3 4 5 6 7
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/13/19 2:59 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Same knifeless tape and vinyl bought off of amazon will get you that livery pretty easy.  

Video of knifeless tape.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWqIBnr-1yg

thats's what I was thinking too. The main stripe and hood lip should be easy. The Hyundai logo and emblem I can get a friend to cut for me. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/13/19 3:01 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

We were talking about this car all week on One Lap. We're excited.

Does that mean you're riding in the backseat? 

For One lap, I'm planning on real coilovers and the 17x8's and 245's so as soon as the bike is gone, that stuff gets purchased. I'm going to try one of my 255's from the truck on the 8" wheel and test fit. I would love to have 255's on a 2800-ish lb car. LSD arrives tomorrow. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/13/19 3:06 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

There is a lot of talk about teams and cars and all sorts of stuff, but your backseat in spring sounds lovely.laugh

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/13/19 3:08 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to bobzilla :

There is a lot of talk about teams and cars and all sorts of stuff, but your backseat in spring sounds lovely.laugh

Hmmmmm.... I'll allow it. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/13/19 3:22 p.m.

I'd also love to find some 04-08 TL factory 17x8" wheels..... I find the symmetry to be quite enticing. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
5/13/19 3:58 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

not sure if you're serious... or just angling for the loan of a certain delivery sedan?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/13/19 4:00 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Oh no.... If I find some TL wheels that are still straight (highly unlikely now they were soft) I'd rock them in a heartbeat. All the time. IT'll probably be easier to just get some Motegi's or something in the correct size/offset because I'm pretty sure the hub size on honda's is smaller than the Koreans. 

EDIT: and we still need to talk ;)

sleepyhead the buffalo
5/13/19 4:06 p.m.
bobzilla said:

because I'm pretty sure the hub size on honda's is smaller than the Koreans. 

seeing this now, I recall that I went running around for non-needed hub-centric rings to fit the hyundai wheels to the TL last year.  So, yes, honda center bores are less than hyundai center bores

I've got to get through a mandatory maintenance visit, and dr. visit, and then see a man about a pierogie fueled fiat.  but, I should have some time after that.  or, if you don't want to talk over the phone... shoot me a pm, and we'll start trading emails.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/14/19 4:42 p.m.

Mmmmmmmm

sleepyhead the buffalo
5/15/19 2:07 p.m.

budget hit?

also, what platforms/transmissions does this mount into?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/15/19 2:38 p.m.

$398 shipped. This only fits the 6spd man trans in the 03-08 Tiburon's. The Forte 2.4/1.6T 6-spd is a different beast entirely. This has my total budget to $1205.19 with the 2 new diff bearing I ordered. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/27/19 6:25 a.m.

Saturday was good. Engine is buttoned up with new timing belt, wterpump, cam cover gaskets, plugs and headers installed nice and tight. Finished the lower intake cleanup and got it put back on.  Got the old engine off the trans and pulled the clutch. Good news is that the story about the clutch replacement and the removal of the dual mass flywheel was all true (I figured it was, but there are shady shops). Clutch looks really good.

This morning I downloaded the factory manual for the transmission. Today is attempt #1 of the diff install. It looks really straight forward by the manual even if the Korean translations are hilarious. One of the funniest this morning "If it is inserted excessively, it may damage". Yep, this is the real factory manual. I remember laughing at these translations 16 years ago.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/27/19 7:11 a.m.

Word on the street is that you have a fun thing planned for this in the near future. That has me all excited for you. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/27/19 7:56 a.m.

all buttoned up.

All torn apart

@seth gotta get the bike sold so I can get the good stuff.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/27/19 12:45 p.m.

WEll attempt 1 for sure.  Got the case split, E36 M3fter assembly out. Got the reverse fork rod and the pins and balls off the 5-6 shaft and 3-4 shaft. This thing is fighting and the Korean to Engrish directions leave much to be desired.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/28/19 8:25 a.m.

After mulling it over in my head last night I think I know how to finish this.... So many little check balls and springs that I just wasn't expecting. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/22/19 11:03 a.m.

Mall that’s left is to press the bearings on and drop it back in. Then remember where all these little balls and clips and springs go. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/22/19 1:58 p.m.

Bikes gone. Cash in the bank. Now the hard decisions start. D2 asphalt coilovers of the ksports that I’ve run in the past?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/23/19 5:20 p.m.

Trans is together. Everything shifts and moves. So that’s good. Should be back in the car with the engine next week. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/30/19 3:33 p.m.

It’s in!

learned my $87 headers give you the option of starter or bottom O2 sensor. Since there’s no cat in these that was an easy choice. Cat will be downstream of the Y. Way too much work to go but it’s 90+ today and I’m not used to this!

sleepyhead the buffalo
6/30/19 3:45 p.m.

looking good!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/30/19 6:38 p.m.

I have never seen an aftermarket wheel that didn’t stakpnthe offset until now. Unknown brand, 17x7.5 stamped with 138AEWC, along with DOT T and the maximum load(1400) and psi (60). I almost wonder if it’s not 38 offset. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/30/19 6:44 p.m.

Never mind. They are MSR 138 with a 42 offset. That means the 8” 40 offset will definitely fit and clear. Yay!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/19/19 2:46 p.m.

Well, 2 weeks in Hong Kong, oppressive heat and pulled muscles are definitely slowing me down right now. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/22/19 8:38 a.m.

looked at the old radiator. Thinking about what it's going to see in the next few years. Ordered new aluminum radiator for $106. Seems like cheap insurance to me. Also, old exhaust had the mufflers cut off and the bolts were now rusted into round nuggets.... so $189 catback with silencers also got ordered. Budget is now pushing $1600 but these are things that I don't want to have to fix later.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bxKjzyMIBgqO2JOxrs29XAAHaUzXhvNNxQ29Gye4thdnRtYpSCIbyhe5SsiLhrut