1 2 3
a_florida_man
a_florida_man Reader
11/13/19 8:25 p.m.

The bride and groom (you pick) look a little rough as you might expect, but the wheelbase tests came back positive, and the marriage is on!

If anyone knows of any reason that these two should not be joined, post now, or forever snicker behind the scenes.

Shhh... let's leave them alone and see what happens...

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
11/13/19 8:29 p.m.

Excellent

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/13/19 8:30 p.m.

I didn't see that coming!

And apparently neither did the guy in the benz....

a_florida_man
a_florida_man Reader
11/13/19 8:36 p.m.

Marriage License:

(Must be glamour shots...)

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
11/13/19 9:08 p.m.

If this mashup is on the horizon ....OHY!!!!

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
11/13/19 9:12 p.m.

Ambitious and this one inbred couple that might result in a pretty child. 

a_florida_man
a_florida_man Reader
11/13/19 10:03 p.m.

No couple is PERFECT, but these two will have a certain flare...

untchabl
untchabl Reader
11/13/19 10:08 p.m.

Looking forward to seeing this come together.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man Reader
11/13/19 10:12 p.m.
untchabl said:

Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Me too! smiley

Don't know how it will end, not even sure how it started.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
11/13/19 10:13 p.m.

Definitely subscribed.

adam525i
adam525i Reader
11/13/19 10:19 p.m.

I can't wait to see that VW flat four go in the back of the benz!

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
11/13/19 10:37 p.m.

And just when I thought the build threads were getting boring...You are a mad genius. 

kellym
kellym New Reader
11/13/19 10:43 p.m.

look up EV west electric conversion before taking the torch to the 'ghia 

a_florida_man
a_florida_man Reader
11/13/19 10:48 p.m.
kellym said:

look up EV west electric conversion before taking the torch to the 'ghia 

Very cool. I really like seeing EV stuff moving forward like that.

Thanks for the heads up, I was not familiar with that company, HUGE selection!

However, this is a 2k Challenge endeavor so $7800 sort of blows the budget!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/14/19 5:41 a.m.

As you can imagine, I highly endorse this kind of shenanigans. Question I have is: Is the Merc usable? It looks pretty mushed up front.  More details please.

Pete

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/14/19 5:53 a.m.

Damn. Caught me by surprise. Best wishes to the happy couple, this is one marriage I don't want to see end in divorce. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/14/19 5:55 a.m.

Apparently the bride used to take it in the rear, but now she's ready for the opposite end. Let's hope she doesn't spit it out. 

a_florida_man
a_florida_man Reader
11/14/19 6:15 a.m.
NOHOME said:

As you can imagine, I highly endorse this kind of shenanigans. Question I have is: Is the Merc usable? It looks pretty mushed up front.  More details please.

Pete

Remains to be seen. This is as speculative as it is sketchy! The equipment trailer deck has served as a frame machine in the past.

As long as the interwebs has some data on measurement points we should be ok.

With this arrangement the frame rail fronts were destined to be truncated anyhow.

It's all part of getting TWO semi valuable cars in under budget and the recoup game going.

a_florida_man
a_florida_man Reader
11/14/19 6:18 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Damn. Caught me by surprise. Best wishes to the happy couple, this is one marriage I don't want to see end in divorce. 

Me too. The VW is not in my physical possession yet, and is a state away. Let's say they are dating right now. Things should get serious this weekend with any luck. 

I posted this in anticipation to gage the enthusiasm, and get feedback from the hive. I fully expect someone on this forum to say, "Yeah, did that in '09, here is what you want to consider"... LOL

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/14/19 6:54 a.m.

I passed on this gem for a while since the tittle gives no indication of what is inside. Seriously needs a more apropos tittle.

A worthwhile measurement is the distance from the front axle to the middle of the seat.  You dont want this to be too far off or you will either be driving from the backseat or jammed into the windscreen. While no big deal for a challenge car, you mess with the factory ergonomics at your own risk if this is going to be a keeper.

Pete

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/14/19 7:11 a.m.
NOHOME said:

I passed on this gem for a while since the tittle gives no indication of what is inside. Seriously needs a more apropos tittle.

A worthwhile measurement is the distance from the front axle to the middle of the seat.  You dont want this to be too far off or you will either be driving from the backseat or jammed into the windscreen. While no big deal for a challenge car, you mess with the factory ergonomics at your own risk if this is going to be a keeper.

Pete

I submit this example. Bad, but not a deal breaker with a removable steering wheel and a  flexible neck.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/14/19 7:23 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Dude, this is the best bait and switch I've ever seen on GRM.  Don't change the title!!!!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/14/19 7:26 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Pete

Yeah, I was trying to figure out what could be salvagable off it myself. Putting the retractable hardtop on the Karmann Ghia?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/14/19 7:41 a.m.

Oh boy... this should be interesting. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
11/14/19 7:55 a.m.

I expect to see the Ghia top surgically cut and reinstalled on the Benz top mechanism for the first ever Ghia hard top convertible. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T4X4dCo7juoergZChSqwT2NdDeiWSjG66ylAD1JEMld31nv1vlud6i7FgnGsL7PM