Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
6/1/21 5:05 a.m.

Wow, that turned out great!

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
6/1/21 7:06 a.m.

This thread makes me proud to be an American. So badass!!!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
6/20/21 3:15 p.m.

I made it as far as the cat exit. Lots of install, measure, mark, uninstall, cut, tack, install, repeat, repeat...

Somehow, after welding in the O2 bungs, the head flanges spread and warped enough to prevent installation. This was incredibly frustrating. Though I have no pictures, the solution involved my giant old Columbian bench vise, a propane torch, 2x 4ft lengths of thick wall tubing, c-clamps, and fixing my workbench to the garage wall with random bits of lumber and screws.

I fired it up, and it already sounds SO much nicer than open headers. I think it runs better too. The cat is definitely still doing its job based on smell. I'm glad I went through all this effort.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
6/20/21 4:56 p.m.

WOW just  WOW!!!!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/20/21 5:01 p.m.

I love it.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/20/21 7:21 p.m.

Oh snap, nicely done!

Rigante
Rigante New Reader
6/21/21 1:04 p.m.

wow so cool

gumby
gumby Dork
6/21/21 1:12 p.m.

I keep clicking on these images, but they don't play. Why don't we have sound clips yet?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/21/21 1:15 p.m.

Awesome... just... Awesome. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
6/21/21 1:57 p.m.

Dude, so rad. Keep up the good work. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/21/21 1:59 p.m.
gumby said:

I keep clicking on these images, but they don't play. Why don't we have sound clips yet?

That reminds me, I'm not sure I ever saw what muffler system was chosen.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/21/21 2:50 p.m.

This truck just keeps evolving! 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
6/21/21 3:38 p.m.

Well done!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
6/27/21 10:55 a.m.

I'm very happy with how this exhaust turned out. It's the perfect sound I had envisioned (enlistened?) for this build. 

I'm going to try for another car show next weekend, this time a little further away. Might have a to buy a battery before then.

Video - Exhaust walk around

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
6/27/21 11:01 a.m.

Dayum! Even acorn nuts. Unsurprisingly awesome.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
6/27/21 11:10 a.m.

So good.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
6/27/21 11:17 a.m.

That. Is. Awesome.  Very nice job.

gumby
gumby Dork
6/27/21 11:18 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

So good.

x2. Nicely done!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/27/21 11:36 a.m.

When do we get a new video to hear this setup? 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/27/21 2:04 p.m.

That sounds killer!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
6/27/21 5:10 p.m.

First burnout achieved. God this is a weird car to drive. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/27/21 5:28 p.m.

Love the sound!

Now that it's driving, just got to dot the t's and cross the i's? Or does it need something major? 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
6/27/21 5:45 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Last major things are gauges/dashboard, interior (carpet headliner door cards trim), and I guess wire the front lights. I may also have to cut reweld the steering rack mounts because it's off center by like an inch. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
7/5/21 12:13 p.m.

I opted not to try out the interstate yet for a car show this weekend. I just don't think it's ready yet for that. After a few warm-up cycles, the header turned a lovely shade of gold. I'm digging it.

I know progress has been slow since I got it driving, so I've made a new punch list, cleaned and organized the garage, and going to try knocking some small things out. I'm itching to start a new project, but I don't want to neglect the finishing details when I'm this close to "complete". I needed an easy win so I installed the rearview mirror. I think I took this from the same junkyard Jeep XJ that gave me the steering column, like 4 years ago. 

It's a solid enough driver to pick up pizza from the local spot though.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
7/19/21 7:29 p.m.

I installed some Trim-Lok weatherstripping around the doors. This simple project scope-crept into door striker adjustment. Without the weatherstripping, the doors shut pretty well, but now that the seal gets compressed, the door won't shut all the way. Of course the screws holding it in place are rusted solid to the body, which I conveniently ignored during body work. 

They were really stuck in there.

I cleaned up the slots and sourced some new carriage bolts for them. Originally the door frame had internal threads, but I had to drill through those. Instead now there are nylocks on the other side of the B-piller, near the seat belts.

Adjustable! Now the door shuts nicely again, with seals this time. 

Yesterday I had some help from GRM'er jfryjfry. The goal of the day? Wire the headlights. Turns out he was the right man for the job, since he has pulled wiring through conduit before. We did the same thing, but inside a hot rod's frame rail instead.

From the passenger side, the headlight wire snakes through the front tube thingy, then turns again down the driver side frame rail all the way under the middle of the cab. Also I'm getting better at open-barrel crimps. 

Weed-eater string helps pull the wires through this short section, and over to the driver's side.

Don't forget, those 6 holes are for LED turn signals. I'm planning to wire and program them to illuminate sequentially, which requires 6 independent hot leads. I researched the appropriate cable for this problem for a long time, and finally settled on outdoor ethernet cable. It has 8 conductors of supposedly adequate gauge for these LED's. A small Arduino board will control the signals. This Fiero forum has good resources on how to DIY sequential signal lights. I'm not quite there yet, but at least I've run the cable already. jfryjfry also had the good idea to leave a piece of string inside the frame rail in case I need to pull anything else through later.

Just need grommets now.

jfryjfry was such a good help, that I didn't even have to crawl on my back all day! By the end of the day, we had the headlight and signal cables run into the cab and wired into the panel. They work!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hZqigVVEZPw94oQvflVo8mTznUMTNtvX0o3HrjtlK1xaB295e5KTKj6GvfpXYeu8