NermalSnert
NermalSnert New Reader
7/15/18 9:17 p.m.

My Spitfire was 2 years old at the time and it didn't. Worked really well. Seems like I brushed it on (slathered), let it soften the tar and wiped as much as I could off. Just repeated that until it was spotless. Look for it in the paint section at Lowe's or Home Depot. NAPA should have it too.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/15/18 9:32 p.m.

MEK will make your dick fall off

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/15/18 9:40 p.m.

OK...COMMAND DECISION TIME.  NEED THE HIVE INPUT ON INTERIOR DESIGN (especially snice you guys are aupportive of me "ruining" a classic 911).

the original interior was camel. As you are aware I'm switching over to black leather door card, and black seats with black and white houndstooth inserts. Black schroth cam lock harnesses . Kind of a classic, simple theme in keeping with Simplicity in this build.

Carpet.  Since I am removing back seats I'm going with and rs Style rear seat delete package. Essentially the entire backseat area is removed and all interior panels, rear quarter, package Shelf is replaced with carpeting. The carpeting is a mat style of carpet, that is it's not cut pile fibers. My color choices are black or charcoal gray. I'm thinking the entire interior being black with exception of Houndstooth seat inserts might look a bit harsh. What's say the hive? Black or a little contrast with the charcoal grey?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/15/18 9:44 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

MEK will make your dick fall off

Worth it if it'll make this undercoating fall off. LOL

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
7/15/18 10:10 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

I vote for the grey. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/15/18 10:26 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

I vote for the grey. 

So says Chief Project Design and styling Engineer.cheeky

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
7/15/18 11:22 p.m.

I second the vote for grey. Black carpet always shows any dirt, and basically looks dirty unless JUST vacuumed. 

preach
preach New Reader
7/16/18 5:32 a.m.

Huge Porsche guy here.  Screw the purists.  I would LOVE a lifted air-cooled 911 and I'd probably drive it in the New England winters.

Love the PDs  I put some on my Westfalia:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i99.photobucket.com-11513-1440879065.1.jpg

Refinished in the original silver bought from Napa in a rattle can (edit: They mix the paint up and put it in a rattle can, I think it was about $20 per can though) then clear coated.  Smallest 15" BFG ATs you can get.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
7/16/18 6:43 a.m.

I vote black over charcoal carpet.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/16/18 6:58 a.m.

Yup. Grey.

Ive been struggling for hours to make the black carpet in the miata look clean.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
7/16/18 8:17 a.m.

Black carpet all the way

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
7/16/18 8:37 a.m.

My favorite carpet:

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/16/18 8:48 a.m.

In reply to teamilluminata :

Love it!  

In other news...ran across pics when I was in process of lowering car for RS conversion...BS--before strokecheeky

adam525i
adam525i Reader
7/16/18 9:29 p.m.

Charcoal grey will look really good against the black.

That makes sense on the undercoating and it’ll definitely look more finished with it off rather than partially on. I’m from the land of minor oil leaks being viewed as good rust prevention  so it can be hard to comprehend removing undercoating. 

Looking forward to pics of it all dirty!

Adam

APEowner
APEowner HalfDork
7/17/18 10:37 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

In reply to APEowner :

Yes. But I'm afraid that might take off the paint. All I know is this undercoating project is kicking my butt. I think I'll try some diesel to see if that dissolves it better.

I didn't catch on to the fact that you're trying to preserve the paint.  The only thing I've seen that takes of undercoating without removing the paint is the dry ice trick but doing that on a vertical surface or on the bottom side seems impractical.  I'd strip, prime and paint as needed before re-coating.  Actually, if what's there won't come off you might want to just coat right over it.

For what it's worth I like the charcoal gray carpet. My new to me truck has black carpet and less than a month in I already dislike how quickly it looks dirty compared to the gray in my old truck.

98horn
98horn New Reader
7/17/18 11:52 a.m.

The correct answer is Pachsa.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/17/18 4:07 p.m.

Registered my 911 as an antique vehicle since it's over 25 years old.  Added advantage is a lifetime license tag with no annual taxes forever more...

BUT A MODEL T?  GRRRRRRRRRR.

SOLUTION?  SHARPIE TO THE RESCUE!!!!

Rally mud flaps and all!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/17/18 4:17 p.m.

Thats freaking GENIUS !!!!!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/17/18 4:47 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Perhaps I should start a new business covering ugly tattoos?cheeky

a_florida_man
a_florida_man Reader
7/17/18 6:43 p.m.

That's Awesome!!!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/17/18 6:57 p.m.

I know I'm being kind of silly with appearances, but I read the statute about license tags and antique cars in Mississippi. The statute is vague enough in allowing period- correct and appropriate styles for the vehicle in question that I decided to order this with my antique license tag number on it to get the European Flair. But I kind of like my little Porsche antique.

The good thing about the European style plate is that it covers four holes in the rear bumper where I took off bumper overriders for a cleaner look. The state tag does not cover the holes. Oh well something to play with.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert New Reader
7/17/18 8:05 p.m.

That's cool !!!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/19/18 3:24 p.m.

In reply to NermalSnert :

Back on the fender well undercoating removal project. Got some m e k and tackled it. That stuff is potent and works better than anything I've seen so far. But it is lethal on the lungs. Doing it outside with a fan blowing I could not get enough ventilation to keep from really beginning to feel the effects. Off the Harbor Freight for a respirator mask. Too many brain cells already killed. LOL

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/19/18 3:49 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

In reply to NermalSnert :

Back on the fender well undercoating removal project. Got some m e k and tackled it. That stuff is potent and works better than anything I've seen so far. But it is lethal on the lungs. Doing it outside with a fan blowing I could not get enough ventilation to keep from really beginning to feel the effects. Off the Harbor Freight for a respirator mask. Too many brain cells already killed. LOL

is your dick still attached?   asking for a friend.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
7/19/18 3:52 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

I thought it grew about 9 inches and turned yellowish green...then I realized I was hallucinating talking to a caterpillar.cool

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L81aVKAlGaJvEkTlCyN9LX5erDLOkvku8lqUapVKC75cefK5MAf2RF76hIIukA82