidence. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/28/20 5:38 p.m.

Looking through the pictures I took yesterday. Perspective and scale is so hard to show. 
in this photo the van is a 77 Plymouth 1/2 ton:

it totally dwarfs the thunderbird, but the next photo has a different level of zoom and from a different angle:

it should be noted as well that the funderbird is <1' longer than the mudstain overall. 
As for proportions from a distance, very little front end overhang, and in a perfect world I'd have liked to shorten the trunk a bit, but can't for several reasons.

my measurements say the wheelbase is 5" longer than a fox mustang, and the track is wide. Maybe we'll have traction? Gotta figure out bumpers  

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) SuperDork
6/28/20 5:57 p.m.

Love seeing the progress on this! Can't wait to see it in person.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/28/20 6:28 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr (FS) :

You're running under the assumption that we actually make it. If, by some miracle we don't have mechanical issues, and the car doesn't fall apart at my mediocre welds, AND we don't get impounded ... well, chances are you'll get close enough to the car to accidentally find one of the sharp edges I'm bound to miss, and catch tetanus. The whole car is a osha nightmare. PPE is strongly recommended. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/28/20 6:44 p.m.

That has some good looking proportions. 

Needs a hemi dart style hoodscoop. And a glossy primer gray topcoat. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/28/20 7:19 p.m.

Thanks. Unfortunately, color will not be happening. Or maybe fortunately. I'd probably find a way to ruin it. Hood scoop may happen though, as the drop-base air cleaner fits under the hood, but those kill power. I want a tall intake. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
6/28/20 10:40 p.m.

5 inches longer wheelbase gives you the same wheelbase as a Fairmont/zephyr wagon. That's pretty cool. The chopped top looks cool on it! 

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
6/29/20 11:53 a.m.

This is like watching an episode of Roadkill in real time.  The road trip will be epic! 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/29/20 12:54 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

Thanks. 

In reply to 2002maniac :

Thanks. Really looking forward to the trip. Hoping it doesn't kill us before the race. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/29/20 12:59 p.m.
barefootskater said:

Unfortunately, color will not be happening. 

Parking lot paintjob?

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/29/20 1:28 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:
barefootskater said:

Unfortunately, color will not be happening. 

Parking lot paintjob?

I do have an idea for a wrap job that shouldn't cost more than $30-40. I may try to implement that, just have to test the theory first. I want to brag about my awesome idea, but 1- I don't want anyone to steal the idea, 2- it wouldn't lend itself to avoiding the eyes of LEO as we travel and 3- dad isn't too hot on the idea. So for now y'all will have to settle for being teased. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/29/20 1:29 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Duct tape?  I think I remember a LeMons car or two that used multiple duct tape colors and patterns to good effect.

Or do post-it notes so it looks like a giant pinata.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/29/20 1:33 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Nope. Similarly ghetto, but way flashier. And it'd be a solid single "color". 

some googling shows that my idea is not all that original, but it can be implemented quite well. So that's good. Still have to convince dad. Though I think I have a way to make it not permanent. So if it's a go it will be in the hotel parking lot. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/29/20 9:32 p.m.

Hey barefootskater! Your radiator is at a stupid angle. Good luck not overheating!

One step ahead, man. 

And I have a big puller fan, because a mechanical fan would wreck the cooler in a hurry. Progress. Also did plug wires. 

Time to go home and eat something. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/29/20 9:35 p.m.

And yes, I plan to knock the rust off that sheet. And paint it. Maybe.  

8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TZFKfnTLXLeeNcRYwWjxa2AuZj6S1JOoeMTPdKKTksvJ5BVHBj7y3mBy2RvD1sjb