4 5 6 7 8
Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
7/1/18 4:46 p.m.

In reply to teamilluminata :

After sweating in Mississippi heat and humidity refinishing old phone dials, a set of braids are a bargain! I'll be calling you towards the end of the buildlaugh

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/1/18 5:55 p.m.

I don't like gold wheels, but I do like the bronze ones.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/1/18 6:11 p.m.

I knew that I had seen some white Phone Dials at Porsche Parade 2016...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/1/18 6:12 p.m.

...and some white Fuchs. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
7/1/18 7:01 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

The Porsche 944 cup Series race card had Uber rare, Uber fragile, Uber light 8 lb, magnesium phone dials

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/3/18 1:43 p.m.

After getting estimates of 700 to $1,000 for repair ran across the young kid who works for Nissan who does dent repair on the side. Charged me a hundred fifty dollars. Not going to be perfect due to creased metal i didnt even see but amazing what he has done. Will only require very minor lead work when it's repainted. And he makes house calls!

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
7/3/18 1:47 p.m.

Good deal on the dent.

Wasn't aware of magnesium Phone Dials!  That's hot.  

I wonder if some company like Rota will make a 17" replica of the Phone Dial like they did for a while with the Fuch's.  Bonus points for a 5x114.3 bolt pattern option!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
7/3/18 2:24 p.m.

I'm truly impressed. I knew it couldn't be perfect but it is so much better than it was. Dent repair guy said it likely stretch the metal when the tree came down on it and then it popped back up. Will require absolutely minimal body filler to make it perfect. I tipped him extra 50 bucks he was so good

BEFORE

AFTER

a_florida_man
a_florida_man Reader
7/3/18 2:39 p.m.

Can't see it in this picture... good deal.

Call it patina an move on. LOL

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
7/3/18 2:52 p.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!

One more pic

a_florida_man
a_florida_man Reader
7/3/18 5:01 p.m.

Ummm yeah. Still can't see it.

Nice work.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
7/3/18 6:21 p.m.

Blame Pete Gossett if you don't like the color combo. LOL

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
7/3/18 6:23 p.m.
pres589 said:

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/3/18 6:30 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

Blame Pete Gossett if you don't like the color combo. LOL

Im gonna need a minute in my bunk.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
7/4/18 12:05 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Hoping I'm not making you sick with my style choices. Color is actually a metallic bronze that does not show up well in the photograph, especially with my lack of photographic Talent.

Tires are 205 by 75 by 15 General Grabber all terrain tires on all four corners. I know it's not in keeping with rally style but original 911 came with 205 front and 225 Rears to help combat drop throttle oversteer..  So tonight I ordered a pair of 225 b y 70 by 15 to run on the rear and fill out those big rear fender flares together with a spacer to widen the track. 225 x 70 is same diameter as 205x75 on front.  We shall see.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/4/18 5:14 a.m.

Hell no!

I typically cant stand a 911. 

However, yours is beautiful.  BECAUSE  of the colors, lift, and tires.

Ive nevee found a good rattle can bronze.  What did you use?

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
7/4/18 6:56 a.m.
pres589 said:

Good deal on the dent.

I wonder if some company like Rota will make a 17" replica of the Phone Dial like they did for a while with the Fuch's.  Bonus points for a 5x114.3 bolt pattern option!

Back when i was into 928's there was a privateer effort to build 18" replica phone dials.  The engineering work on them was very interesting.  I think they only delivered 20 ish sets.  

Link: Porsche 928 18" Phone Dial Project

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
7/4/18 6:56 a.m.

Love the bronze wheels (and this whole project).  Did you paint them yourself, or did a pro do it?  I've been looking for a suitable bronze to paint some wheels and it has been amazingly difficult to find.  Rows upon rows of cans in HD and Lowes, yet nothing quite like the bronze I want.  Yours might be close though - what is it? 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
7/4/18 8:01 a.m.

Dude!  This thing is awesome!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
7/4/18 8:22 a.m.

In reply to NorseDave :

Thanks. I too had the problem of finding the color I had in mind. It's not photographing that accurately in my eye. Although I used every precaution I doubt this rattle can paint will hold up that well. May be good enough for mailboxes but Wheels?

I used Rust-Oleum metallic antique brass. Maybe better pictures of the color.  I think because of very tiny metal flake in paint it subtly changes color in different light.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
7/4/18 9:00 a.m.

In reply to NordicSaab :

I bet those three piece 18 inch phone dials were pricey! I do know that the factory magnesium phone dials were in 16 in and command big bucks in the Porsche world. Like $2,500 up for a set of four. If I recall correctly they were in the early offset and came in 8 and 9 inch with maybe?

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
7/4/18 9:26 a.m.

Nice subtle touch.   It doesn't overpower the "in your face" look of the lifted Porsche.  Moving along nicely.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
7/4/18 9:33 a.m.

This is coming along nicely, wheel color looks great, can't wait to see what the 225s look like on the rear!

gumby
gumby Reader
7/4/18 10:25 a.m.

I have had both bronze and gold rattle can turn green with age when used on wheels. I am considering another round with bronze myself and was thinking it best to use powder coat this time around.

This color looks great on you car, I hope it holds up well.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
7/4/18 10:48 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

That green is PATINA!  Anyway, touch up is only a $5 rattle can awaywink

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hWVwKcciXcpaXodM6wFQMSTR2xwA9ZdX0IPGGQYDeGiBiE9CyJenH2nJISfm3fGt