5 6 7 8 9
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/4/18 11:09 a.m.

I dig it!

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
7/4/18 12:13 p.m.

I used Dupli-Color bronze spray cans to do the wheels on my Suzuki.  Very similar color from here.  I mostly love how they turned out.  However... I used Rustoleum automotive rattle primer (already had it on hand), then the Dupli bronze, then Rustoleum gloss wheel clear from a rattle can.  Let them sit for a wheel or so and then put them on the car.  And in doing so, one of them fell over, onto its face (of course) and scratched the fresh paint.  A bit of it came off like sunburned skin, in a section a good 1/2" square-ish.  Primer underneath held up fine.  I don't know if the two paints didn't work well together or if it's just the insane cure times of rattle can paint or what.  Never had a problem since and they stand up to power washing fine.   They went on 1.5 years ago and overall look great still so I'm assuming it's the cure time.  

Overall I love how they came out although they could be a touch brighter / more gold and be just fine.  

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
7/4/18 12:42 p.m.

In reply to pres589 :

I put fresh painted Wheels in the paint curing oven otherwise known as my driveway under direct sunlight in hundred degree weather. Kind of surprised me that nothing came off with wheel machine when tires were mounted. But using lug wrench nicked a little spot off

Finish turned out semi-gloss and the little on the Rough Side sort of like powder coating texture.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/5/18 9:47 a.m.

Okay. Need some help with a small project I'm going to tackle while waiting on parts from the motherland. The car is rust free top and bottom. I pressure washed the undercarriage and Fender Wells. The 31 year old undercoating has flaked off in big chunk. What would you use to insure no future corrosion? Clean and spray paint with body color? Light undercoating again? Por-15?

Picture of above is front fender well. Brownish black spots are undercoating remains.

APEowner
APEowner HalfDork
7/5/18 10:06 a.m.

I'm really digging this build.  Based on your intended use of this car I'd re-undercoat.  Strip what's there.  Prime, paint and re-undercoat.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
7/5/18 10:22 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Here's an example of another 1987 Carrera that was detailed. Apparently very little undercoating period on my car the undercoating seems to be thick in spots. It does appear to be Factory. Any suggestions on how to remove the remaining undercoating? I've judiciously used a heat gun but you have to get it almost hot enough to melt the paint before the undercoating let's go.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
7/5/18 7:43 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

In reply to NorseDave :

I used Rust-Oleum metallic antique brass. Maybe better pictures of the color.  I think because of very tiny metal flake in paint it subtly changes color in different light.

Ha, that's the exact one I have sitting in the garage waiting to respray a pair of MB wheels in.  I've taken to spraying a ~6"x6" coupon first to give me a better feel for the how the color will actually look.  Definitely tried a few that I thought would be good, put down a sample, and thought "Wow.  No.  Absolutely not."  

I've got one set of wheels that I sprayed w/ a different Rust Oleum about a year ago and they have not degraded at all.  Still look good.  I stripped them to bare aluminum, then used the auto primer, followed by like 4 coats of a dark silver,and then another 3 or 4 coats of a matte clear (all of those were Rust Oleum rattle cans).  

BTW - I actually just did some phone dials, and they are really a b***h to spray.  I did not get very good coverage on the vertical "wall" on the sides of the holes that faces the outer rim.  There's just no way to spray it at anything resembling straight on!  

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/5/18 10:01 p.m.

In reply to NorseDave :

I hope my amateur rattle can wheels hold up....

bluej
bluej UberDork
7/6/18 7:21 a.m.

that bronze is on POINT. well done, sir.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/6/18 2:22 p.m.

Speaking of seats. I decided to get away from the competition seats not because I didn't like them but because I want ease of egress/ingress.  I decided to go back to Porsche seats in black leather and black and white houndstooth inserts for a traditional Porsche look. Here's what I ordered should be delivered next week

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/6/18 3:35 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

Speaking of seats. I decided to get away from the competition seats not because I didn't like them but because I want ease of egress/ingress.  I decided to go back to Porsche seats in black leather and black and white houndstooth inserts for a traditional Porsche look. Here's what I ordered should be delivered next week

Very nice. I have a set of Porsche seats that I have been considering redoing in the same combo. Do you mind sharing where you got them from and what they cost? Are you doing new foam too?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/6/18 3:46 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

ebay...zoomzoomzooming

regular vinyl w perforated vinyl inserts c. $369

German vinyl $399

German vinyl with German  houndstooth insert $459

German leather w houn!stooth  $799-899 kits.  local upholstery shop will assemble for ~$100 pair

per set of 2 seat upholstery

lots of colors both vinyl and houndstooth

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/6/18 3:48 p.m.

Pasha?wink

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/6/18 4:25 p.m.
Woody said:

Pasha?wink

Don't know whether you can get that but probably can. But Pasha goes for something like $150 a yard nowadays for the real stuffcrying

From what I understand the pattern is hard to upholstery and get seats to match because the pattern repeats itself only on long runs resulting in a lot of waste.

monknomo
monknomo Reader
7/6/18 4:30 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Pasha!  The best Porsche interior!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/6/18 4:50 p.m.

For those of you unfamiliar with porsche pasha interiors

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
7/6/18 8:26 p.m.

^ now that's some trippy E36 M3 right there man haha

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/6/18 9:10 p.m.

In reply to Bill Mesker :

It was the seventies! LOL

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
7/6/18 9:24 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

That it was haha

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/6/18 9:36 p.m.

I suspect a whole lot of drugs were going on during the 60s and 70s at the Porsche Design Studios.

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker Reader
7/6/18 10:04 p.m.

Whoaaaaa momma.... 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
7/6/18 11:49 p.m.

I need some of that paisley fabric. I wonder if SWMBO would let me get the sofa reupholstered in it?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/7/18 1:14 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

I suspect a whole lot of drugs were going on during the 60s and 70s at the Porsche Design Studios.

That’s actually from a 1987 944 Turbo S. 

And i I think I may actually go with a blue and black Tartan for my seats. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/7/18 6:32 a.m.
Woody said:
Ovid_and_Flem said:

That’s actually from a 1987 944 Turbo S. 

And i I think I may actually go with a blue and black Tartan for my seats. 

Flashbacks, maybe?

I considered red/black since my car is red.  I found a few different ebay places for upholstery, but these guys came recomended from PP forum and they responded to my email request for info very promptly.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/7/18 8:25 a.m.

I kind of want a tartan interior in something. But don't want a Porsche to get it.

Ovid: does the place you ordered from do other stuff, or just Porsche?

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KqwjEFYlBf9is3ozKymMf7EMu93LL7lMR8V2kWrBnPKCeZ4j7gqFMqtBjrZj7pcG