03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
12/31/20 8:40 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

I have the gray on gray as well. I would think I would be bored to tears with it, but quiet and soothing describes it well. Prolly wouldn't have appreciated it if I was 20 years younger, but I;m an ol' fuddy duddy these days anyway. Hey, I just thought.. I'm finally boring enough to ride a dresser! (now that I can't afford one)

I think the tires look ok as well. I've got some 17's for mine (not 'stang) and I'm gonna have the 2.5" center cap made with a Merc. emblem, if I do anything with 'em

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
12/31/20 8:55 p.m.

Wife came through fast!

Now that I would be happy with. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
12/31/20 8:59 p.m.

Personally, I don't like the white at all; but different age group, as mentioned. The drop looks great. How much drop would yall estimate?

barefootskater (Shaun)
12/31/20 9:04 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Judging by the wheel to fender gap, about 3". I asked for two but she just eyeballed it and won. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/31/20 9:19 p.m.

I own white wheels on a neon. They are impossible to keep clean, or clean properly. 

Also, id say taller tires instead of lowering. Like a 255/50/17 or so. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
12/31/20 9:23 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Cleaning is an issue, but the simplicity of the five spokes make it a little easier. Not sure I want to try fitting a 255 on these 8" wheels, but it might not be terrible. More rubber is more better after all. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
12/31/20 9:31 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Also, id say taller tires instead of lowering. Like a 255/50/17 or so.

I think this as well. I cant do this 'cause I have 2.73 gears, and can't afford to change that for now! I am going with the 17's for a smaller tire. Gonna look a bit goofy,(cant afford to lower it either!) but I'm concentrating on mph.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/31/20 9:51 p.m.

I tun the 255/50/17 federal 595ss on my duster with stock mustang bullet wheels. No issues,  and very square on the wheels. 

And my white wheels (all three sets ive owned) have been five spoke. 

damarble
damarble New Reader
12/31/20 11:03 p.m.
barefootskater said:

my measurements say the wheelbase is 5" longer than a fox mustang, and the track is wide. Maybe we'll have traction? Gotta figure out bumpers  

What a roller coaster of a thread. I wish the Funderbird would have gotten further. I'm getting a weird modern Dodge Challenger vibe from the side shot. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
1/1/21 1:02 p.m.

In reply to damarble :

A Dodge Challenger vibe? From a Chevy powered ford? Not the impression I was going for if I'm honest laugh

It's not gone or disassembled yet so there may still be hope. We finally pushed it off of the driveway and into the dirt for a winter hibernation. Maybe next (this?) year or 2022 I can find the funds and borrow a rig to tow it out... FIL just bought a car hauler to go behind the Cummins... If I fix the radiator leak and throw in the other diff, maybe heads, cam and an intake... it's 95% challenge ready. Getting it there is the only real difficulty. 

damarble
damarble New Reader
1/1/21 1:58 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

In reply to damarble :

A Dodge Challenger vibe? From a Chevy powered ford? Not the impression I was going for if I'm honest laugh

It's not gone or disassembled yet so there may still be hope. We finally pushed it off of the driveway and into the dirt for a winter hibernation. Maybe next (this?) year or 2022 I can find the funds and borrow a rig to tow it out... FIL just bought a car hauler to go behind the Cummins... If I fix the radiator leak and throw in the other diff, maybe heads, cam and an intake... it's 95% challenge ready. Getting it there is the only real difficulty. 

Doooo iiiiit. 

I think it's the chop in the front that gives it that dodgy look. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
11/14/21 7:28 p.m.

It's been a long time and it's gonna be longer still. This car has been in my thoughts more than a little over the last few months. Dad and I have talked about a bunch of possibilities. He's offered to buy me out (he likes the car and wants to keep it for general car use, not daily, but frequent) I've offered to buy him out (to finish the car and see it to Florida one way or another) and I think we're still undecided. I'm not in a place to make that happen any time soon, between money and family obligations and work. And I'm hesitant to sell my half without seeing the project through to $2000 challenge competition. So it sits, which is ok out here in the desert. I do need a new tarp.

Mostly this is just a placeholder post. Some thoughts. Vague promises. 
Best case is dad and I make the original plan happen in 2024. I think that's my preferred goal. 
Another option is I may buy him out, finish the build, and give the car to someone here on condition that they arrange transport to Gainesville and allow me to be on the team and use the car as delivered for the initial year, taking full ownership and direction from then on. Options. 
This next year is not feasible for me due to work (no vacation time yet) and money. 2023 is (hopefully) our 10th anniversary and that planned celebration takes precedence. 

So that's where I am. Just thinking. Of course, if anyone happens to be in the area (84770) and wants to wrench or just poke around, I can make time. Otherwise, keep an eye out for slow progress over the next few years. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
1/7/24 1:37 a.m.

I'm not making any promises.

Still fickle, still me. 

From earlier in this thread:

And from this morning:

Little sis has been driving it these last few years. The trans is not great, AC quit, and the third heater core gave up just before it started to freeze. So it's dormant for a bit until a couple other projects are wrapped up.

Anyway, a conversation was had with dad. 

A conversation was had with Mrs. BFC. 

Im not making any promises. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/7/24 3:30 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Oh!  This is gonna be good yes

barefootcyborg5000
1/7/24 6:16 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Had to accept the reality of the Thunderbird being useless for anything outside Challenge. And getting it there is more than I want to deal with. Sad, but true. 

Meanwhile, there are so many good parts laying around, a cheap V8, and fox platform has so many good options. Plus two bench seats. Either way, it's so far down the priority list... but we have a large-ish capacity tank, wheels laying around, and nobody let the guy with the saw near this car. Glass is good. 

I just have these images floating around my brain of a 2800lb "beige" mobile with too much muffler hiding a mild small-block and all the suspension tweaks. Obviously on the 5 spoke GT wheels sitting out back. 
I can't imagine there to be any real weight penalty going from this 80hp 6 to a 280hp 8. That poor rear axle. 

barefootcyborg5000
1/9/24 6:48 p.m.

Someone give me a reason not to grab this 4l60e one of my mechanics is trying to sell me, rebuild the roller 350 we got for the vortec heads, install a manual valve body and carb manifold respectively, and jam it in the zephyr?

It seems too simple. It can't be this easy. 

barefootcyborg5000
1/15/24 3:27 p.m.

Well, money has changed hands. I still don't have a final plan, partially because I'm waiting on other folks to make decisions. But for now, it looks like either the zephyr or the S10 is going to get a 305/4L60. 

Or maybe I simply sell the parts a pocket the profit. 

So there's a picture of a rotten old Chevy. But with actual speed part(s). That manifold has a street value of more than the engine cost me, and it came with two free transmissions (4L60 and an old NP435). Here to hoping I don't need machine work!

*and don't worry, that AFB is going right in the bucket. Or maybe next years NYG box. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/15/24 3:35 p.m.

I'm all about v8 Swapping the Zephyr.  But a 305 ?

barefootcyborg5000
1/15/24 3:43 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I know. But I choose to look at the deal as this: I got two transmissions for $150, including a brand new flywheel and clutch, and the 305 was free. 
And modest plans allow it. I can breathe 250/275 out of a lazy 305 any day, and that's enough to claim 10:1 in this car which is plenty for a street toy. 

preach
preach UltraDork
1/15/24 3:46 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

But a 305 ?

This...

barefootcyborg5000
1/15/24 3:55 p.m.

I'd have a 350, but folks want real money for those around here. And, y'all are missing the point. I'm building a bastard 5.0 foxbody.

But, if I come across one for the right price, or if I can buy the 400 from the Funderbird, it's game on. 

barefootcyborg5000
1/16/24 8:40 p.m.

More Chevy grease. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/16/24 8:58 p.m.

Row your own gears tranny?

barefootcyborg5000
1/16/24 10:47 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

The massive, heavy, and probably bulletproof 4 speed isn't for me. I think. Was part of the deal. Dad wants it for something. I'd be tempted to put it in the s10 but it wouldn't save me any money in the long run, and also I don't think the 2.5 would be very happy. 
But the auto function in that 4L60 will be deleted, so it's basically the same. 

And y'all will be pleased to know that dad is against any use of the 305, too. Said he'd sell me the 350 in the shop, but that costs a bunch more because roller cam and needs vortec manifold. It's the best option, but $$ is $$ and I'm cheap. 

barefootcyborg5000
1/29/24 3:17 p.m.

And in a case of severe stuff-acquisition-syndrome, I've purchased a proper quadrajet for whatever engine I end up using. It's only slightly jammed up, but there's no play in the throttle shaft and at $25 I'm not too fussed either way. Ideally it's close to correct for a slightly warm 350... so we'll see. 

slightly crusty is all. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aAyBKav8tmbKwVMEcSs3blbbNMVW9ykEE7r0sjQqAeMhs0YiwpJq9UZNyZUupatj