maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) SuperDork
6/12/20 11:13 a.m.

Yall too kind. You should have seen the backside of that panel...way too pitted and chewed up. 

Yeah I'm probably going to save the visor and scrap the rest of the roof. A 4'x4' sheet of 20ga should do it. 

6/18/20 8:23 p.m.

More upper windshield progress. The technique here is fit it up, grind a little, fit up again, until it's all just right. This aluminum windshield frame was a somewhat high-dollar piece, but I didn't have one in the first place and it tilts really cool.

FINALLY breaking out the welder! 

Look at that tilt out action! It's not bolted together yet, but everything fits. Here's the next problem: when I built the roof skeleton, I made it too tall and pointy. Just doesn't look right. I need to make it lower and flatter before stretching some fresh sheetmetal over it. And also weld the rest of it together.

java230
java230 UberDork
6/18/20 9:00 p.m.

I believe in you chopping and fixing the roof framing! 

10001110101 New Reader
6/18/20 9:25 p.m.

From what we've seen so far, that roof framing is an easy fix for you. I can't wait to see this thing all together.

rustomatic
rustomatic New Reader
6/19/20 9:34 a.m.

This is such an awesome project!  Tubing is usually so much less of a hell than sheetmetal, unless one really enjoys the many joys of sheetmetal.  The windshield ventilation thing was definitely of another era/speed expectation . . .

6/27/20 3:19 p.m.

Chopped up the roof frame to match the visor better. Tape helps line things up.

Bit of a gap there

Much better. Weld it all solid again and hit it with some primer.

Since my goal is to paint the interior before putting the body on the frame, I might as well tackle the patches while I wait on my 20ga sheet for the roof.

I use the masking tape and razor blade method for patching rust holes.

Gas tank? Nope not here anymore.

Plenty more left to keep me busy.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/28/20 8:57 a.m.

What's you projected timeframe for completion?

6/28/20 9:27 a.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

What's you projected timeframe for completion?

Oof I hate that question. Hoping to drive it this summer, even if just N/A with OEM harness/ECU. I want to blow some minds at Caffiene and Octane this year.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/28/20 12:14 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

I understand hating that question. 

It's not a question of accountability. It's a question of interest.

Im buying a Model A, and am around ATL a lot. I will also be at the Challenge this year. Seems like we should get together at some point!

6/30/20 8:19 a.m.

Sheet of 20ga acquired. Nervous about this part.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
6/30/20 9:02 a.m.

Just perused the thread again for tube bending motivation.laugh

java230
java230 UberDork
6/30/20 10:00 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

You got this.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/30/20 10:08 a.m.

Build it in sections? That way youre working one area at a time, and just welding together at the end vs trying to make a complex oanel from scratch in one go?

6/30/20 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

That's the plan. 3 sections - 2 curved sides and 1 big flat, with the 1x1 frame being the joints. Should help prevent warping. I also want to bead roll some rows into the center panel, for stiffness and style. 

Chappers
Chappers Reader
6/30/20 11:40 a.m.

Wow Travis, I didn't realized you were going for a clean build. It's looking very splendid! 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UberDork
6/30/20 1:30 p.m.
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

Sheet of 20ga acquired. Nervous about this part.

Why nervous?   If it doesn't work how you want it to, it's only metal.  You have made metal your bitch so far, what's the difference? 

7/7/20 8:13 a.m.

Getting real tired of these afternoon rain showers so a change of venue was in order. I didn't like putting the chassis outside, but it's painted, and it's a car that will get driven, so why not.

These weld-nuts hold the windshield hinge to the header panel. I was about to fully weld the header panel and visor, then my bottle ran out. Right when the 3-day weekend began. Argh.

That's okay, there is plenty I can do without welding. Like making the roof panel. I marked where to cut by spraying primer from below.

Preeeeetty good fit.

Rolled some beads into it for stiffness

Got my bottle filled yesterday and buzzed the header together, so I could start fitting the roof.

The under-visor area is full of weld, but at least it's not bondo. I will continue to smooth this region.

Here's where we're at. Rolling beads into the roof made it super wavy. I have the leading edge tacked to the visor. Not sure how to flatten this. Butt load of clamps? Tack and go? I want the roof to be under good tension so it stays stiff. As long as it follows the frame and generally domes upward, I will be happen. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
7/7/20 8:36 a.m.

Tie string into several guide lines, tack starting in the center and moving out?

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
7/7/20 9:04 a.m.

Pics not working for me?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
7/7/20 9:15 a.m.

Today's photos are not working.....

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
7/7/20 9:22 a.m.

I can see them fine. New image hosting that's blocked on some corporate networks?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/7/20 9:30 a.m.

Pics aren't working for me either. 

7/7/20 9:37 a.m.

I tried using google photos this time. I'll edit the post to upload them manually.

edit: should be fixed now

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
7/7/20 9:38 a.m.

They showed up for me, but now they're gone

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/7/20 9:53 a.m.

Pics work for me. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xqfuEKOQRmUqG1ZN0khmoZMCplCkmxO90SA9TJ9u5CxaLQ60ifH5uCTymsGeBYW6