maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
5/1/18 7:32 a.m.

In reply to Chappers :

I deviated a bit from that plan and put two 2x4 gussets on each side, for each of the big 2x10s. I think it needed it. I also didn't do the top 2x4, I just drilled a hole in the 2x10's. 

No updates, still mounting the IRS under the Datsun. I want that one rolling on all four tires and the body panels mostly attached before I switch back to the hot rod again. The Datsun is too "disassembled" right now taking up a lot of space. Sorry to all the readers clicking this and expecting new progress.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
8/8/18 11:39 a.m.

No real update, other than this bit of moving amusement I found in my phone. The low life is already too real.

Yep, I bottomed out on the Penske trailer. I had to unhitch the trailer, jack the tongue way up, and lift the rear of the hot rod with a floor jack. Much scraping was had. Worth it for all the thumbs-up on the highway.

Rice Rod is tucked away in its new home, hiding behind an enormous wall of moving boxes that have yet to be stored properly. I am still focused on Datsaniti for this year's Challenge, but can't wait to dive back into this one. I am so glad I brought it with me because it looked pretty bitchin' in the rearview of that moving truck.

Nicklovin
Nicklovin New Reader
11/1/18 11:28 p.m.

Can't wait to see this beauty when it's done 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
11/2/18 7:43 a.m.

Still on the back-burner until I get the Datsun a little more sorted. I will also need to excavate it from under the pile of car parts and scrap metal. I can't believe it's been over half a year since I last worked on it. Gonna be a LOT of surface rust on that bare metal frame.

Right now my sanity needs the Datsun to be fully street-able before I dive deep into another inop vehicle. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/2/18 9:01 a.m.

I love this build, but every time I see the that beautiful frame swoop at the firewall, my spidy senses tingle a bit.

I am not a structural expert but I worry about this point holding the stress.

And now that the challenge is over, please go back to working on this build. Big fan.

Pete

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
11/2/18 10:18 a.m.

I was worried too, so I fishplated it on both vertical sides with fully-welded 1/8" steel plates a few pages back. Including the 1/8" thick tube wall, that means each frame rail contains 4 x 3" tall plates. That's a lot of section modulus. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
3/31/19 4:22 p.m.

I still have this project, but I still haven't done anything with it. Except move it outside for the first time in over 6 months. Patiently waiting its turn.

Norma66
Norma66 Reader
3/31/19 9:59 p.m.

We want more!

Mrfurzzy
Mrfurzzy
4/1/19 5:41 a.m.

I can't wait for this build to return! I have been a long time lurker ever since mazdeuce's R63 thread went viral, and this build is my absolute favorite. I would love to one day have the skill to do something similar. I am just getting my first body work experience with a very rusty 86 MR2 that my wife and I are slowly restoring.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
4/2/19 10:29 a.m.

I've seen bits and pieces of this build as it pops up on the front page, just went and read from page one.  Hope to see more of this build, your fab skills are next level. yes

Ognib
Ognib New Reader
4/2/19 2:10 p.m.

Nice!  I'm an old rodder & it's always a "warm fuzzy" moment when I see something like this built up.

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
10/6/19 3:22 p.m.

Any updates on this? I know you've been through some life changes, hope things are well and this car is still on the to-do list. smiley

adam525i
adam525i Reader
10/27/19 10:11 p.m.

Sooooo...time to dig back into this? Maybe test out that new welder?

We're all somewhat patiently waiting smiley

Adam

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
10/28/19 9:35 a.m.

I just dug up the budget for this car out of curiosity. It's currently at $2,943 by Challenge rules. If you ignore the recoup limit, the "actual" budget is only $2,270. I think another $500 will get it on the road.

Seriously considering an Exhibition entry for 2020. But first I have to evict the stray cat I think lives in it...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/28/19 9:56 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Please!!!!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/28/19 9:58 a.m.

If we FMV the stray cat can we get it back under budget?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/28/19 10:52 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

If we FMV the stray cat can we get it back under budget?

I’ll allow it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/28/19 11:36 a.m.

If you adopted the cat and it qualified for the right veterinary clinical trial, according to Sara it would be worth a $500 payout to you as the owner plus somewhere around $300-2k in free medications and bloodwork.  So if you can verify that it has diabetes or kidney disease, which are what most of the more lucrative studies are for, your stray cat's FMV is at least $500.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
10/28/19 11:51 a.m.

Oh yes, I want to see this thing in action next year. Don't skimp on it to make it fit in Challenge budget, but definitely bring it as exhibition. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/28/19 11:51 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

If you adopted the cat and it qualified for the right veterinary clinical trial, according to Sara it would be worth a $500 payout to you as the owner plus somewhere around $300-2k in free medications and bloodwork.  So if you can verify that it has diabetes or kidney disease, which are what most of the more lucrative studies are for, your stray cat's FMV is at least $500.

I love this place. Where else.....

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
10/28/19 12:39 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I love this place. Where else.....

Right? Right?

Put me in the group that really wants to see this thing finished. So much awesome.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
11/13/19 6:16 p.m.

Things are happening. I think I'm ready.

No signs of the cat yet. Guess she moved out.

java230
java230 UberDork
11/13/19 7:34 p.m.

Can't wait to see more rice rod! 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
11/14/19 8:02 a.m.
java230 said:

Can't wait to see more rice rod! 

Same boat.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork