mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/24/19 4:31 p.m.

Fun fact, I bought my vinyl cutter five years ago to cut these same stickers for the Cadillac. Down about 400hp from 2015.

zoomer69
zoomer69
3/25/19 9:08 p.m.

I'm watching this thread for ideas for my 2012 Accord. I'm in Wisconsin and my Accord is my daily (and only) vehicle, so I'm not liable to go quite as nuts. But I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade as parts need replacing. Your posts are really helpful. Thanks for sharing!

mazdeuce - Seth
3/26/19 7:21 p.m.

These guys came today, the last thing I needed to keep the bumper on without any screws. We used them on the One Lap Civic and they worked well.

They are to keep the corners in and are installed like so. 

And all snapped together.  

Off with the cowl to move the washer tube from the passenger side to the drivers side. All tested and works, just need to mount the bottle and extend the wires from the old location

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/26/19 7:38 p.m.

Cool! What are those things called?

mazdeuce - Seth
3/26/19 8:11 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

I think the company that made them popular is Quik Latch. If you search quick latch or push button hood pin on Amazon you can find a bunch of knock offs. I'm not convinced I'd use them as hood pins. 

Crackers
Crackers Dork
3/26/19 8:43 p.m.

Sounds like your brake cooling issues may be over, but if you decide you need more I know a guy that can weld a duct directly onto your heat shields that would fit your fancy hoses. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/27/19 8:27 a.m.
Crackers said:

Sounds like your brake cooling issues may be over, but if you decide you need more I know a guy that can weld a duct directly onto your heat shields that would fit your fancy hoses. 

There isn't a reasonable way to vent into the heat shields (and they're gone) because the brakes are in front of the axles and there isn't a heat shield at all in that area. Interestingly enough, Fastbrakes who made the brake kit I'm using makes a kit for racing Civics in STL that has an oval port for brake ducting. I don't think I'm going to mess with it now, but I'll likely bother them later to see if I can get another set of adapters made that utilize those same ducting holes. I'll probably still need to make my carbon duct things, but instead of the turn blowing air right onto the brakes I'll attach a second piece of hose that goes to the bracket. In theory anyway. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/27/19 1:42 p.m.

Dragged the tools out to the dirt to make a battery tray today. It's about the best weather we're going to have all year and it was nice. 

The battery is so light that you really could zip tie it down and not worry about it. However, it's hard to make tech people agree with that idea. This makes the battery rock solid which will make tech happy which will make life easier. 

A little light bondage work on the new washer bottle has it in place. I can't quite decide how I want to make a bracket so this will do until my brain figures it out. Works like stock which was the plan. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/28/19 1:39 p.m.

The Accord is technically a mid size car. Three of us plus gear for One Lap is going to make it feel like a very small mid size car. One thing we discussed was getting rid of half of the back seat. Turns out the split rear seat unbolts half at a time. Convenient.

If I can find a seat bottom in the junk yard that doesn't look like a hobo died on it I'll grab it and cut it down to save more room. The rear seats are amazingly light. 11.5 lbs for the small side. 

Pulled the second rear speaker while I was hanging out back there. 

And installed the tow strap that came today. This is looped around the factory tow point in front. Nice and strong. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
3/28/19 2:45 p.m.

just because I'm a particular kind of person...

does it look like you could mount the "small" seat in place of the big one, behind the driver?

mazdeuce - Seth
3/28/19 4:47 p.m.

The seats are asymmetrical in about every way they could be. 

badwaytolive
badwaytolive Reader
3/29/19 1:57 p.m.

Nice work on the battery tray-

Can you post a link to the battery you ordered? Looks like they come in a lot of different sizes, but maybe are the same Lithium-Ion core?

Were those screw terminals extra?

I'm like 99% sure I want to try this on the Saabmarine. I'm being hustled into a COTA track weekend in May, and this seems like low-hanging fruit, especially since I'll be able to trailer the car this one time...

Thanks!

damen

mazdeuce - Seth
3/29/19 3:16 p.m.

Thanks! This is the battery I ordered. The terminals were from an old dead Odyssey from a Miata and are almost certainly these. I would probably order these if I were to do it from scratch. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/31/19 7:34 a.m.

As One Lap approaches my ability to sleep is getting interrupted by small things. What do I need to do? What have I missed. 

Last year I had a little off track excursion in the Civic. While I was waiting for the safety crew one of the things running through my head was that we didn't have good/marked tow points on the car. I was able to drive off, but that stuck with me. The new front tow point on the car is obvious, so I'm cool there, and in the rear the car comes with a nice solid tow/tie down loop on the chassis. The problem is that it's pretty much hidden under the bumper. To make it easier to find I made a TOW decal and wrapped the loop in red vinyl. Hopefully this won't be needed. 

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
3/31/19 11:37 a.m.

Thanks for the battery link, and nice tip on the fender lines dzuz fasteners!

I'm curious how the max 20A charge rating works in a car. If the battery was a little run down, I'm sure the alternator could exceed that?

Good luck on OneLap!

therealpinto
therealpinto Reader
4/1/19 3:10 a.m.

We have been using a somewhat similar LiFePO4 battery in our endurance racer, the Nissan Primera P10 (Infiniti G20).

So far, we have been quite careful to try and keep the battery topped up with the special LiFePO4 charger, to avoid the alternator trying to kill it with too much charge currect. It has worked for at least 3 seasons of racing in the sense that the battery has not died, and has not burst into flames. I heard others trying to jump start cars with discharged lithium have not been so lucky.

Some issues though, our battery has quite a sensitive built-in protection circuit, to prevent over-discharge. It will turn off the battery if you for example leave the car with lights on for a while (engine off). Having the switch on the battery accessible is nice and I am even contemplating a way to add an external switch that can be mounted within driver reach. Having the car stall and battery shut off when strapped into the seat is a bummer!

I also had a friend try the battery type in another car, and there it would also shut off when the engine was running. I suspect the alternator put out too low of a voltage in that one. Our car has never done that (touch wood).

Gustaf

mazdeuce - Seth
4/1/19 5:37 a.m.

In reply to therealpinto :

I'm not going to lie and say that I have no worries. My biggest concern is running it flat and killing it. A close second is running it down a bit and then over charging it. I saw the batteries with auto-cutoff and the looked cool, but this is GRM and they were more expensive. 

In reply to Run_Away :

My assumption is that a stock alternator is capable of exceeding that. I'm also hoping that for some reason it doesn't. I am VERY careful to make sure electrical loads are shut off and I suspect that the car not having a real radio helps with any parasitic drain. 

MoCounselor
MoCounselor New Reader
4/1/19 7:11 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

That would be really nice man.  If you are ever going to be in the NW Arkansas/SW Missouri/NE Oklahoma area with it, let me know!

-Ben

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
4/1/19 7:51 a.m.

In reply to MoCounselor :

Looks like you are in Springfield Ben. Have you made it out to Neosho for any autocross events yet? I know it's not as glamorous as HPDE or TT, but it's still plenty of fun. The SCCA moved the last three events from Neosho to Springfield now, so they are even closer to you at least part of the year. There are three clubs right now that run out there, so usually there are at least 3 events a month with a couple Sat/Sun thrown in there too.

MoCounselor
MoCounselor New Reader
4/1/19 7:34 p.m.
captainawesome said:

Looks like you are in Springfield Ben. Have you made it out to Neosho for any autocross events yet? I know it's not as glamorous as HPDE or TT, but it's still plenty of fun. The SCCA moved the last three events from Neosho to Springfield now, so they are even closer to you at least part of the year. There are three clubs right now that run out there, so usually there are at least 3 events a month with a couple Sat/Sun thrown in there too.

I've been down to a couple to watch, but it's been a few years.  I don't really have a car right now to autocross, (2011 Tdi Jetta Sportwagen DSG,) but it's on my to-do once I get a suitable car.

I used to be really active in the OMR region, but that has been almost 15 years ago....

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
4/1/19 9:19 p.m.

I think you have two cars that could be fun to autocross. Maybe not competitive, but fun.

therealpinto
therealpinto Reader
4/2/19 3:12 a.m.

I thought all of the lihtium batteries for "vehicles" had auto shutdown, maybe I am wrong. Does yours not have a switch, under the mounting brace? Maybe just a status indicator...

The one(s) we use are cheap, just under 100 USD from the parts store (a mix between Home Depot and Pep Boys sort of).

Gustaf

mazdeuce - Seth
4/2/19 5:37 a.m.

In reply to therealpinto :

It has a status indicator but no switch. That I'm aware of anyway. This is very much an "off label" use for this as it's intended as a powersports battery, not a car battery. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/3/19 2:31 p.m.

When did I ruin the car? When did that start? Yesterday. That's when I figured out that I had some water under the carpet. And I pulled it up. And looked at it. It's very nice with a bunch of foam backing, good stuff. 

But it also weighs 26.5 lbs, and that just can't happen. New carpet incoming. We'll see how much I save.

BLRB
BLRB New Reader
4/4/19 7:01 a.m.

Hondas are very good at letting water inside their cabins.  There was a TSB for a roof seam leak for the 03-04 accords.  Also, there are about 2-3 other known leak spots through the door cards or seals.  Good luck with your carpet project.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k6NoslKV6VUp0gdsevGqrLyUxWL2TECfJQvZl4XVzBdmEZUmhj0YjpXvR0JUSDH9