bOttOmfeeder
bOttOmfeeder New Reader
5/26/21 3:40 p.m.

A few years ago, I documented the build of this Jeep.  

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/the-cherokee-affair/143386/page1/

I fixed up a 2000 Jeep Cherokee for my son while he was in school.   He used it at school and issues starting it.  After a new battery and a starter replacement(requiring me to drive 9 hours to perform), we finally determined it was a failing Neutral Safety Switch.  This was replaced easily.

However, this episode lead my wife to declare the Jeep was not reliable enough for him 4 hours away from home.   The air conditioning also failed.   It needed a few more things too.

So the vehicle landed back in my driveway and I drove it instead.    I slowly began improving things.....

--------

Pulled dashboard, and replaced heater core/AC/blower motor.  

Replaced front carpeting.   I found someone on FB who bought new carpeting and never installed it.  Got it for half price-my brother picked it up on his travels so shipping was free.

Replaced the thermostat - which really improved cold weather driving.....

Replaced injectors after one injector fried about a mile from home.....

Put in LED reverse light bulbs.   Factory ones were pitiful.

Welded in a new driver's side rocker panel.  - Rust worm....

It did Jeep things.....

bOttOmfeeder
bOttOmfeeder New Reader
5/26/21 3:58 p.m.

Then I found someone selling an unused Rusty's 4.5" lift kit on FB.   $300 off the regular price and no shipping....

Hmmmm.

So things escalated.   I took my time with the install.   

I used ALOT of heat to get the leaf spring bolts out.  It worked.   I replaced all the hardware.  

Built extended bump stops.

Replaced the steering with new ZJ V8 stuff...

The drop link bolt was a pain.  I had to pull of the bracket and used mucho heat and got it out.   NEw hardware installed.

I painted everything with Rustoleum Black..... even the new stuff.

I found a set of Wrangler 16x8 wheels on FB for $140.   Deal.

I swapped the Slip Yoke for a new driveshaft.   I took apart the transfer case and had a friend machine the output shaft on a lathe.  Rebuilt the case with new seals and clips.  More heat and welding needed for the frozen drain plug, but I was successful in saving the case.

New u-joints in the front shaft.  New u-joints for used JY rear driveshaft, but cracked the yoke.  So I had to get a new one made to perfect length.  Price on ebay was fair.

So yesterday, I got new BFG's.....  Memorial Day rebate!  

265/75R16  AT KO

It will become the cabin toy, snowboarding and hunting hauler.....It's fun to drive.

I still have a few more projects.....   

• Oil Pan gasket and Rear Mail Seal
  • Passenger side Rocker Panel weld up and paint.
  • Air Bag light is on....
  • Paint the door trim black
  • Maybe a DIY front bumper weld up kit
amerson
amerson New Reader
5/26/21 10:30 p.m.

Those wrangler wheels look good.

Replacing the front and rear bumpers is definitely a nice idea.

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/27/21 9:06 a.m.

Jeep XJ's are indeed fun.  My 1999 is my go to daily, mild lift, bigger tires.  At 230,000 miles, still runs good.  Just basic maintenance.  Also acquired a 2000 XJ.  Crash victim.  130,000 miles, runs strong.  Already had a lift, new big tires, and whole lot of new maintenance parts. Slowly making it into a woods truck.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
5/27/21 9:14 a.m.

Looking good. 

I'm kind of partial to them myself. 

This is the DIY weld-up winch bumper from Amazon. 

20210123_171651.jpg

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
5/27/21 1:45 p.m.

Nice. I got a 86 XJ I'm currently working on, 2.5 with the 5 spd. Its my 3rd cherokee so I'll be following your build. 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/28/21 12:05 p.m.

A friend just sent me a current picture of his topless Cherokee build. He's almost finished with his tool bar:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HRp5iHTA4QdMNEym8Axn64CImcfkDYg6xvgBsSnJkBjovnYYodEJbq9IKpQKvW9e