1 2
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/23/20 7:24 a.m.

Your makin good progress. Doing what I would be doing. 

ebelements
ebelements Reader
9/23/20 2:19 p.m.

Two questions, because it may be possible that I'm dense:

1) I had no idea that the auto 924s(and 944s I assume?) had a clutch. Mind blown. 

2) Usually the incorporation of hand controls means a loss of mobility, and from what I'm seeing there's no loss of mobility. You're kicking this car's butt!

Overall it's amazing how you've made such an expensive looking P-car with a budget that's in spitting distance of challenge money. Inspiring to say the least!

vwfreek
vwfreek Reader
9/23/20 10:28 p.m.
ebelements said:

Two questions, because it may be possible that I'm dense:

1) I had no idea that the auto 924s(and 944s I assume?) had a clutch. Mind blown. 

2) Usually the incorporation of hand controls means a loss of mobility, and from what I'm seeing there's no loss of mobility. You're kicking this car's butt!

Overall it's amazing how you've made such an expensive looking P-car with a budget that's in spitting distance of challenge money. Inspiring to say the least!

The auto 924/944 has a big hunk of rubber instead of the clutch disc/pressure plate. The rubber disintegrates over time and a new replacement from Porsche is $1800. The low buck option is to swap in a clutch/flywheel from a manual car. The clutch remains engaged, because there's no throw-out.

I've been disabled for over 20 years, so I've had some practice. It takes a little longer, but planning ahead and trying to visualize the process before jumping in makes it go a little smoother. Probably the biggest project I've tackled is building a VW trike pretty much from the ground up.

Thanks! There's a good sized following for the 924/944, so there's quite a bit of info out there if you know where to look. And sometimes I find something that looks like it might work and take a gamble and hope it does. I've got a few shelves with parts where I took a gamble and it didn't work, but I usually find a home for them on a different project.

vwfreek
vwfreek Reader
9/27/20 5:20 p.m.

Just a small update this weekend. I installed a MOMO steering wheel I had in my stash. It even has a period correct date code. The hub is the same as a mk1 VW, so I had one of those in my stash too. I added an ebay 1" spacer, so the spacing is similar to the stock steering wheel. The bolts that came with the spacer are a little to shiny, so I'll probably replace them or try painting them black.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uujWN52PGS8goOwh574UTgLbBXotapGYrAF2F1whyshbrYFxSfxJ3E8eOWmrKAts