Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
4/30/24 7:30 p.m.

I got a GRM message from spkorb offering me and dusterbd13 a free 2009 Subaru. If neither one of us took it, it was going to get offered to local Tarheel Sports Car club members, also for the price of free.

So, I did what anybody else would do. I went and got it. It was much easier getting this down Sean's driveway than the Suprang was.

It needs work on the power steering, and there is a bit of rust on the driver's rear wheel well. I've not done anything else but drive it home, yet.

Thank you so much, Sean! 

mitch5
mitch5 New Reader
5/1/24 12:07 p.m.

Nice the outback sport! Which is really an Impreza but confusingly is badged an outback. It seems all the premium trims are in 2 tone. 

I have an 09 w/ 250k and  a 2 inch lift that I thought was a score at $900 even though it had a leaky water pump. I love the car, just the right age to find parts cheap but still have enough modern features   

enginenerd
enginenerd HalfDork
5/1/24 12:15 p.m.

Score!
The only trouble I really had with these are external oil leaks from the head gaskets. Even then, they always seemed to keep running just fine!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/1/24 12:15 p.m.

I never got that email, but its all good! Glad she got a set of wheels. It'll be a good father/daughter project too!

6/21/24 5:36 p.m.

I had a bit of time to dig into this, and... it really didn't take long to figure out the power steering issue. It's pumping fluid out of a hole in what I think is the hydraulic transfer tube. I'll get further into it as time permits.

6/21/24 5:46 p.m.

I had a bit of time to dig into this, and... it really didn't take long to figure out the power steering issue. It's pumping fluid out of a holeone of the lines on the rack. I'll get further into it as time permits, but it looks like either 34114 or 34114A

Full size assembly image of POWER STEERING GEAR BOX (1/1)

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
6/21/24 9:02 p.m.

Ken block built one of these - maybe his first gymkhana video.   I've always thought they looked awesome. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FNXO0xYKuLMoPOLmgBJjoUhqEUJ9qO0Vbil0zBRrAhIYPb2B9Ios4Pr7125ZM4hU