2 3 4
eastsideTim UltraDork
4/5/18 7:56 a.m.

And the forecast has changed - we're getting clouds by the time the temperature hits the 40s today.  May still run the heater in the garage, then open the garage door and fire up the car and run its heater, and see if that is enough to stretch the top to close it.  Was really hoping to drive it sometime soon, and have the garage bay available for other projects.

EvanB MegaDork
4/5/18 9:15 a.m.

You can still drive it with the top down...that's what the heater is for. cheeky

Running the car heater full blast heats the top up pretty quick. 

wae SuperDork
4/5/18 9:26 a.m.

And for parking outside, just get you one of those free tarp coupons from Harbor Freight!  Problem solved!

Look at the upside:  The 10 day forecast doesn't have any good convertible weather, so you're not missing anything there...

eastsideTim UltraDork
4/5/18 9:46 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Yeah, but the general recommendation seems to be to keep the top up for a couple of weeks after you latch it so it’ll stretch into shape.  Of course, knowing this area, they’ll dump salt on the road again soon.  I saw the pile of salt at Cargill last weekend, and it’s still huge.

EvanB, if I have time I think I’ll be trying the car’s heater today after work.

eastsideTim UltraDork
4/5/18 8:37 p.m.

Cranked the garage heater up after lunch, and tried to latch the top after work was over - no luck

Started the car, and turned the heater on full blast (after opening the garage door), and covering the roof of the car like I was about to fumigate it...

Still didn't work.  Decided to risk loosening the rain rail nuts.  SUCCESS!!!

It's not perfect, but I have a new top that should be far more weatherproof than the old, torn one. 

The interior still needs to be put back together, and the weatherstripping may need a bit of adjustment, (and one of the driver's side pieces should be replaced).  I am also going to install the factory behind the seat brace that I go from guy I bought the car from.  It won't fit exactly as it should, due to some mounting blocks from the style bar that used to be on the car, but I've already picked up some hardware that will allow it to go on. 


Now, the two rounds of snow that are predicted in the next week need to hurry up and go through, so I can take the car out and enjoy it on relatively salt free roads!

eastsideTim UltraDork
4/8/18 3:54 p.m.

And the interior is now all back together!  Just have to wait out the next round of (almost no) snow, and hope for no more salt getting dumped on the roads.

eastsideTim UltraDork
4/24/18 3:54 p.m.

Just a quick update.  I've been driving it when I'm around, and since we've had enough rain to wash away most of the road salt.  The butterfly brace has made a huge difference in how solid the car feels, I'm loving it.  Still haven't dropped the top, but I think we should be getting some better weather by the end of the week, so that'll be a good time to try it out.

Other than maintenance, I think the car is pretty much where I want it to be for now.  A roll bar would be nice, but I think I'm going to depend on the factory brace.  Maybe next year.  Since the body is kind of rough, I don't want to dump too much money into it.


eastsideTim UltraDork
8/22/18 8:27 p.m.

The Miata sat for a couple of months while a noise in the rear was stumping me.   I'd assumed worn bushings, but when I jacked it up and gave them a quick inspection they seemed okay.  Today, I finally got it into the garage for an oil change, and a thorough inspection while on the jackstands.  The left rear wheel seemed a little more easily locked up with the emergency brake than the right, so I pulled the wheel off, and think I found the problem.  When I ran the impact, two of the lugnuts came off with pretty much no resistance.  Between this and the electrical issues in the truck, I'm realizing I have a tendency to overlook obvious possibilities when I'm stressed.  I really need to be more careful about that. 

After I adjusted the ebrake, my wife and I took the car out.  Other than the usual 220K mile squeaks and rattles, it appears to be fine now.

2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners