bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/19/20 7:07 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

Are you sure there isn't a circlip holding it in that has to be released?  I ran into that on my mom's Aries K wagon many moons ago. 

there is. there is also no way to access it to release it. That is unless the normal procedure for axle replacement is to remove the transmission, disassemble the trans to get to the diff. That's not in the factory manual btw. 

Current working theory on why it's such a .... pain.... the new diff is likely not as smooth and polished as the 200+k mile open diff. The clip that is on the old shaft was a little tweaked when I reinstalled the shaft and there's no real way to access it to pry because you have the subframe on the bottom, trans case in front, rack at the rear and all the engine bay stuff like master cylinders and boosters in the way up top. So pulling is about the only option.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/20/20 7:45 a.m.

Friend dropped off his nice heavy Matco slide hammer and the adapter to slide in behind the cup. I was really sore last night, so I will tackle this tonight or tomorrow. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/25/20 8:18 a.m.

Looks like Brock finally classed the Tib. I think he may have more faith in the car than i do. Midpriced. Puts us with the FoRS, eco, Camry's and the 328i. I'm going to be heavily relying on Tim's car handling skills to not be dfl. 

gad to be heading home in about 4 hours and get back to work finishing it up. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
2/25/20 9:23 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

My assumption is that Brock's messing with us.  Maybe it's a low-key way of saying he thinks I'm actually showing up with the TL?

I was gonna suggest rolling to the backup car to land with the sonic.  But I wonder if the Forte Koupe, being technically a separate model from the Forte would stick it in SGT-2 SB instead of Economy?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/25/20 11:42 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Technically it's no different than the accord and accord coupe. The korans just like to spell things differently. Like elantra and tiburon in Korean mean the same carwink

butni can tell you that the backup car is not nearly as quick as the primary. Stupid slush box. 

edit: in all honesty with the caliber of cars at this event we were bringing a broken spork to a machine gun fight in the best of circumstances. Maybe we petition to go to the big money big bore class and just hope everyone else breaks. devil

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/2/20 5:43 p.m.

yay!

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
3/2/20 6:20 p.m.

Only in the Challenge do we spend more for a LSD than we did on the engine. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/2/20 6:29 p.m.
Stampie said:

Only in the Challenge do we spend more for a LSD than we did on the engine. 

Literally twice as much. Lol. Just wait until the budget is finished for one lap. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
3/2/20 6:34 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I think on the Q45 I spent 4x for LSD than I did on the car. But that's an outlier. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/2/20 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I spent over 3 times the purchase price of the car for the coilovers for one lap. Shhhhh don't tell the wife!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/6/20 7:44 a.m.

still in the same spot. Running out of ideas. Cv stub still stuck. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
3/6/20 8:52 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Clean out the stuck part, inspect for excessive wear/scoring, if it looks marginal or better just disassemble the replacement and assemble the new bits into the stuck part.

Yes, I'm a hack.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/6/20 9:08 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Great idea except vice grips chewed it up on our first try. 

edit: I did use this as an excuse to buy mire tools. Be here tomorrow (thanks amazon)

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
3/6/20 1:00 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Chain the opposite side of the car to your foundation, wrap another chain around the puller & to the back bumper of your truck, and do Smokey burnouts until something pops.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
3/6/20 5:00 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Chain the opposite side of the car to your foundation, wrap another chain around the puller & to the back bumper of your truck, and do Smokey burnouts until something pops.

And capture it all on video

sleepyhead the buffalo
3/7/20 12:32 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to bobzilla :

And capture it all on video

bob's driveway, and the road out front are gravel.  I can see that ending poorly for the video camera... among other things.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/7/20 6:30 a.m.

Similar ideas as pete: chaon good side to wall. Chain bad side to other wall. Shorten chain via comealong. If they are strong enough to winch a car....

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/7/20 1:37 p.m.

Y'all are funny. Bought this yesterday on amazon 

and then this happened 

new seal on its way. Man that took way too much effort. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/7/20 1:43 p.m.

Holy hell i didn't know that those existed. I need to remember that.....

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/8/20 11:49 a.m.

1 step forward two steps back. 

need either a trans or the side case. Done working for the day. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
3/8/20 12:04 p.m.

Yeah, and I also threw the monkey wrench at Bob that sleepywife and I had started contingency planning about travel restrictions... and that it might be good for Bob to suss out a backup.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/20 7:48 a.m.

Alright, after having a chance to sit and think this through (Dangit Seth you're rubbing off on me!) I think the smartest move here is to pick up the low mile 6spd in Ohio and install a known working trans this coming weekend. No, it won't have the LSD but with 235's and enough spring rate that may not be such an issue with 160-ish whp/tq. It gets me on track, reliable and ready to roll cheaply and without worrying about the trans for the entire trip. 

Granted, this is a $250 booboo (at this point) but one I learned from maybe. 

As for Tim's revelation, I have a potential person but if anyone here wants a ride along and you're not tall, I can make room in the back seat for a 3rd. Just PM me. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/20 11:34 a.m.

So I think I may be able to snake the trans out of the car with the engine still in and NOT removing the subframe. We're gonna find out. 

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
3/9/20 11:53 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Could you just swap the side case from the new trans onto your current trans?

sleepyhead the buffalo
3/9/20 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I think this trans has like 85k fewer miles.  So, might be nice to have the fresher gears in, since we're gonna be romping on it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jnpWhNG68EzkpWFWVlEwIp6GL8lHiFXHJX5n3GqGuPkSlIKFIvLLkqfbbTFDvuh9