1 2 3 4 5
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/22/18 11:04 a.m.

In reply to monknomo :

Yeah...just found that out. Lot of 911 wreck's in Arizona apparently. The good thing is that 911 used the same rear windows from about 1969 until about 1992. Only difference being whether they had third brake light and or defroster wiring. Mine had the third brake light mounted High but it always restricted my view that is now limited even more by the high-back rally seats. Thanks for checking guys.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/24/18 11:46 a.m.

Not much substantiv work completed. Just a lot of interior cleaning and sanding and painting prepare for reassembling. On that note my vote for best simple analog Dash ever built.

The exterior paint is about 75% original and actually Buff's out pretty nice. If the project when finished is Worthy, I'm a spring for a professionally spray. Although the car has never been wrecked a prior owner did have some touch-up work done and it was shot with base coat clear coat. To that end some of the refinishing paint is breaking down and clear coat is flaking. Any suggestions for a temporary fix for these areas until I do decide whether to repaint or not? Keep in mind I am not a paint and body guy.

Today I'm going to work on refinishing Wheels in anticipation of mounting my new rally style rubber. Waiting on parts next week so I can reassemble transaxle and engine and put it back in car. It amazes me that only four bolts total hold engine and transaxle in chassis.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/24/18 2:14 p.m.

Okay. Just talked to my buddy who does a little bit of paint and body on his street rods. He suggested as a temporary measure I sand lightly with 800 or 1000 Grit wet. Tape off and shoot it with clear. He feels this will be good enough until a re spray. Does the hive concur?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
6/24/18 3:36 p.m.

There is a trick with a razor blade to get the clear coat off.  I've seen it done but can't give you the details on the process.

I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to fill you in.

Did you order rear glass?  I'm anxious to know if you can get that glass off car-parts.com.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/24/18 4:41 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Got those in Arizona lined up. Also had a guy call me from Connecticut. Looks like I'll be able to get one no problem used, which is fine. Just trying to figure out if I can find one locally before I pay shipping. Thanks for the lead.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/26/18 8:07 a.m.

Woooohoooo...located rear glass reasonably price in conneticutt and shipped cheap. 

Thanks for your help guys.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/26/18 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Awesome!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/26/18 9:18 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

$250 shipped to my door with 3rd brake light included....

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
6/26/18 9:26 a.m.

I love the pace of this, can't wait to see this thing on some AT tires.  Off to tire rack to see how much those grabbers are for the hearse...

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
6/26/18 9:53 a.m.

No seriously.  I doubt you'll get much hate.

I'll throw my hat into the, take a vacation in BFE MS and work on a porsche ring also.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/26/18 9:55 a.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

UPS just called...tires will be here by lunch.  Wheels not quite finished drying. But we'll roll the tires up next to it so you can see when they get here!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/26/18 7:47 p.m.

WOOOHOOO...KNOBBY BY OFF ROAD TIRES CAME IN.  After 20 years of getting the  widest low profile tires I can find on this 911 it is really weird looking at tall skinny rally style tires. Not as aggressive as The BFG but much lighter weight tire. Like 10 lbs per corner

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/26/18 8:31 p.m.

I can’t wait to see you kicking up rooster tails! I hope you have a GoPro?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/26/18 8:55 p.m.

Mud flaps next! Complete with chrome naked ladies. LOL

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/27/18 6:30 a.m.

I'm loving this build!

Did you get the rear glass from one of the race shops in Connecticut or from a private seller?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/27/18 7:23 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

Mud flaps next! Complete with chrome naked ladies. LOL

Nah, these:

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/27/18 9:20 a.m.
Woody said:

I'm loving this build!

Did you get the rear glass from one of the race shops in Connecticut or from a private seller?e

Yeah...Rennshop out of Portland, CT.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/27/18 9:25 a.m.

In reply to minivan_racer :

Hey!  Where  did Safari meme go?   I was gonna copy it for my shop wall!

98horn
98horn New Reader
6/27/18 10:00 a.m.

Those phone dials are killer!  Have you considered a wrap until you respray?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/27/18 10:26 a.m.

In reply to 98horn :

Yeah...PD'S are growing on me.  Although cast they're relatively light.

As far as paint, the worst part of original Paint is dying roof paint.  It waxes up pretty well but dies quickly.  I may wrap roof and stripes on hood and rear deck in a contrasting color as a temporary solution .  Gonna try to get all mechanical mods done and do a Windows Out professional respray last.  

I have not been paying attention to the prices of G50 air-cooled 911 S. I knew they were going up in value but people are getting crazy money for them now. I bought mine at the bottom of the depreciation curve 20 years ago. Looking back if I had known they were going to be in such demand I would have taken a lot better care of it. But probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. LOL So to that and if I ever decide to sell it, which I don't plan on, a quality respray is probably money well spent. Nah.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/27/18 12:10 p.m.

A bit of perspective. 205 by 15 verses 255 by 17 on rear

I'm thinking about bumping rears to 225 70 15.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
6/27/18 5:24 p.m.

The grabbers are great! I've run them on 2 different lifted subarus and taken them to some crazy remote places.  This is a fun build!

Dirtydog
Dirtydog HalfDork
6/27/18 6:46 p.m.

A little more inspiration coming your way.....

Related image

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
6/27/18 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Dirtydog :

Yeah....Leh Keen came out with his safari in late 2015/early 2016.  It's documented on Pelican Parts forum I was thinking about doing this in 2013.  Keen got the idea from me.  Yeah, that's the ticket.blush

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/27/18 7:23 p.m.

So yours is a LeaKing?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j8NvDZJJLeSErsFfTe7EBCk530aax72qNcWqlCBYh57q2L0iCHLjGv3K3FmUaHaN