Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
8/22/19 8:01 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Crack open the lines into/out of the ABS unit & get out as much air from there as you can?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/22/19 8:08 p.m.

Problem I have is I don’t have any help. I had her for an hour and now that’s done. I can take off tomorrow but what good does that do me? 

Anyone used the bigger harbor freight bleeders?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
8/22/19 10:39 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Do you have a Motive bleeder, or the parts & spare garden sprayer to make one?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
8/22/19 11:42 p.m.

https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Hyundai-Cars-2006-2008/Anti-Lock-Brake-System/Bleeding-the-ABS-System/_/P-0996b43f80e64871

is about all I can find that’s useful.  Lots of other stuff about “if you have abs, you have to take it to Hyundai to bleed because of ‘special tools’ required”

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/23/19 4:40 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Hyundai-Cars-2006-2008/Anti-Lock-Brake-System/Bleeding-the-ABS-System/_/P-0996b43f80e64871

is about all I can find that’s useful.  Lots of other stuff about “if you have abs, you have to take it to Hyundai to bleed because of ‘special tools’ required”

Yeah in 06 when they added esc that became the issue. But this is still the older car. Interestingly enough I did not have this problem with either forte (10 and 14)

sleepyhead the buffalo
8/23/19 5:09 a.m.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/809985/Hyundai-Tiburon-2003.html?page=291#manual

that’s the best I’ve found so far, and it’s not very good, afaik

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/23/19 6:00 a.m.

what you found are the factory service manuals that used to be availble online. Thats as good as it gets sadly. 

So I am taking a half day and taking Pete's advise to make a motive bleeder and and do it in the rr/lf, lr/rf order and see if I can get it to work. If not there may be a bonfire at my house around noon. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/23/19 11:52 a.m.

Homemade pressure bleeder mostly worked. A friend came over at 10 to help finish it off. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/23/19 1:05 p.m.

oh, I also learned that the cruise control works. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/23/19 1:07 p.m.

So you can threshold brake from 60 and not have it pull? ABS works? You know how I feel about track brakes. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/23/19 3:07 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

So you can threshold brake from 80 and not have it pull? ABS works? You know how I feel about track brakes. 

Fixed for correctness. There are two dark streaks down the paved road to attest to this. 

mazdeuce - Seth
8/23/19 3:09 p.m.

I'm happy again and can't wait for a weekend report. laugh

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/23/19 3:36 p.m.

ME TOO!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/23/19 5:58 p.m.

I honestly can’t get over how good this car rides in such numerically high spring rates. I mean, things that bump and jar me in her truck are no big deal in this. Is this what good coilovers are supposed to feel like? If so I could get used to this. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
8/23/19 6:49 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Yes. I’d describe my Miata the same way & I’m on 800lb/in front and 650lb/in rear springs. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/24/19 9:44 a.m.

First session in. Brakes held. Probably should have checked tire pressures. I think I like lsd fwd better than locker and rwd. Also crap tires are crap but the suspension is amazeballs. More to come later

session 2 cut short with a golf into the wall. Moved up in grid positions from 22 to 15. Brakes do get smelly after about 10 laps but better than I anticipated. I expected to have 2-3 good laps and then a cool down. Still going to need better pads. 

Car rotates. Almost too well. I had to use the gas a couple times to keep it in line one of which had me millimeters from the grass!

edit#2: 4 sessions in tires suck. Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for the suspension and lsd. Car makes 18minutes of hard lapping, then acts like it’s missing on a cylinder. Back off for half a lap and it comes back and away we go for another few laps before the session ends. 28novices in my group I’m 14th fastest in the group. I’m ok with that. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/24/19 2:34 p.m.

5th session in the books. Learned this is not a Honda. Use this thing I have called “torque”. I think my issue was from prolonged high rpm. Shifted to 4th earlier and it was happier and dropped another .9 off my times. I’ve dropped from a 1.50 to a 1.33. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
8/24/19 2:45 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I'm going to have to go hunting around for gear ratios, and stuff

edit:
also... Awesome!  Glad to hear it's making it through the day.

I wonder if it's heat build up, from the high rpms that's getting to some part of the ignition system?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/24/19 3:22 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Possibly. 6 sessions and it held together commendably. Not the fastest car, not the slowest. 

As for ratios I can tell you 4th gear hits redline at 100-ish, 3rd fear is right around 80, 2nd is about 60. Feeling the tug of the diff is going to take some getting used to for sure. 

So sone quick takeaways from today: first it must be quieter. Seriously I can’t hear anything right now. Second setup wise the car is very neutral tending to light oversteer. The only time it pushed was when I made the General all seasons do too much and even then getting back on line was a light throttle lift away. The brakes will hold up with better pads  it’s about 85 here and they’ve been abused for almost 2 hours at speed and they still stop  something decent will definitely help. Tires..... omg tires. That’s enough for that. Lastly the power will be adequate for the shorter tracks but anything long and straight is gonna suck. 

But the good news is this car will hang with frisbees and rx8’S both on the straights and in the corners. This last session is on the GoPro and was the most rewarding and frustrating at the same time. 

mazdeuce - Seth
8/24/19 4:34 p.m.

I don't understand why people want to get straights over with so quickly. For me, straights are used to collect my thoughts, check mirrors, adjust gloves, maybe dust the dash off a bit. I quite enjoy the quiet time. 

You have another day tomorrow?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
8/24/19 6:15 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Were you on track when Nocones went off in his MG?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/24/19 6:36 p.m.

No today was it for right now.  I’m exhausted. 2 hours of actual seat time is a lot. Not used to that. 

So fun notes: the car gets 13.9 mpg on the track. 14.2 gallon fuel tank. I thought the fuel gauge was wonky to start with. Nope. It was right. 20 minute sessions on a 2.1 mile course averaging just over 90 seconds per lap means I was burning over 2 gallons of fuel per session for 6 sessions.  Luckily the first session was short (15) and the 2nd session was black flagged 10 minutes in for a golf into a barrier. Otherwise I’d have almost run out of fuel!

good day. Car ran great. We finished mid pack for the group. Would have been bottom half for the intermediate group and dfl for the advance (big surprise). Got a lot of good feedback and more importantly learned the car doesn’t suck. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/24/19 6:37 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to bobzilla :

No I wasn’t. We were getting ready to line up for grid. I saw the aftermath. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
8/25/19 1:43 a.m.
bobzilla said:
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to bobzilla :

No I wasn’t. We were getting ready to line up for grid. I saw the aftermath. 

surprise

sleepyhead the buffalo
8/25/19 1:53 a.m.
bobzilla said:

20 minute sessions on a 2.1 mile course averaging just over 90 seconds per lap means I was burning over 2 gallons of fuel per session for 6 sessions.  Luckily the first session was short (15) and the 2nd session was black flagged 10 minutes in for a golf into a barrier. Otherwise I’d have almost run out of fuel!

Honestly, running a car down to where the light comes on on-Track is a pretty good test to do... just so you know what it’s going to do... slosh away?  Keep running with the light on for two laps?  Etc.  Having an idea of that before you’re actually trying to lay down a time reduces the “ZOMG” brainload factor.

edit to add: try and do that so you don’t Bork everyone else’s session by red flagging it when you run out of gas on the far side of the track, in between corner worker stations.

other thought:  time to add a mid-pipe resonator?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rAI756gb321kKluNAevzlnpHakLmA6eRTE9KHO01t7ZOQHbY1mSnxUlINeaEN1Al