1 2 3 4
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/23/12 9:05 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Why is it not selling me a XX? This is not my beautiful house! This is not my beautiful wife! And celica, why would you insult such a beautiful thread with such a picture?

That's my "It's so beautiful" face. That's why.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
10/23/12 9:13 a.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

Well, here's my, "thats so beautiful face:"

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
11/14/12 9:53 a.m.

So after a couple of days in the garage I found this.

Apparently it's like introducing a new animal into the house as now both trucks and the wife's car are leaking fluids.

I am currently working on getting the turbo drain and oil pan baffles done. I'll post pics later.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
11/14/12 10:12 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: So after a couple of days in the garage I found this. http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu62/moparman76_69/Van project/20121024_221542.jpg Apparently it's like introducing a new animal into the house as now both trucks and the wife's car are leaking fluids. I am currently working on getting the turbo drain and oil pan baffles done. I'll post pics later.

Try this:

Looks like the coolant hose for the heater core is leaking. No big deal, other than the mess being where you normally lay down. Put some grease sweep (kitty litter) down and sweep it up after a few days.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
11/14/12 10:45 a.m.

In reply to turboswede:

I know where it's coming from, it's the power steering pump. I was more pointing out the comedy of all my vehicles "marking their territory"

I'll fix the picture link when I get home. The site and my phone aren't playing nice ATM.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
11/14/12 12:54 p.m.

Its the space in the folder name. Replace it with an "_" and all should be well (of course you'll have to correct the other picture links)

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
12/5/12 8:22 p.m.

So I pulled the pan off the engine to install a drain for the turbo, since it will be on the front of the engine and all that, so I welded in a 1/2 NPT AL bung with some of that AL brazing rod. It turned out ugly but leak free.

While I had it off I decided to build a baffle setup instead for spending 400 bucks on a fancy crank scraper/windage tray/baffle setup. Again it ain't pretty but it should work.

It is setup to leave around a 10mm gap between the baffle and the pan. The idea is to slow down the oil slosh enough to keep the pickup from sucking air during cornering. I added the screen just to help with windage.

Again it ain't pretty since I'm a fab noob, but function > form.

noddaz
noddaz Reader
12/5/12 8:50 p.m.

This is so good... Keep going...

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
12/7/12 8:45 a.m.

Really enjoying this build

ronholm
ronholm Reader
12/28/12 9:11 a.m.

Nice!

Now all it needs are some antlers.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
12/28/12 12:29 p.m.

Inspiration??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=78InPT4iqlw

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
12/28/12 1:21 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Inspiration?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=78InPT4iqlw

Awesome.

keithj
keithj New Reader
12/29/12 4:02 p.m.

I cant tell if that is weld spatter but I would make sure all that is off before you button her up. Digging the mini though.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
12/29/12 4:39 p.m.

so cool.

Keep going, take pictures, post pictures here.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
12/29/12 5:35 p.m.
keithj wrote: I cant tell if that is weld spatter but I would make sure all that is off before you button her up. Digging the mini though.

I cleaned it all off before putting the pan back on.

As for progress, the rear axle is out again so I can clean up some rust along the factory welds. Everywhere the factory welded anything like panel seams, spot welds, and the shock mounts, has stared to get surface rust. I started to clean it up to repaint it, but quickly realized that the rust was a little deeper, so I ordered one of the POR-15 sample packs to paint over everything.

In other news, I tried leaving the engine and trans alone in the garage, but apparently they aren't that interested in each other. I'll have to forcibly mate them.

Pics to come next weekend when I get a chance to work on it again.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
12/29/12 8:24 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: In other news, I tried leaving the engine and trans alone in the garage, but apparently they aren't that interested in each other. I'll have to forcibly mate them.

streetvan1
streetvan1
12/29/12 9:40 p.m.

I've owned two turbo caravans. One 5 speed, that was kinda quick, and one fairly stock automatic one with wood panelling that was lowered. They're a blast, I suspect that twin cam head swap would net power well above the 4000 rpm where the stock head seems to die out.

Mine was even slightly famous - I won tickets to a black keys concert, with backstage passes, in a radio/online photo contest for the coolest minivan!

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
12/31/12 11:36 a.m.
streetvan1 wrote: Mine was even slightly famous - I won tickets to a black keys concert, with backstage passes, in a radio/online photo contest for the coolest minivan!

How couldn't you win?

burdickjp
burdickjp New Reader
1/1/13 9:55 p.m.

EFFIN' AWESOME.

I'm not a Mopar fan by anyone's definition, but I'm glad there are people who are, because there's a lot of awesome to be had there, and someone has to exploit it.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
1/5/13 4:55 p.m.
streetvan1 wrote: I've owned two turbo caravans. One 5 speed, that was kinda quick, and one fairly stock automatic one with wood panelling that was lowered. They're a blast, I suspect that twin cam head swap would net power well above the 4000 rpm where the stock head seems to die out. Mine was even slightly famous - I won tickets to a black keys concert, with backstage passes, in a radio/online photo contest for the coolest minivan!

Pretty awesome first post. Needs a build thread for maximum GRM turbovan takeover.

ronholm
ronholm Reader
1/6/13 7:08 p.m.

In reply to moparman76_69:

I am in for a turbovan takeover for sure!

crankwalk
crankwalk New Reader
1/13/13 12:02 p.m.

Love the turbo Caravans. Always wanted a turbo 5 speed

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
1/15/13 8:31 p.m.

Finally getting somewhere.

This is what I'm dealing with.

Apparently anywhere the factory had a weld, the area is starting to rust, nothing bad, especially compared to the wheel wells/rockers.

This area is where I was most concerned, it is what holds the front spring holder for the rear leaf springs.

This is after I cleaned/prepped the area. The other side is done already but I didn't like the way the paint I used turned out color wise so I'm re-doing it. I'm using krylon rust tough zinc rich primer in those areas and a sample pack of por-15 in others. The krylon is supposed to be a paint over rust paint also, but is much easier to use, I'd had decent luck with it in the past.

An after shot where I used por-15:

The plan is to have the rear section painted/fixed and the rear diff and axle in this week.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
1/28/13 9:51 p.m.

Took a few days longer than I expected but....

I has a rear diff.

Unfortunately it looks like the spacing is off for the front torque arm mount thingy, so I'll have to modify the torque arm to move it back.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
3/20/13 6:11 a.m.

Ugh, life kinda took over again. I slowly got stuff straightened up in the garage so I could work slightly more efficiently. I did get the front arm modified to fit, but destroyed the rubber mount in the process. Found out finding a replacement for just the rubber part was impossible, no aftermarket listing and Chrysler only lists the arm a an assembly for 400 bucks. So I ordered some 80A urethane so I can cast a new one, and fill the motor mounts at the same time.

I fail for not having at least a few pics, but I'll make up for it later.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ViFN7l6Ufr8MFdHcIgNQE2tbAQYPoEjEGYMzHccnSUkZhB5Vq2gWpglIIZzyq4Yc