AWSX1686
AWSX1686 UltraDork
1/13/20 11:16 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

I can't say enough good things about my Challenge first prize Miller 211. It's so much more machine than my old little 175, and I'm happy to put it to good use.

I also have a 211, and love it. This thing is moving along nicely. Your attention to detail shows, and you will and already do have something to be proud of here. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/15/20 6:02 p.m.
Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/15/20 6:39 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I think every time I read one of your post I learn something. Thanks. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/15/20 7:16 p.m.
NOHOME said:

ooh I'm going to have to try that

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/15/20 7:37 p.m.

That's one of the cooler things I've seen in a long time.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/15/20 7:39 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I can't see a thing, what gives?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/15/20 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Don't know. NOHOME posted this video. Link should work even if you can't see his embed. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/15/20 8:55 p.m.

Tube origami is one of the things that every chassis builder should look into and consider.  The process shown in the video is much easier if you have a bandsaw, but glad they show how to manage with the cutoff wheel.

Pete

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/15/20 9:34 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Funny. Once I linked up to WiFi at home, it popped up. Thanks!

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
1/16/20 8:30 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Okay that was pretty amazing.

I'm not that inventive.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/16/20 9:10 a.m.

In reply to The0retical :

I am not either, but once you open your mind to the possibility of square tube origami, there is a lot you can do to make stuff that looks better than flat plate welded together.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/18/20 7:05 p.m.

Variation of the above. What i like and why I posted is because it is finished with a stick welder.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/18/20 8:28 p.m.
maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
1/18/20 8:40 p.m.

We use similar tube cutting techniques at work, but with lazers and CAD. I can't think that far ahead with my personal projects, so I resort to the grinder.

These are headlight mounts. You'll see.

I'll chop off the excess thread. Then I started chopping up the original 1931 fenders. That felt kind of wrong in a good way.

I think I can mount the fenders from under the UCA mount thing. Let's call it a buttress? The inside of the fender and the bottom of the "buttress" are on the same plane. A tube or angle section can join them and provide stiffness. I think.

I love this view, because the edge of the fender matches the frame pretty well. Notice the three holes in the coilover mount. That is what we call a motif. You'll see...

With the headlights and front end coming together, I was about to weld in the bumper tube, or frame spreader, or bash bar, whatever you want to call it. Then I remembered turn signals. And the motif. So I had an idea.

Oh I like that. Just have to do it 5 more times now.

I drilled holes in the frame for the wires to run inside the frame rails and pop out under the cab. The headlight wires will do similar.

I found some modules to make the signals light up sequentially, like Mustang taillights. I think that will look cool.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy UltraDork
1/19/20 7:48 a.m.

So, the inside flange of the fenders is going to ride just outside the frame rail to account for your wide stance? Looks great. You managed to make the modern A-arm suspension look nice enough to do no fenders, then you covered them back up. Belt and suspenders.

I really like the idea of Rat-Rod on the outside, highly engineered corner carver underneath. It's nice that you are maintaining the "whimsy" of the Rat movement with sequential blinkers. Have fun!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
1/19/20 7:59 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Thanks! I want the fenders to be easily removable, so it needs to look good both ways. All those weld nuts will come in handy. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
1/27/20 9:54 p.m.

Naked frame, hopefully for the last time ever. It balances almost perfectly in all directions on the floor jack. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
1/27/20 9:56 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

That's impressive.  Question...  did you have a layout of the chassis when you started or did you just keep fabbing until you got what works?

Your E36 M3 is always impressive.  

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
1/28/20 8:01 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Mostly the latter. I had a body, a rear axle, and a front suspension. I put wheels on them, and mocked up everything where I thought it would look cool. I had a general shape of the frame in mind, where it curves upward next to the engine and "Z"s behind the cab. Most of it is just fab to fit.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/28/20 8:10 a.m.

I know where you're at, and am excited to see your finished product.  Knowing you're blowing it apart for the last time is a huge motivator.  

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
1/28/20 10:11 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

That looks amazing in silver. I still can't decide what to paint mine, but leaning toward a cream/almond white.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
2/9/20 3:27 p.m.

Every last bracket has been welded fully, grinded, smoothed as necessary. Every square inch has been run over with the cup brush and acetoned clean repeatedly. The garage has been Dexter'ed up with plastic, and the paint has been acquired. 

I was curious about the frame's weight. 225 lbs, balanced pretty evenly at the trans cross-member.

I also body-filled a little bit on the frame. Yeah, go ahead and judge. It's not like I'm filling welds, just a few nicks and divot fills to smooth it all out. I've put way too much effort into this frame for it to show grinder marks under paint.

Even though it's build from fresh structural steel, I decided to coat the insides of the frame rails with this stuff. The 6 cab mounts have a large access hole on the bottom, which I figure will accumulate water and road debris. This actually worked pretty well. Two cans was enough for two solid coats everywhere I could fit the tube, not just the main rails. No good way to photograph the inside, but look how it pours out of all the drain holes I drilled earlier.

Then I ingeniously supported the frame on jack stands without touching any outer surfaces.

The color from Tractor Supply is called "IH White". I figure implement paint is tough enough for my hot rod frame. I may follow it up with some enamel clear I ended up not using for Datsaniti. Going to spray through my Harbor Freight HVLP gun, same one I painted Datsaniti with about a year ago for my first paint job ever. So that makes this my second paint job ever. Here were go!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/9/20 4:21 p.m.

I love when this pops to the top of the forum.

gumby
gumby HalfDork
2/9/20 4:55 p.m.

I use the same implement paint from Tractor Supply here. I am using the Ford grey for engine bay stuff and satin black for bottom side things.

IH white is gonna look great on your frame. Did you get the reducer for spraying also? I see the catalyst.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
2/9/20 10:35 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

I have some lacquer thinner for it. I contemplated the Ford grey. It's a nice look too, especially in your application.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
muozyeyJ364o5sJP2NRj8HWdwgBTVOLbQH3OKtDhzWC7ZKkTnvZUL3AXWl9hO43z