1 2
surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/27/19 7:44 p.m.

Well after a huge lessons learned list from this year, seeing every ones cars, meeting a ton of awesome people, and absorbing a ton of information, I already know which direction i will be going for the 2020 challenge. I had already been in talks with someone for a car i was originally planning on buying to part out but now plans have changed and this car will be my new challenge car. It has a ton of excellent parts on it and i plan to go pick it up sometime between tomorrow and wednesday after work. 

we have not finished negotiating price yet but i can tell you currently we are at 500 for everything. My goal is to get it to about 300, but i may settle for somewhere in the middle. The car is an electric green New edge mustang with a 4v out of a lincoln mark 8. car was originally a v6. the car has a cage in it already, cobra brakes, coil overs, subframe connectors, tubular k member and A arms, as well as a few other odds and ends. 

I do not want to discuss overall plans with the car yet but i will share this, i plan on bringing an absolute monster next year. Thanks again to everyone who made the event so much fun, even my wife is excited to race next year. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
10/27/19 10:50 p.m.

I love green SN95 Mustangs.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/28/19 6:59 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

I love green SN95 Mustangs.

Electric green is one of my favorite colors on them because you almost never see them

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/28/19 7:29 a.m.

It's never too early.  Not enough teams spend enough time developing their car..... 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/28/19 8:36 a.m.
alfadriver said:

It's never too early.  Not enough teams spend enough time developing their car..... 

That was 100% me this year lol

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/29/19 11:06 p.m.

Currently have offered him 400. Waiting a response so i can go dig it out of the holes the tires are now in from sitting for so long. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
10/30/19 3:09 p.m.

Nice seeing you at the Challenge, you definitely jumped right in and the car was great! Looking forward to what you do with this one! 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/31/19 9:51 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Im not sure who you were based on your username but im sure it was nice to see you too! It was a great time and probably the best automotive event ive ever been to. The wife loved it and approved our return for years to come. 

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
10/31/19 9:58 p.m.

Looking forward to the build

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
11/1/19 7:11 a.m.

Well we agreed on $500 for the car so ill be picking it up next week sometime.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/1/19 7:22 a.m.

Good purchase. I'd imagine you can find $250 to recoup out of that. $1750 left gives you lots of options. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/1/19 7:26 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Good purchase. I'd imagine you can find $250 to recoup out of that. $1750 left gives you lots of options. 

You can recoup the full purchase price of anything you buy, as long as your total recoup does not exceed $1000.  So he can recoup $500 off this car, and still spend $2500 on other things as long as he recoups another $500 from those other things.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/1/19 7:34 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Oh yea, that's right. I keep thinking you can recoup half the car purchase but that's not right. So yea, great buy, carry on!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
11/1/19 7:39 a.m.

Looks like a good start to being even faster next year. 

enginenerd
enginenerd Reader
11/1/19 8:28 a.m.

Wow, that is insanely cheap for the parts alone! Great find!

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
11/1/19 8:34 a.m.

Thanks everyone. yea i have a buyer for the engine already. its a 4v "cobra" motor out of a mark 8. so ill be 0 into the chassis. thanks a ton to Calvin Nelson and Andrew. they have given me advice and Calvin and I have been messaging since the event. I think all in all i will be well under budget and have a pretty stout build for next year. 

Ill go ahead and share my plans now since i have spent some money. So far, not including the chassis because i plan to 0 it out, i have spent $780. i have a complete intake to oil pan 4.8 ls, engine harness, th400 shifter, turbo, intercooler, turbo piping, micro squirt, kirkey seat, and a set of rear drag wheels with radials. 

I am very much looking forward to next year even more than i was this year. 

PITTER PATTER LETS GET AT'ER

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/1/19 8:35 a.m.

May I offer a bad influence?

With or without hater pipes, your choice. There is an air to water intercooler buried under the plenum.

Edit...shoulda read to the end of the thread before posting, I see the mod motor has gone away already!

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
11/1/19 8:37 a.m.

I had a bad experience a few years ago with one of those motors.  Check the front pulls/balancer carefully. They have an issue with the rubber bonding failing.  When I was looking, I could not find a replacement.  Maybe things have improved since then.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
11/1/19 8:40 a.m.

I have a fully built aluminator long block sitting in my fox waiting to come out and be sold. i spent 14k building that motor and made 3 passes on it. as of a few months ago im done with the 4v mod motors for a while. i have a gen 4 ls on the engine stand ready to replace it. im just hoping someone buys my built 4v for 9k. expensive. but 1 helluva a deal. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
11/1/19 8:40 a.m.
NOHOME said:

May I offer a bad influence?

With or without hater pipes, your choice. There is an air to water intercooler buried under the plenum.

Edit...shoulda read to the end of the thread before posting, I see the mod motor has gone away already!

that is a cool set up though!

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
11/1/19 9:05 a.m.
surfshibby07 said:

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Im not sure who you were based on your username but im sure it was nice to see you too! It was a great time and probably the best automotive event ive ever been to. The wife loved it and approved our return for years to come. 

Not sure if we officially got introduced, but I'm Andrew. Part of the #16 purplish miata team, and was helping out my friend's with the black turbo CRX a decent amount. Long hair, beard. It's all good. Way too many faces and names to remember, along with matching to a username. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
11/1/19 9:06 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

ohh i think i know who you are. did you let me in the hotel when i left my key inside? lol

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
11/1/19 9:13 a.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

I do believe!

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
11/1/19 9:19 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

ok i know who you are now. nice to meet you! lol

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
11/1/19 2:08 p.m.
surfshibby07 said:

4.8 ls, engine harness, th400 shifter, turbo, intercooler, turbo piping, micro squirt

This is exactly what I have in my "sleeper truck" 

In a light shell that can hook you'll have a weapon on your hands.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IegNqaRH5phutd3YXCgvCkrBml3RfJy2aBFcw3TYWrAXJamivL2Ty3X45Eiz2UuE