3 4 5 6 7
iansane
iansane HalfDork
12/14/21 12:56 p.m.
ejs262 said:

I saw your username, and I couldn't help but think it sounded familiar from the days when I was on TGO every night, clicked the thread and was not let down! nice projects, glad to see you're still at it! I lived over in Bremerton for a few years, and had a buddy in Bonney lake who I used to work on Fieros with all the time, I'm over on the east coast now though. 

Oh snap, from Bremerton? Were you out at one of the bases? Man, I remember being like 15 years old posting on TGO back in the day! I admit I haven't kept up mod'ing the trans am as much as I would have liked but it's still a blast to drive. I don't think I posted in this thread about the deer story which is always a classic.

ejs262
ejs262 New Reader
12/22/21 5:35 a.m.
iansane said:
ejs262 said:

I saw your username, and I couldn't help but think it sounded familiar from the days when I was on TGO every night, clicked the thread and was not let down! nice projects, glad to see you're still at it! I lived over in Bremerton for a few years, and had a buddy in Bonney lake who I used to work on Fieros with all the time, I'm over on the east coast now though. 

Oh snap, from Bremerton? Were you out at one of the bases? Man, I remember being like 15 years old posting on TGO back in the day! I admit I haven't kept up mod'ing the trans am as much as I would have liked but it's still a blast to drive. I don't think I posted in this thread about the deer story which is always a classic.

I was there for Navy duty before I got out. TGO used to be awesome(might still be, don't know), the fabrication section used to be my home.   I always like the look of your car, I really want to get a Firebird and put a R07 Nascar V8 in it and do all sorts of other stuff. 

iansane
iansane Dork
3/11/22 2:37 p.m.

Baby update.

I mean, I've done a lot but I didn't catalog a lot of it.

Firstly, got a bonus at work so the girlfriend wanted new carpet in the bedroom/stairs to the bedroom. I was trying for darker but this was as dark as they had. Seems like good work so far but the guys didn't communicate very well and left the stairs uncarpeted over the weekend. Tack strips and dogs don't mix.

I had a guy on another forum wrap the stock wood trim of my s4 in carbon. Looks really nice. Fit is okay but it was less than half the cost of the factory stuff so I'm not upset. Still haven't gotten it all installed yet. I have black door handles to replace the chrome ones to put in at the same time. 

I've been working on an engine swap for a buddy's dad. I can't remember if he's the original owner or second owner of an e30. It's originally an autotragic 325e so unbearably slow. I'm resealing and dropping the m50/g260 combo from my LSe30 into it. Pretty plug and play but he's a "replace everything with new oem while you're there" so I'm waiting on some things.

I was working for a little bit on making a DIY electric parking brake module from an arduino and relay setup (I made another thread specificly about that thing). But agian, I'm currently waiting on parts. I drew up a pcb that will plug into the arduino that has on it all the relays, power conditioning and CAN connection. After a few iterations my test unit worked. It's crazy how exciting it is to actuate a parking brake that hasn't worked for over a year.

Speaking of waiting on parts. I get bored easily and have to work on things. Welp, that combined with a pending purchase meant I need to make room in the shop. So I've got to get rid of the '63 impala that's been sitting around waiting for me to do floorpans. I wasn't 100% confident doing this when I dug in and realized I had to rebuild the rockers from scratch since new sheetmetal was all backordered but I dove in and it's not that bad, just time consuming.

That's basically caught up aside from the minutiae. 

Oh, I rescued a dog. She's a red siberian husky from the Humane Society. She's a little over a year old and was recovered from a puppy mill out in the boonies with two dozen or so other dogs. She's still a little skittish and getting familiar with how to properly behave but she's a great pupper. Her name is Butter.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/11/22 4:49 p.m.

This thread rules. 

iansane
iansane Dork
3/11/22 5:13 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

This thread rules. 

Thanks!

AutomotiveADD and little bit of disposable income and you could have all this too! (not too much income, because then you might get something done. Wouldn't want that.)

rdcyclist
rdcyclist Reader
3/11/22 5:54 p.m.
iansane said:

AutomotiveADD and little bit of disposable income and you could have all this too! (not too much income, because then you might get something done. Wouldn't want that.)

Zackly. Too much and you might start payin' someone else to have all the fun...

Honda_newb
Honda_newb New Reader
3/14/22 4:13 p.m.

This thread has it all cars dogs and questionable financial decisions I love it!

ian sane
ian sane Dork
3/21/22 4:44 p.m.

Finished up the floorpans in the impala after taking a few days off last week.

Now I need to shuffle. I have the volvoe30 at my mother's house on a trailer. I need to bring it over to my house, move some cars around so I can park it in the corner not blocking anything. Then heft the impala back on the trailer and tow it to my buddies house (the owner). Hopefully so I never see it again.

ian sane
ian sane Dork
3/22/22 11:11 a.m.

I think the car gods know when I'm done with projects and spite me. I hopped in the s4 to go get dog food last night and was nasally assaulted with an unmistakable scent. Coolant. Felt around underneath the driver's side floor mat and was depressingly unsurprised when my fingers came back damp. Heater core. Crap.

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
3/22/22 11:21 a.m.

Heater core. Two of the most dreaded words in the automotive world. Never have I worked on one that wasn't a royal pain in the ass to replace. Good luck with that, man. I'm sorry for your loss. 

ian sane
ian sane Dork
3/22/22 12:07 p.m.

In reply to JeremyJ :

Seriously. It's like auto manufacturers contract a company to make them a heater core and then design entire cars around them.

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
3/22/22 12:28 p.m.

On my 1984 500SE, the whole HVAC box needs to come out, after you take the entire dash out, to swap the heater core. Glad I did it premptively a few years back when the evap core for the AC had a hole in it.

ian sane
ian sane Dork
4/4/22 2:34 p.m.

Well, good bye impala! (side note, it's for sale. Anyone want it?)

Crap. Hello BMW.

I really, really don't need another project right now but it was so ridiculously cheap. $1000. Runs and drives. Owner said it overheated going over a small pass nearby. I don't know what overheated means but there was no coolant residue in the engine bay and I idled it for a half hour while messing around loading it on the trailer and had no issues. I'm thinking air pocket but I'll drive it to work (60mile round trip) for awhile, clean it up and hopefully get rid of it SOON. It's a wagon, which is cool. But autotragic, which is not. And I don't have any room for it since I also just brought the Ve30 to my house finally.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/4/22 2:37 p.m.

Id love that impala. Thank God you're on the other side of the country. I have no time, money or space for another project. 

birdmayne
birdmayne Reader
4/4/22 3:12 p.m.

Lol. And here you thought you were making more room...

I still have a bay open if needed ;)

ian sane
ian sane Dork
4/4/22 3:42 p.m.

I, uh, have a problem. I already have a potential buyer so it may be gone by the time...awesomeness... shows up.

iansane
iansane Dork
7/1/22 11:12 a.m.

My buddy made me a sign.

It's big.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/1/22 12:08 p.m.

Very nice!

iansane
iansane Dork
8/15/22 3:51 p.m.

So the owner of this one is fully capable of internet-ing and I've been trying to keep it kind of under wraps so he can have a "reveal" moment but I couldn't NOT share a stock 350z cooling module (radiator, a/c condenser, dual electric fan and shroud) fitting snugly between the frame rails of an ra65 celica. Well... with a bit of massaging.

iansane
iansane Dork
11/9/22 12:35 p.m.

It's mine! 

Picked it up from the port last Friday. Registered it yesterday. It's fun! Slow as all hell, but fun!

9k car

1.8k shipping

$800 customs/port fees

$1.3k registration

Already bought new headlights/foglights, painted front lip and painted 'is' sideskirts to go on.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
11/9/22 1:58 p.m.

Rad! looking forward to hearing about your experience with it.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/9/22 2:42 p.m.

Niceee! 

obsolete
obsolete HalfDork
11/9/22 2:58 p.m.

Ooh, awesome!

iansane
iansane Dork
11/9/22 3:25 p.m.

The doors are smaller on this than my 2dr cars and I keep pushing the b-pillar with my elbow when I try to open the door. Also, I may have broken an exhaust hanger. Little rattle/clunking when the engine is loaded up.

nsogiba
nsogiba New Reader
11/10/22 8:40 a.m.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
36BqixiJnuRyZERM6bBJ3ewqV97LBtaFpMxaQnJNCY7ZiBGuKUBohyJMx72Q08bA