Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/18/19 1:14 p.m.

Add a fubar pitman arm to the list. Cant get it to budge in any normal manner. 

Parts are on the ups truck to be delivered. 

Should probably check the ball joints, but the spindles seem to turn freely with the truck at droop.

So, pull it apart, and fiddle with the studs and guess, or send it?

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
4/18/19 1:16 p.m.

Full send 24/7 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
4/18/19 2:09 p.m.

See the source image

Dusterbd13-michael
4/18/19 5:52 p.m.

Everything in the steering system now is new except the column the ball joints and the power steering pump. Let's see what happens.

Dusterbd13-michael
4/18/19 6:43 p.m.

The tank slappers are gone. Very little play in the steering wheel now. Still doesn't quite return the whole way to Center and requires small movements and constant attention. But not nearly as scary as it was. I honestly can't tell if I'm spooked and the truck is actually fine or if there's still something going on. Going to walk away from it for a couple of days and then doing nothing bolt check re Grease the front end and drive it some more.

Dusterbd13-michael
4/23/19 8:58 a.m.

Truck still broke. Thread in main forum. 

Hiwever, it was so filthy it was pissing me off. So its been scrubbed, clay bar-ed, and is now getting polish and wax. The upside is that it will make greasy fingerprints easier to remove. 

solfly
solfly HalfDork
4/24/19 2:41 p.m.

what does your caster look like?

Dusterbd13-michael
4/24/19 2:56 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

Stock specs. +3.5 +/-1.0

Front half done! All thats left is the bed, and painting the cowl and wiper arms finally. And reattaching the tonneau cover. 

has more shine than 26s in the hood!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/24/19 6:19 p.m.

Put on the new bowtie

Dusterbd13-michael
4/24/19 7:10 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

As soon as i can safely drive it again. Its the "finishing touch " of detail/repair 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
4/24/19 8:38 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

more shine than 26s in the hood!

What does this mean?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/24/19 9:04 p.m.
Crackers said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

more shine than 26s in the hood!

What does this mean?

These are a sample of shiny 26“ wheels which tend to be more popular in some neighbor(hoods) than others. 

Ya cracker (quite literally) 

Dusterbd13-michael
4/24/19 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Crackers :

Where i live, satin paint and GINORMOUS chrome wheels are the status symbol of the projects. That is actually where i spend most of my work time. We regularly get blinded by the sun from those wheels.

My truck is ALMOST that shiny after all the efforts put into the paint. If i was willing to wetsand and buff the whole truck  i think i could give them a run for their money.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
4/24/19 9:07 p.m.

Ooh... Are re71r's available for those? 

Dusterbd13-michael
4/24/19 9:11 p.m.

In reply to Crackers :

The compound may be an improvement, but i doubt sidewalls could get any stiffer and still be mountable.

As a side note: the runflats didn't really affect the ride quality like i expected. I assumed they would feel like a 10 ply truck tire. But tjey don't!

Crackers
Crackers Dork
4/24/19 9:32 p.m.

I wonder if 26's are available for my Datsun. I can be the first to Rally-X on that combo. LOL

Dusterbd13-michael
5/1/19 10:15 a.m.

I replaced the steering box again, installed new moog lower ball joints, replaced the power steering pump, and regreased everything.  It is far less evil. Steering wheel returns now for the most part and it drives like a normal vehicle with a bad alignment. I am calling it a major freaking win. Still need to get it aligned again and I think adding some Caster will make a world of improvement in steering feel and high-speed stability.

What alignment specs should i shoot for? All the positive caster, around 1 degree negative camber, and 1/16 toe in?

Its now time to finish detailing it, install the tonneau and tailgate liner, and put the new grille emblem on.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/1/19 10:37 a.m.

What a clusterberkeley of every steering part being E36 M3 all at the same time

Dusterbd13-michael
5/1/19 10:42 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

The only 4 parts that survived the repair are the upper ball joints and inner tie rod ends. Everything else is in the scrap metal pile.

The statement of clusterberkeley is an understatement .

Crackers
Crackers Dork
5/1/19 10:45 a.m.

Hopefully this is over with! I think I'm officially scared off the cheap stuff...

Dusterbd13-michael
5/1/19 10:48 a.m.

In reply to Crackers :

I sure am!!!

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
5/1/19 3:37 p.m.

Excited to see you get to enjoy this again

Dusterbd13-michael
5/2/19 6:49 a.m.

Went to use my buffer this morning to finish up the bed. Got about halfway through and it caught fire in my hands. Going to be a berkeleying awesome day.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/2/19 7:31 a.m.

Get the harbor freight porter cable knockoff, it’s really nice 

Dusterbd13-michael
5/2/19 7:34 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Yes it was! I'll buy another one because for as often as I use it it'll last me another 8 years

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LnjQ4eqwep5peGXZAICvkqHp1O8aUo1amcLY91XNGBeoxUxWVcuKAZbzdNdJaz5u