Oh and I'm in Savannah

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/16/18 6:52 p.m.

South Carolina welcome center for piss and stretch 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/16/18 7:07 p.m.

Just checked all the fluids and not a bit of a loss. I like this truck. If Jeremy is still reading this this late at night thank you!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/16/18 8:31 p.m.

I just checked in on ya.  Go dog go!

Yeah, those mirrors are really small but they are part of the trucks unique Sport package. Just look how small they are compared to the Chevy Colorado also in photo above. 

What kind of goodies did you bring home with you? That truck bed is near full.

untchabl
untchabl New Reader
2/16/18 8:32 p.m.

So what was the CL deal you picked up in the hood?

Maybe look into some stock mirrors off a GMT400 Tahoe/Suburban. Bigger than the Sport mirrors but not too big. Pretty cheap on Amazon/eBay.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/16/18 8:44 p.m.

John and john: 

I need to go back and look and see what mirrors I used on my last full size because they were the right size. I think they were off amid 90 Suburban. The Craigslist score / what's in the bed of the truck is 10 high ceiling T8 parabolic light fixtures 2 4 foot T8 2 bulb fixtures a metric berkeleyton of bulbs a spare tire a couple of sway bars Tools & spares. In the cab is my work gear a change of clothes some more light bulbs my lunch box some Diet Mountain Dew and cigarettes. The Stepside really isn't that big but it seems to be big enough so far. The salmon-colored plasti dips got to go though. Oh and I'm just outside of Orangeburg South Carolina at a rest stop stretching and pissing

Stampie
Stampie UltraDork
2/16/18 9:19 p.m.
untchabl said:

So what was the CL deal you picked up in the hood?

Since he's not telling the story I will.  He finds these lights on CL and showed me the ad. I saw where the CL map was and said ok that's a good part of town.  He leads us and he's going no where near the CL map. He turns off the highway into a very sketchy area. Like when I first moved to Jax I slept with the wrong girl and had to go to the free clinic on this same road sketchy. I felt a little better when he pulled up to a business with a gate.  Then he said oh we need to follow this guy in the pickup.  Guy drives away from the business and then he turns on a side road and stops.  All I'm thinking about is this area is blocks from one of the three worse areas in Jax.  Like all the apartments in the area have their utilities and ac units mounted high enough that you need a ladder to work/steal them.  Guy ends up being cool and we go to lunch at this local grease pit I know down past the free clinic. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
2/16/18 9:21 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

How far from home?  The Detroit chapter of your fan club is following along.  ;-)

a_florida_man
a_florida_man New Reader
2/16/18 9:21 p.m.

Really happy to see all is well so far.

Those are basically very tough trucks.

If it always seems damp in the cab, or if you have water in the floor board behind the carpet or in the headliner, the windshields are famous for separating at the top corners. Some times they separate from the window frame at the urethane, sometimes the bonded windshield rubber lets go from the windshield, but usually it's both lol.

The leaks are almost always in the top corner, and then it either goes along the top trim next to the headliner above the door, or it runs down the inside of the a pillar to the firewall / cowl.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/16/18 9:58 p.m.

Just stopped for gas in Florence South Carolina. 99 miles from home. Would 15.3 gallons in the truck ran the fuel economy and if the speedometer and odometer are right knockdown 18 miles to the gallon. Should be home about 1 AM. Been checking fluids every stop and so far near as I can tell Heaven leaked or used a drop of it anything. Exhaust has gotten a bit louder on the way home though. Damn I like this truck. Did find out the windshield washers don't work so I clean the windshield while I was here.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/16/18 9:59 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

If I had known it was that bad a part of town of window left my gun in the holster. Thanks again for going with me and for incredibly berkeleying fantastic Seafood. That may have been the best meal I've had since the last time I was in Florida and got a seafood recommendation.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/16/18 10:02 p.m.

Random question what are the buttons on the sides of the seats supposed to do? At least when the driver side it doesn't do anything

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
2/16/18 11:39 p.m.

Pretty sure they're for inflatable lumbar support.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
2/17/18 12:07 a.m.

What about something like Dupli-Color's "bronze" wheel paint instead of black?  This is speaking to me, out of nowhere, and I wanted to share the idea now before I forgot about it.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/17/18 12:15 a.m.

My new truck and i are home.

Time for bed. 

solfly
solfly HalfDork
2/17/18 6:21 a.m.

Ok. Some notes.

Temp gauges notoriously read low. Hook up to OBD port and read what it actually is.

Buttons on the non power seat are for inflatable lumbar.

I may have mirrors.

These trucks are great.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
2/17/18 6:23 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Just fillec up. 20.3 gallons. 300 miles to go.

Needs chassis work. And the headlight suck. But its comfortable, ac is cold, stero is good, and has cruise

Look at the "4 hi" mod for the headlights.

untchabl
untchabl New Reader
2/17/18 6:24 a.m.

Glad you made it home safely. 

solfly
solfly HalfDork
2/17/18 6:25 a.m.
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/17/18 7:44 a.m.

Ok. Lumbar didn't work at all. I'll have to lool at that, as that would be nice. 

4hi will happen. Probably along with glass lenses and new housings.

I unfortunately got rid of all my obd1 gm stuff at the challenge this past year.  Ill need to dig up a aldl cable and reinstall tunerpro, or find a cheap dedicatedscanner.

But, step at a time. First step is the spooky brake pedals and steering. Gonna go put it on dads lift after i get unloaded. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/17/18 8:03 a.m.

I think i have an old aldl cable, but i think they make usb ones now

solfly
solfly HalfDork
2/17/18 8:15 a.m.

A $10 Bluetooth obd reader and the torque app will get you started 

solfly
solfly HalfDork
2/17/18 8:17 a.m.

Also I got some cheap housings from amazon and those plus good bulbs and 4hi have worked wonders.

Remember you need different signals and reflectors for the gmc grille

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/17/18 8:33 a.m.
solfly said:

A $10 Bluetooth obd reader and the torque app will get you started 

This truck is obd1 so the $3 readers don’t work.  The only one I found is $75.  Is there a cheaper one?  The usb aldl cables are $30

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AlJuVD4FS0k2w3aT855oPN9YI92gOn92uWOAtMATIyeLiyaTqels20REOH8Luu0X