1 2 3 4
yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
6/27/22 8:54 a.m.

These cars are pretty easy to LS swap if you use the kit. It pretty much covers and provides everything you'd need. Even AC, gauges etc. I think the money would be worth it given how pretty these cars are. These cars can be hard to work on and have some questionable part placement that make it super annoying to reassemble. Yes they make 370hp but Jaguar took the complicated heat-soaky route to that 370hp lol. 

And don't bother mentioning swaps on the Jag forums or to Jag purest like Frenchy. To them, nothing is better than a Jag with a Jag engine. 

a_florida_man
a_florida_man HalfDork
6/27/22 9:06 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

That would be amazing.

Do you have a build thread?

a_florida_man
a_florida_man HalfDork
6/27/22 9:08 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

A vacuum line diagram would be VERY useful.

Thanks!

kflavin(AT)windstream(DOT)net

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
6/27/22 9:33 a.m.

One main VC bolt has SAE head markings. That's sad..... :)

I lol'd! Those breaks in the wire harness would make me even sadder. You're living the dream =)

golfduke
golfduke Dork
6/27/22 9:49 a.m.

I really feel that I need a $1200 jag in my life.  Things are going too well for me, I need a littel slap back to reality, haha.  

Good luck, following with interest. 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
6/27/22 10:35 a.m.

These are just one of the best looking GT drop tops out there.  Especially the extra racy bits that the XKR got.  The color and condition are fantastic for a $1200 beast.  I have almost bought XJR's a few times but have backed off out of fear of Lucas...

a_florida_man
a_florida_man HalfDork
6/27/22 11:26 a.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

It appears that Lucas was vanquished in favor of Nippondenso.

I have a '58 100-6 Healey... so I do know all of the Lucas jokes...

Why to Brits drink warm beer?

Lucas makes refrigerators too.

Lucas, prince of darkness.

Lucas, home before night.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
6/27/22 11:44 a.m.

You seem to be more than prepared for anything it throws at you - will be enjoying vicariously.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/27/22 12:01 p.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

Nice find & well bought.

This web-site has been valuable for keeping my own supercharged big cat going.  Lots of technical support.

What are your plans for the car?  Keep it nice and road going? or stripped and Challenge race car?

a_florida_man
a_florida_man HalfDork
6/27/22 12:30 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Thanks, I'll do my best... the rest is up to the car. :)

a_florida_man
a_florida_man HalfDork
6/27/22 12:35 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Thanks 

Ive hit that site many times with Google searches. 

Im going to do both if I can keep it under budget. It has an improved exhaust system and the intake mods might be a net improvement, so I'm thinking that if the active suspension is still good, adding some overdrive supercharger pulleys could make it respectable in dynamic scoring.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man HalfDork
6/27/22 12:39 p.m.

I might use Dad's old xke tools, even if just ceremoniously, in an attempt to summon some ancient British mojo.

Cant hurt.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man HalfDork
6/27/22 1:54 p.m.

Well, it's now officially a project.

Title work is done, and the first part has arrived.

Coolant expansion tank. 
Old one went out with a bang...

$1200 + $48.99 = $1248.99

a_florida_man
a_florida_man HalfDork
6/27/22 9:58 p.m.

Compression test done.

Last test done by a mechanic listed 2 cylinders low.

I found 1 for sure.

It was #8. 

The #8 plug was clean, and the top of the piston was shiny.

FRONT

#5 140  #1 165

#6 150  #2 167

#7 153  #3 150

#8 100 #4 150

When I wet #8 down with gear oil , it popped up to 180. I should have grabbed regular oil, but got in a hurry. So I think some of that rise was just gear oil taking up space. Not the best test.

How ever it is safe to say that there will be a progressive tear down and inspection. 

On a lighter note...

80% of whats wrong with the interior is all in the drivers seat. Broken welds, separated (not torn) upholstery, broken plastic, etc.

The broken seat fatigued the floor pan, it will have to be welded, NBD.

The trunk is pretty good, needs some rust stabilization, POR-15, and the battery hold down nuts re welded to the trunk pan.

grover
grover Dork
6/27/22 10:09 p.m.

I love these 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/27/22 10:13 p.m.

The right side of the trunk says a hell of a lot of nope to me.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man HalfDork
6/27/22 10:22 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

The design, or the condition?

Or both? LOL

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/27/22 10:46 p.m.

I'll cover all the bases and say both. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
6/28/22 7:07 a.m.

PO said "near mint" and "rust-free."

Not sure if ignorant or liar.....

Either way, in for the fun

a_florida_man
a_florida_man HalfDork
6/28/22 7:42 a.m.
jfryjfry said:

PO said "near mint" and "rust-free."

Not sure if ignorant or liar.....

Either way, in for the fun

So yeah, thats a funny story.... the actual seller was a very open and honest guy. He gave me all sorts of written information on the car's last year of issues. He was as open as he knew to be. Really great guy, just not very mechanicaly experienced. He was a car guy in the sense that he liked and appreciated the car, he just could not handle the larger issues at hand.

HE was having a younger friend sell it on FB for him. That guy had seen the car a couple of times, and ridden in it in better days. He was an honest guy too, just WAY enthusiastic to help out. The actuall seller gave a 100% accurate description on the phone before I saw the car in person. And in person we laughed at the FB ad description. 

Anyway, it was all legit in the end. But still sort of funny..... 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/28/22 10:08 a.m.

If you look there should be a vent tube for the battery.  When Jaguar put the battery in the trunk there was a special battery with a vent tube to keep acids out of the trunk.   It's obvious from appearance that has been neglected.   Lacking that you might get a boat battery box to capture vented acids.  

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
6/28/22 10:16 a.m.

I have a spare bnib Mercedes AMG intercooler pump.  Its flows better than the stock one on the Jags. The install isn't hard as it basically fits in the oem spot just have to swap out the plugs from the harness, easy soldering work. 

Just let me know if you have space in your challenge budget, I'll let it go cheap. I can't remember how much I paid for it back in 2016 because I bought 2.  These things need all the help they can get managing heatsoak. 

a_florida_man
a_florida_man HalfDork
6/28/22 10:32 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Sounds great, pm me a price!

a_florida_man
a_florida_man HalfDork
6/28/22 10:34 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Vent tube is there, and was hooked to this battery.... I unhooked it when I pulled the battery out to charge it. 

But, yes, there are always challenges with trunk mounted batteries. I suppose a sealed gel or wire wound battery would be best if there was one for this application. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
6/28/22 10:40 a.m.

Looks like you are going to get sometime with your tombstone welder to fix those weldnuts.

Stampies rust concern is funny. Its just chemicals away from being 'OK'.

Gear oil for compression check, hmm files that away for selling off crap engines...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W165lS7LRDJ8OImj49V0nS6CIRqqUC4M3RXzk6DHES4hxXp5pPdSau07AGQAjKRc