mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/4/19 7:28 a.m.

I hosed it all down and can't find anything, but there is evidence that there might be leaks from the doors into the cabin. Going to work on it. Your experiences have been helpful. I pulled up your thread yesterday. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/4/19 1:50 p.m.

I love taking apart a car that has recently been apart. Nothing is stuck. So nice. 

Old bushing and new bushing.

Old one isn't bad, but it's starting to crack and the front certianly wanders under load. The plan was sphericals. That has fallen through for the moment. Backup plan was Hardrace. Those appear to be out of stock everywhere. Backup backup plan was the 04-06 TL bushing which is supposed to be the stiffest of the factory options. That's what is going in. And again, I love my shop press so very much. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/6/19 8:48 a.m.

Still love my press. Everyone needs one of these. Once I got the pieces figured out pressing was easy peasy. With the lift and the press I could do these bushings in about half an hour a side. I should buy more Accords. 

And for future reference, this is the Honda part number that I used. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/6/19 10:09 a.m.

Cleaned the garage today and remembered that I had my sample pack from these guys. Great guys by the by. 

Start with a cap, drill one big hole for the duckbill part of the valve, and two smaller ones for the umbrella part. 

Pop it in like so. 

Put it on the firmly mounted washer tank and we're good. I ran a full bottle of water though the system and it lets air in fast enough that the bottle doesn't collapse. Filled it back up with washer fluid and we'll see how it goes long term. I just need to come up with a more elegant mount. 

Racecar size washer reservoir is a success!

yamaha225
yamaha225 None
4/6/19 7:03 p.m.

I'm very new to the forum, but very familiar with 7th gen accords. I've read through your entire thread and really enjoyed watching you build the car. I have two 7.5 gen accords. Both 2006's and both sedans. One is my toy and is a V6 6 speed. I'm just starting to mod it a bit in hopes of getting into some motorsports with it. The second is a 4 cyl 5 speed with 270,000 on the clock that's my daily and winter beater. They're fantastic cars, anyways I've been meaning to sign up here for a while and wanted to let you know how much I've enjoyed the thread. Did you ever get that aluminum hood from the hybrid installed?

mazdeuce - Seth
4/6/19 7:56 p.m.

In reply to yamaha225 :

I didn't. We were looking at it today trying to figure out why it doesn't quite fit and whether it will fit on the proper year sedan or whether it's a Hybrid only thing. I know the hinges for the aluminum hood are unique (I didn't grab them when I got the hood), but I've kind of run out of ideas. I'd like it to end up on a car even if it's not mine, it's very light. 

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. These cars are much better than people give them credit for. 

yamaha225
yamaha225 New Reader
4/8/19 5:11 a.m.

I haven't really looked at many coupes from this generation but I have to imagine that there's a difference between the coupe and sedan hood. It seems unlikely that the hybrids had different sized body panels than the other sedans. If you do decide to get rid of it I'd be very interested. I have a nice 6-6 sedan it could go on.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/8/19 5:27 a.m.

Re: Hybrid hood. 

The Hybrid Accord of that era was manufactured in Japan while the standard Accord was assembled in the US/Ohio. 

There may be some body differences. Even Wiki hints at body differences. In the listing of dimensions on wiki, the Hybrid is noted to be slightly narrower and slightly taller. 

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
4/8/19 9:34 a.m.
John Welsh said:

The Hybrid Accord of that era was manufactured in Japan while the standard Accord was assembled in the US/Ohio. 

I wasn't sure, but this is exactly what I said to Mazdeuce as we were talking about it on Saturday. I assumed the hybrids were overseas built because of the batteries.. 

yamaha225
yamaha225 New Reader
4/8/19 11:22 a.m.

I just did some reading and confirmed that the coupe hood is in fact longer than the sedan. Does the hybrid one have other differences than that compared to the one on your coupe? I can measure the hood on one of my sedans and post up to compare. 

yamaha225
yamaha225 New Reader
4/8/19 11:28 a.m.

I did also just confirm that the hybrid hood is made in Japan and the regular steel sedan one is of US origin. The part numbers are:

Hybrid: 60100-SDR-A90ZZ

Regular Sedan: 60100-SDB-A90ZZ

Coupe: 60100-SDP-A90ZZ

mazdeuce - Seth
4/8/19 12:06 p.m.
yamaha225 said:

I just did some reading and confirmed that the coupe hood is in fact longer than the sedan. Does the hybrid one have other differences than that compared to the one on your coupe? I can measure the hood on one of my sedans and post up to compare. 

It almost fits, just shorter. I'd expect them to have differnt parts numbers for the Hybrid hood with it beign aluminum and needing different hinges and all. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/10/19 1:21 p.m.

Sort of moving on to detail stuff for the OLOA week. 

We're going to be space challenged in the car. We know that. I headed to the junk yard today and picked up a leather seat bottom and a seat belt clicker from a Ford Fiesta. The belt clicker is for Spacecadet so that he can use his nifty harness on the autocross. 

The leather seat bottom weighs 11 lbs. 

A dremel, bread knife, scissors, normal car tools. 

Now it weighs 5.5 lbs. Of course the leather is heavier than the cloth bottom which only weighs 9.5 lbs, but still a savings of 3.5 lbs. 

And the seat back weighs 11.5 lbs, so we're taking 15 lbs out of the car. There are also two seatbelt reels and anchors and stuff, so a bit more than that when I get around to pulling all of it. Of course, after the event it all needs to go back in because I still use this to haul kids to school. A nice side effect of the leather is it's much easier to slide in and out of the back seat. It's a very comfortable place back there. 

Mostly though, we're creating this space. It's not big enough to hold all three hotel bags as well as the usual cabin overflow stuff. No need to open the trunk when we get to the hotel, just grab the bags out of the back seat and head in. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
4/10/19 1:33 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

You probably want to gaffer tape over the bare “seat cushion front retention clip” so we don’t loose the clip/spring

mazdeuce - Seth
4/10/19 1:35 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

What I really want is for someone to tell me that the big metal brace that it's in is totally unnecessary so I can unbolt it and save a couple more pounds. laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
4/10/19 1:43 p.m.

What color is the new carpet? Rad. 

Also, it weights 7.5 lbs vs. the 26.5 lbs of the stock carpet. Superlegarra. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
4/10/19 1:51 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to sleepyhead :

What I really want is for someone to tell me that the big metal brace that it's in is totally unnecessary so I can unbolt it and save a couple more pounds. laugh

I’ll have a better idea after you remove the rear pax interior panel... we don’t need that cup holder anyhow wink

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
4/10/19 2:51 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

What color is the new carpet? Rad. 

Also, it weights 7.5 lbs vs. the 26.5 lbs of the stock carpet. Superlegarra. 

Wow... that is hilarious and awesome... we are going to be so baller when the shifter arrives... 

QuicktrickGil
QuicktrickGil None
4/10/19 4:35 p.m.

So much info to go back in forth on from my V6 model that I've been taking to the track for the past year now. I've commented on your guys' FB page a couple times, but it seems you're much more active here. I was informed of this thread a while ago, but just spent a solid two hours catching up on the very same things I'm attempting to address now.

I too ordered the Skunk2 arms, and had a hell of a time with them this past weekend at Mid Ohio. Loctite is a must. (Had to replace a couple since I'm an idiot and didn't do that the first time around.) I can't recall if you replaced the bolts for the ball joints, but I would do that as well. Those will strip if you're even slightly at an angle trying to tighten or loosen the bolts provided. Fair warning as well, beware of the curbs. Not that it was a lengthy fix. Taking T11 (Full course) a bit too early sent me into a large rut before the curbing starts. The skunk2 arm took the hit and, immediately maxxed the camber out on the driver side.  The picture is from this past weekend with GridLife. 

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
4/10/19 4:41 p.m.

In reply to QuicktrickGil :

Myself, Mazdeuce and sleepyhead were all talking about your car as we followed mid ohio over the weekend. 

I know a bunch of, if not most/all of the motorsports Gridlife guys. 

I run our "One lap Accord" Facebook page and I've not gotten any messages in the past 2 months so I'm not sure how you're sending them to us.. 

Edit: found your comments 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/10/19 7:40 p.m.

In reply to QuicktrickGil :

So glad you found us here and that made us connect on FB. As a properly old dude my social media presence is quite lame. I have been following your car though, looking forward to what actual power might feel like someday. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/10/19 7:42 p.m.

A bunch to type out but I'm tired. Carpet is going to be so cool I can hardly stand it. 

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
4/10/19 8:25 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

dammit that is so awesome.. 

mazdeuce - Seth
4/11/19 5:57 a.m.

If all of this seems slightly absurd and very "17 year old playing with a hand me down Accord", it feels like that too. Bunch of work, bunch of money, still a 160hp Accord. Still slow. 
There is a long term plan at play here with a weird number of things being pushed forward due to One Lap this year. With that, a bunch of stuff isn't going back in. 
The armrest and brackets weigh 8 lbs. 

The plastic tubes that carry heat to the rear seat passengers are nearly a pound each. 

The dead pedal weighs a pound. 

So I'm just going through the car looking at each and every thing and deciding if it needs to be there. My Mazda2 had a dead pedal, but it wasn't metal, it was a foam block. My Fit doesn't have an armrest/console. Plenty of older cars have a shift boot up against carpet on the floor. 
To be clear, I'm not adding up weights here. What I take out isn't nearly as important as how much the car weighs. I still need a set of scales. 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
4/11/19 7:23 a.m.

Every time I see you pull another 10-15lbs out of the car I start mentally adding up how much total weight must've been pulled by now.

I think I need to go back through my car with a finer tooth comb and re-visit what I actually need.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VjBgM9pMoDSW5d1POe0iMJSkjGUMa8Lh4iy5p7SfTh0b7FHsR2wLxAvQsQzfr08k