wae
wae PowerDork
3/24/22 6:30 a.m.

I found the attachment of the throttle body and its related tube and brackertry to be a bit frustrating.  "Throttle body" doesn't yield any search results in WIS so I was on my own to figure out the right attachment process.  But I did get it worked out:

I looked at the wiring harness to see about pulling it out of the chassis.  It appears to really run all over - under the engine to the transmission, up into the headlights.  So no decision there yet.  It does confirm why I didn't remove the harness itself previously, though.

Another problem that I'm having is that when I started this process, I wasn't as intent on putting it back together.  So I'm having to go on more bolt searches, as opposed to having well-labeled baggies with parts and their fasteners.

Swirl motor has shipped and is coming from TN via USPS. I really need to get some of the proper spec oil so I can roll the beast over and get the oil pan installed.

Misha_
Misha_ New Reader
3/24/22 10:30 a.m.

Hey wae, some of the harness is routed under the high pressure rail. Might want to consider that before tightening it down. When I was pulling my heads out I diligently labelled all connectors. I remember I used on colour for stuff under rail, and another for above to get it back into same shape as when I started. I might still have some photos for routing the harness and fuel lines if you want. Or maybe for you as a mechanic all that is common sense, and hard to get it wrong :)

wae
wae PowerDork
3/24/22 10:52 a.m.
Misha_ said:

Hey wae, some of the harness is routed under the high pressure rail. Might want to consider that before tightening it down. When I was pulling my heads out I diligently labelled all connectors. I remember I used on colour for stuff under rail, and another for above to get it back into same shape as when I started. I might still have some photos for routing the harness and fuel lines if you want. Or maybe for you as a mechanic all that is common sense, and hard to get it wrong :)

hahahahahahahaha.  Me?  As a mechanic?  hahahahahahaha  That's a good one.

No, I'm no mechanic...  I'm just strong evidence for requiring some sort of intelligence test before you're allowed to buy tools.

That's a good point on the high pressure rail, though!  I haven't torqued it down yet - in fact, I haven't even put in the rail-to-headcover bolts - and since you mentioned that, now I will continue to avoid doing that.  I remember from doing the swirl motor way back when that getting that side-to-side connection between the two fuel rails was a pain in the neck, so my thought was to keep things a little loose so I could sneak that in after the swirl motor was installed.

I do have some pictures, but anything you've got would be appreciated!  I didn't label anything because I found that all the connectors really pretty much were either unique or the harness itself just sort of naturally bent a certain way.  The specific routing of the harness, though, might be helpful, just so I can get things tied down where they're supposed to be.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/24/22 12:37 p.m.

Do any of these issues apply to the 2.2 diesel engines in the c220 or e220? Post 2009 or so  

Been thinking of buying one in EU...

wae
wae PowerDork
3/24/22 1:55 p.m.

In reply to amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) :

Truthfully, I have no idea!  Everything that I've learned about the OM642 makes me want to run from any sort of modern diesel, so I can't really have an unbiased opinion.  If the car has a DPF and EGR, I would be very cautious.  The OM642 might be very fine engines if they got a 3k mile OCI from brand-new and every time they developed a new leak, they were torn into immediately to have the leak fixed.  And they have their EGR output and intake tract cleaned out regularly.

I'm not saying that managing the emissions of engines isn't an important goal, but in order to solve for the requirements that have been put on diesel engines, the manufacturers have come up with solutions that do not seem to contribute to the longevity of the mechanics.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/24/22 6:22 p.m.

In reply to wae :

My general experience with modern Diesel emissions equipment is that it works well when loaded and used well.  They come to grief when they are idled around a lot or used gently and on short trips.  (Towing a heavy trailer on the highway = good.  Going to the mall and back and letting it idle when you are in the store because someone told you it is bad to shut the engine off = bad)

I was told that Fed Ex, might have been UPS, spent a lot of money CONVERTING a lot of their delivery trucks to gasoline engines.  Normally they do the bare minimum of maintenance to keep costs down, so to do massively expensive work like that is really saying something.

Also, every newer Isuzu cabover I have seen had a Chevy 6l in it, not an Isuzu turbodiesel.  It is kind of strange to flip the cab up and see an LQ4 (or equivalent) hiding under there.

FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim New Reader
3/25/22 11:49 p.m.
wae said:

I found the attachment of the throttle body and its related tube and brackertry to be a bit frustrating.  "Throttle body" doesn't yield any search results in WIS so I was on my own to figure out the right attachment process. 

IIRC, they rather euphemistically call it the 'mixing chamber', since the EGR is barfed into the incoming air charge right behind the throttle.

I looked at the wiring harness to see about pulling it out of the chassis.  It appears to really run all over - under the engine to the transmission, up into the headlights.  So no decision there yet.  It does confirm why I didn't remove the harness itself previously, though.

You were able to pull the engine out & leave harness in truck, so it must be possible to go back together that way. Right? Probably?

If you need pics of harness routing, LMK, as the engine is possibly going back into the bay this weekend.

wae
wae PowerDork
3/26/22 10:45 a.m.

In reply to FJ40Jim :

Yep, the mixing chamber.  It amuses me that zee Germans have to reinvent the words that we've all been using for years.  But then, the Japanese and the English call it a "prop shaft" instead of drive shaft, so...

When I removed the engine, I took it out in bits since I was on a forensic investigation.  So the turbo came off, then the heads, and then the block.  In an effort to make my life easier, I was hoping to have as much attached as possible when dumping the engine back in.  I've installed the turbo to the block in situ once before, so it isn't an insurmountable task, but it would be so much nicer to get it bolted up when I can walk all the way around it!  And, of course, because the Germans are still eeking out their revenge for losing a couple wars, they run the wiring harness under the damn turbo.

So now I'm deciding if it would be more of a PITA to pull the wiring harness out, hook it up to the engine, install the turbo in the stand, and then thread it all back in OR to just put it back in and bolt the turbo up the way I've done it before.  I drinked on it a bit and I'm pretty sure the turbo is just going to have to wait its turn.

FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim New Reader
3/26/22 10:02 p.m.

I was test fitting the last of the external pieces on the engine: Air filters and intake Y-pipe, colloquially known as the 'Batwing'. Unfortunately, when taking a good look at the batwing, the outlet that clamps to turbo was broken. This may explain why it was leaking oil, i.e. it didn't seal to the turbo anymore. 

This assembly also has the 2 MAFs permanently crimped into it, which means to replace the broken bit of plastic, a whole new plastic piece & 2 rubber boots & 2 new MAFs have to be purchased. New from M-B is about $500. My original PN of 642 090 74 37, supercedes to 642 090 82 37, which is available as a reman unit, PN 642 090 82 37 80. After looking at some sketchy used ones for $200 on eBay, I decided to buy the MB reman part from the Dayton M-B dealer online for $260. Should look like this:

wae
wae PowerDork
3/27/22 8:11 p.m.

EastsideTim was looking for a coconspirator to go with him and pick up some LS stuff from Patrick in Cleveland.  I discovered that a junkyard right off the highway in Columbus had a 2011 E350 BlueTec.  I convinced him to take a chance on a side mission.

We rolled in to the yard right when they opened.  I fully expected the car to be picked clean, but I probably sounded as giddy as a schoolgirl when we walked up to the car and the whole thing was there and complete.  It took waaaaaay longer to massage the alternator out of there, but after about 2 hours and a total of $158, I got:

and

Along with an exhaust sensor that I think I'm missing and a handful of wire pigtails.

wae
wae PowerDork
3/27/22 10:33 p.m.

I went and found my records from when the plan was just to part it out.  My net on the alternator was $100 and the net on the intake tube was $201.  So I've come out okay on having sold those parts - $150 in the positive.

I just remembered that I also sold the grille for a net of $170.  So as long as I can find a grille for under $300, the part-out attempt won't have backfired too bad.  And I don't need the grille to fire it up and get the AEM performed.

FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim New Reader
3/28/22 10:24 a.m.

Excellent JY score, Wae!

Just so I know, which yard is this?

On the alternator, check the OAD pulley. Mine was locked solid. I've replaced several on VW TDIs also. I think the abrupt power stroke on diesels is hard on the pulley. To test, twist the pulley rapidly in the CW and CCW direction. It will spin the rotor immediately in the CW direction, and then slip when twisted abruptly CCW, allowing the rotor to coast in the CW direction a little bit. If it slips in both directions, or is a solid pulley in both directions, the OAD pulley should be replaced. Made by INA, PN 535008410.

FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim New Reader
3/28/22 10:55 a.m.

The new reman air intake batwing was ordered online from mbpartshaus.com on saturday evening. The website didn't say if it was in stock anywhere in North America, I was just hoping it was. Apparently the dealer had it on the shelf, because they just sent the package tracking number. Since they are in Dayton, approx 92 miles away, it should be here tomorrow. Woot!

Sunday I was gonna work on getting racecar trailer ready for first race of the year (April 8-10 at PittRace, for those keeping score), but it was snowing sideways so I'm not working on that outside.

Have to find something to do inside where its warm.... And the engine is in the hole! That's all, it's bolted to BH and mounts; still a bajillion hoses, sensors, coolers, etc to connect.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/28/22 11:11 a.m.

In reply to FJ40Jim :

I think it was the Pick n pull just south of Columbus.

wae
wae PowerDork
3/28/22 12:57 p.m.

In reply to FJ40Jim :

Looking nice!  I'm hoping to start swinging mine around in the garage next week so I can drop my lump back in.

The junkyard was the "pick and pull" on the south side of Columbus.  The car wasn't really banged up very bad, so we can safely assume that it has engine problems.  I wish I had the free time to be able to back up there and tear it apart to see if it's the #2 rod bearing....

I didn't realize you were so close.  Consider this an open invite to come and visit Toiletbird Industries here on the Kentucky side of Cincinnati!

FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim New Reader
3/28/22 3:02 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I haven't done the PnP stroll this year, have a long list of Volvo, toyota, racecar doodads I'm looking for. Might need to find that E350 just to remove a big handfull of e-torx bolts next time I'm there. 

Next time we're down your way, I might stop in!

Likewise, If you're ever on the E side of Columbus, feel free to stop by the TLCPerformance.com global headquarters.

wae
wae PowerDork
3/29/22 8:20 a.m.

I spent yesterday and will spend most of my free time today working on a set piece for my daughters' high school drama club Godspell production this weekend, but I did have a chance to notice that I still haven't gotten my swirl motor and USPS still says "Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item".  Grr.  I contacted eeuroparts and they told me that despite the fact that the order shows as "shipped", "The item was shipped from one internal warehouse to another before it will be sent to the final carrier that will deliver it to you."

My translation is "we didn't actually have it in stock and had to order it.  And we don't drop-ship".

It puts me a little bit behind, but I do have other things I can be doing so it won't be too bad, as long as it ships out soon.  I was hoping to be putting the engine back in the chassis next week but I'm not dropping it in until I have that stupid swirl flap linkage attached.  That seems like something that is waaaaaaay easier to do when I can get to the whole thing.

wae
wae PowerDork
3/30/22 2:38 p.m.

Still waiting on the swirl motor (should be here Friday "in theory") but other than that, I think the engine is basically ready to be installed.  Wow.

FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim New Reader
3/31/22 11:09 a.m.

Looking good Wae!

Speaking of not getting parts in a timely manner, my Batwing package from MB dealer says dropped off at USPO in Dayton several days ago, and that's it. Not at the Columbus sort center, or arrived at local PO. Nothing. Oh well, there's plenty of other work to do, if I ever find time to get back on it.

Before I forget or lose them, here's some pics of wire harness to help getting that laid in place...

There's a few more random pics in the folder, if anything specific is needed.

wae
wae PowerDork
4/1/22 1:37 p.m.

I have sort of hit a weird point....  There's nothing left that I can bolt on to the engine right now!

The rear cover and the flex plate need to be put on, but I have to get the engine off the stand to really have good access to that.  I guess I could put the insulation on the oil pan, but that should really be hosed out first.  I've got another couple cars that need to come in and use the lift so I want to do that before I try to either turn der Scheißwagen around or at least move it away from the wall. 

Interesting difference between the two swirl motors:

The one on the left is what I think is the correct one.  Notice how the arm is angled differently on the "wrong" one on the right.  Otherwise, they appear identical.

Anyway:

And I got the turbo pedestal and the alternator installed:

Almost there!

wae
wae PowerDork
4/5/22 8:26 a.m.

I got one of the non-Mercedes projects completed last night.  Actually, come to think about it, that was at least a Mercedes adjacent project since it was rear shocks and a nasty clunking noise on an '05 PT Cruiser that was built by Daimler Chrysler!

But seriously...  I cleaned things up a bit to prepare for moving the chassis into place for re-insertion of the engine and I patched in the replacement glow plug electrical connector.  There will be a couple other small things, of course, but I made the last "big" purchase of parts that I think I'm going to need to make:  I went to Costco and got a new battery.  I'll probably also need the little auxiliary battery, so I'll try to remember to order that today.

FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim New Reader
4/14/22 12:56 a.m.

I was away for a few days, but I'm back.

The intake batwing finally showed up from the M-B dealer. And then it was sent right back. While waiting for the thing to show up I took a good look at the emission recall documents. Turns out, they will be replacing my broken batwing with a brand new one as part of the repairs. They will also replace the 800 mile old DPF, but will not let me have the old (new?) one to gut for emission delete purposes.

Of note, the "reman" batwing was a 100% new part in a reman box.

That's all for now. Hope to get back on the Benz next week, after getting taxes filed and doing some customer work.

wae
wae PowerDork
4/16/22 10:11 p.m.

I still have some concern about what they're going to tell me about the complete lack of DPF on mine...  But before I can worry about that...

I had a couple side-jobs that needed doing and they're all wrapped up.  So tonight, I moved things around a little:

I'm not sure if that's where I want to leave it, but I could definitely do the work there.  I'd like to try to see about getting it in a position where I could put it over the lift, but we shall see!

wae
wae PowerDork
4/21/22 2:46 p.m.

wae
wae PowerDork
4/21/22 4:22 p.m.

And a little clean up later:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yfeK2wQknbO4wZYg6kXdGShvgeMwDiIj0hT4XZfQGIz3atbe4PsT74NxTYEsOvCG