36 37 38
Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/8/22 6:34 p.m.

After a couple of weeks of not being able to work on the car, the right front is done.   Discovered the sway bar mount braces were in the way of the 'long bolt' for the upper control arms, so the splitter and airdam ended up coming off.  Also, the front sway bar was just as tight as the rear, so I guess I need to add cleaning the sway bar mounts to the off-season maintenance schedule...

Hope to get to the left side over the next couple of days, so I can get the ride height set and then get it to the alignment shop.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/16/22 5:10 p.m.

No pics today, but I did finally finish the control arm/ spring swap.  Hope to fiddle with the ride height in the morning, and get it aligned next week, if I can get an appointment...

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/17/22 1:26 p.m.

Made the initial ride height adjustment.  Xida coilovers have torrington bearings at the adjustment collars, and they're designed to use a 5mm allen key as a spanner, so adjustments are pretty painless.

Also greased the control arm bushings.  The grease isn't really intended to lubricate, as much as it's to help seal out dirt, which will cause accelerated wear on the delrin bushings.  I bought a Bauer power grease gun from HF, which made the job quick and easy.

I had been planning to buy one of these for a while, as it will make greasing the wheel bearings on our trailer a much easier task.  Pretty impressed so far.  And it uses the same battery system as several other tools I have already.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/17/22 4:24 p.m.

Interesting.  For one of the first times in my life I have a vehicle that has stuff I need to grease.  The land cruiser's driveshafts are greasable and I doubt they've been done at all, so I'm going to do them at my next oil change.  I was just going to buy a "regular" grease gun, do you think the powered one is worth it?  I don't have any other Bauer tools, mostly I have Ryobi and Milwaukee, do either of those batteries work?

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/17/22 6:13 p.m.

Absolutely worth it.  I've wanted one since my neighbor (retired mechanic) was showing off his.  Just waited for Bauer to make one since I'm already invested in their battery system.

Both Ryobi and Milwaukee make power grease guns, so that's what I'd go with if you already have the batteries.  I have read here that there are battery adapters that can be found on eBay and other sources to switch things up, but I have no personal experience with them.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/21/22 4:28 p.m.

Last night, when I got home from work I discovered our patio screen door lying on the patio.  We had some pretty severe thunderstorms through last night, so I figured that was this issue.  This morning, my wife confirmed it.  Then I went out front, and discovered the 10x20 HF canopy we have covering our side yard was now in the neighbor's yard... surprise

Fortunately, nothing was damaged other than a few fence pickets, and the canopy itself.  After I cleaned it up, I 'wrapped' the Capri.

I guess it's time I finally build the permanent structure I've been putting off for three years...  should have done it when the price of steel wasn't nuts.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
8/7/22 12:46 p.m.

I guess I forgot to update last week.  Got the car aligned with the new suspension, so it's ready to go back on track.  The price of an alignment at the shop I use doubled since the last alignment on the NA!  I actually thought they were basically giving it away before, so it's still pretty darn reasonable, but just one more indicator of how screwed up things are.

Since our first planned event for the fall won't be until October, it's back in the trailer for now.  Maybe I can actually get the Capri in the garage and do a little work on it...

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
9/25/22 11:25 a.m.

Been a little while without an update, and honestly, not much car stuff going on.  But something big might be happening this week.

In the meantime, we were off on our usual September vacation.  This year it was a drive to Wisconsin for my nephew's wedding, returning on the Northern route to visit Teddy Roosevelt NP in North Dakota, and Yellowstone NP in Wyoming.  A good bit of August and early September was spent prepping for the trip.

We departed at our usual zero:darkthirty, and got to see the sunrise somewhere near Winslow on I40.

Fuel prices in AZ, NM, and TX were the highest of the trip... this was outside Amarillo...

We were only taking two days for the drive to Winsconsin, so we caught the sunset in our mirrors just over the state line into Oklahoma, and stayed in Weatherford, just West of OK City.

Kona has developed some anxiety issues over the last couple of years, and isn't really as happy about traveling as she used to be, but still does well on the long days.

Day two was another long slog North on 35 all the way into the Twin Cities where we hit traffic on I94, just a few miles from our destination... frustrating after a long day in the saddle...

The dog 'cousins' are BFF's and played to exhaustion every day we were there.

After a week of wedding related celebration and visiting, we were off again, this time West on I94, to our first destination on the return leg:  Medora, ND.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
9/25/22 12:06 p.m.

Surrounding Medora is the Theodore Roosevelt National Park.  It's not on many folks radar, being a smaller park, but it is absolutely beautiful.

We saw creatures large and small, from Prairie Dogs, to Deer, Elk and Bison.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
9/25/22 12:31 p.m.

Next we drove on to Cody, WY, where we were staying with friends who recently retired there.  They graciously let us park our rig on their property for a few days.

It had been almost 20 years since we've been to Yellowstone, and though the park hadn't changed much (still incredible!), there was more traffic, and lots of construction.  There were also still some closures related to the flooding earlier in the summer.  We still had a nice visit, and were able to see some things in the park we hadn't had time for on our last visit.

Entering the park from the East, you cross the Fishing Bridge.  My uncle, who is 93, lived in the Park as a child because his father was an engineer who worked on building the Fishing Bridge.

Yellowstone River

Tower Falls

There were Bison everywhere, but this newborn stood out from the crowd.  Sorry for the picture quality, it was taken through my spotting scope at a distance of around 1/2 mile, and I'm still trying to get the camera and scope to play well together.

I could post Yellowstone pics for days, there's so much to see.  If you haven't visited, you really should try to get there once in your life.  It's an amazing place!

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
9/25/22 12:37 p.m.

Finally, it was time for the long ride home.  We took two days coming home from Cody, overnighting in Blanding, UT.  We made a pit stop in the Glen Canyon Recreational area on the way there.  Another staggeringly beautiful area that is rarely traveled.

Another great trip in the books, and the truck, camper and Jeep performed perfectly.  Not sure why the display is showing a 0mpg average, maybe I inadvertently reset it.  Calculated average for the trip was 9.6mpg.  I haven't added up the cost of fuel for this trip, and I don't think I will... wink

Now it's time to get the NA ready for some fall events, though there might be something happening first....

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
9/25/22 1:00 p.m.

Excellent trip. Back in '09 I went on walkabout and visited many places out West. When I drove by Yellowstone, I cursed myself for not budgeting the time for a visit. 

Baby Bison is adorable.

36 37 38
Our Preferred Partners
cFDxYaF5IXm73hQGEH5meawZGX6LFFlsuzJ923e9ckKW3JdX3LyVPYziHwyW04oU