1 2 3 4
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/20/18 9:16 a.m.

If you need a hand from any of us, I'm pretty sure I can speak for everyone and say we're on the way. It's been 20 plus years since I've been to Mississippi and I can't think of a better reason than to come back to give you a hand

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/20/18 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Thanks! I've got plenty of room to put you up. I may be calling sooner rather than laterwink

ARRRGGGHHH.  Like I said earlier it's rust free...thunderstorm this morning filled rear seat area with water.  The brown spots you see is old glue from carpet. Gotta roll challenge c4 outta garage and put this puppy inside.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
6/20/18 11:37 a.m.

can you also make this thing into a tow vehicle to flat tow your c4 to the challenge? I want to see it already...

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/20/18 12:04 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

lol.  You never really realize how little a vintage 911 is. Only 90 inch wheelbase. When I was young I thought they were pretty big. But once I own one I didn't realize how small they really were. It's almost like Porsche built a go-kart and then stretched the body on to it! Saw a picture of me in it from the front and  my big ole bucket head fills up half the windshield. It's almost comical when I have a helmet on  although once inside it it's actually quite spacious relatively speaking. Lol

The other side washed with 17" Rota Fox's so you c a n see what I'm hacking...

I want to get it finished and all lettered up in rally style so I can take a picture of it with my neighbor's car

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/20/18 1:39 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Definitely use the phone dials, not the Rotas. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/20/18 1:53 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Rota's are 17 and there's no rally tread Style Tire in 17 that fit in the wheel well. My choices in 15 are 215 by 70s or 215 x 75. The 70s are 27 in tall and the 75 are 28 inches tall. What I would really like is a set of 16 inch phone dials because there is a 215 by 65 tire that is only 27 inches tall but with a more aggressive tread. By comparison tires on the Rota's are 24 and a 1/2 in tall.

The "real" rally and rally cross 911s are using 195x60 actual rally non DOT tires.  Awfully skinny.

And I found a vintage 911 on 15 inch wheels that was running a 205 by 90surprise but it was suspension wise Jacked way up.   205 by 90 is over 30 inches tall

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
6/20/18 6:03 p.m.

This is to you and Pete G......PG mentioned an AX this weekend not to mention scrapin' the coast is happenin' also and I'm letting mega OT ($$$$$) dictate my weekends while here in Ms. BUT I'd be willing to lend you a hand, even if you're in Meridian??????

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/20/18 6:12 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I appreciate it but I'm way up in Madison. Pete is scrambling to put his Miata together so I don't doubt that he needs help. In more ways than one. LOL

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
6/20/18 7:31 p.m.

Great talking to your earlier today. I can't wait to see where this goes.

BTW I forgot to mention: the tight spot on these cars with big tires is the trailing edge of the front bumper. Most Safari cars are trimmed in this area as you can see in this picture. Won't be a problem till you put the front bumper back on though.

Those wheels are the Fullrace T Dakar BTW,

Keep up the entertaining posts.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/20/18 7:50 p.m.

In reply to teamilluminata :

Thanks for pointing that out, Paul. I hadn't even noticed.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/20/18 8:18 p.m.

In reply to teamilluminata :

That’s really pretty in blue. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
6/20/18 8:44 p.m.

Hhhnnnngggg.  

I mean, cool car...

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
6/20/18 9:24 p.m.

I like this.  I've been trying to convince my wife for years that her karman ghia should be up in class 11 style (hasn't worked yet)

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/21/18 3:47 p.m.

First call to the h i v e for a little help. Trying to locate rear window glass. Aftermarket doesn't make it. Factory replacement is insane but not as bad as if it were a Targa. $5,995 plus $500 shipping for a Targa rear window. At least I can be thankful it's a coupe.

Only other option is original spec in 3/8 in lexan.

java230
java230 UltraDork
6/21/18 3:56 p.m.

This should be good! Cant wait to see it come together

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
6/21/18 7:01 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

$5,995 plus $500 shipping for a Targa rear window. 

Holy Curse word

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
6/22/18 10:05 a.m.

Following along, looking forward to see what you do with it!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/22/18 10:07 a.m.

Lexan may be the only option.  None of my guys has glass, and i called them all.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
6/22/18 10:37 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

First call to the h i v e for a little help. Trying to locate rear window glass. Aftermarket doesn't make it. Factory replacement is insane but not as bad as if it were a Targa. $5,995 plus $500 shipping for a Targa rear window. At least I can be thankful it's a coupe.

Only other option is original spec in 3/8 in lexan.

Car-part has glass for a coupe....

from $150 to $400....

I bet they can ship it.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/22/18 10:44 a.m.

Thanks, guys, for all the encouragement and not chastising me for ruining a classic 911. I hope to do mods so that they're not irreversible I f when my estate sells it to someone who wants to put it back to stock.

Duster...yeah that's what I'm finding on all glass companies too.  My go to used PCar parts guy in Meridian has quite a few salvage 911 cars and parts and he's checking for me

But lexan may be only choice reasonably priced.  Thanks for trying.

In other news I did order all terrain tires for it yesterday. While the Lee Keen cars like the blue one pictured above use BFG MO2 AT tires, they use 215x65x16.  Team illuminata Uses real rally tires on their Braid Rally x 911 in 195x60x16 but they are running on essentially stock U.S. ride height.

I may ultimately go with 16's but for now I'm gonna try 15s.  Ultimately with input from Paul at Team Illuminata and Pete Gossett searching interweb I decided on a set of General A/T Dueller in 205x75x15 which are right at 27".  Apparently they are going out of production because tire rack had them on closeout sale. So I bought 5 to give me a spare to put on the roof. Because rally car. LOL

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/22/18 10:46 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Where?  Got a link?  Did you mean Copart ? If that works you might be my hero forever! Thanks!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/22/18 10:50 a.m.

Oh, and another thing about the tires. Aside from being $250 cheaper for the General Tires as opposed to the bfgs, The BFG are 10 ply whereas the generals are 6 ply. Although the generals don't have as aggressive a tread pattern they are almost 10 lb lighter per tire. And 10 lb of unsprung weight on each corner will only help I would guess.

FooBag
FooBag Reader
6/22/18 10:52 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Where?  Got a link?  If that works you might be my hero forever! Thanks!

www.car-part.com Enter your year, model, etc, and it will spit out results.

monknomo
monknomo Reader
6/22/18 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

I believe this is where wvumtnbkr is looking: http://car-part.com

They appear to file rear windows under "glass, back"  Looks like most of the parts are out in Phoenix, but I expect even with shipping you'd save over Porsche prices

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
6/22/18 11:01 a.m.

Yep, you guys nailed it.

www.car-part.com

Can't really link from their site.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B69e1vn53jDhwVz6gNTBxM76rzTmK5zgesHfYxMO9y0RbVsRwGe5aKP7rh3HubH5