8 9 10 11
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/29/22 6:29 p.m.

First of the rally Subaru was a fair deal and it is going to live a hood life.  However the photos in the ad were taken to cast the car in the most favorable light.  I'm happy to have it home but it needs a lot of attention to achieve my goals for the car.  It is going to be a project and a rallycross, hill climb, occasional autoX and maybe even a stage rally car for me.  I really want an S7 replica, but cannot afford an original.  My replica will never be 100%, but I want it pretty close. 

Given that let's go over some of the obvious things and options.

The rear bumper cover needs replaced.  JDM STI ones aren't too hard to get.  

It is missing rocker panel skirts.  The WRX ones are cheap, real Prodrive rally ones are money.  There are also cheap fiberglass replicas and very nice carbon ones.  Not sure how to go.

The car has wagon fenders and they are way wrong.  The WRX and STI ones have box flares.  The WRC S7 ones have bigger box flares.  There are nice carbon replicas available or I can get a JDM front clip.

The hood is hurt and needs the S7 scoop added for the racing intercooler ( I won't be doing a replica intercooler for a long time if ever, but the scoop is easy).  

The WRX bumper cover is hurt too.  A JDM bumper cover is a lot closer to the S7 one.  Prodrive ones are big bucks, and so is the carbon replica.  Carbon is probably the strongest though.  Whatever I do it's going to be painted world rally blue.  

More later....

6/29/22 6:35 p.m.

The rear wing needs to be replaced with a JDM STI wing (close) or an S7 replica wing (sits further rearward).  There is a roof vent but it needs covered with a roof scoop.  If I want an actual Subaru roof vent they are now big bucks too.  

I basically have a lot of decisions to make on how close I want the body to be to an S7.  JDM STI is really close, but real replica carbon is major money.  With either and the graphics it will really look the part.  Oh it needs rally mirrors with rally pig on them too.  Those are easy to find.

trumant
trumant Reader
6/29/22 6:39 p.m.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing how you choose to proceed.

Personally, when I'm making choices like this on parts it always comes down to how long do I expect to keep the car and therefore how long is my investment window/cash outlay spread across. When I expect to keep the car constantly evolving (and hopefully improving) over 5+ years it becomes a lot easier to hold off on purchases and save for the extra most bestest part option.

adam525i
adam525i Dork
6/29/22 6:59 p.m.

Do you think it is ready for a rallycross as it sits? I'd be itching to get it out in the dirt and have a bit of fun but I know you're probably still getting dialed in with the new house and everything else.

6/29/22 7:23 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

I need to adjust the seat but yes it will rallycross this summer.

6/29/22 9:53 p.m.

So some good news the way I see it.  The car will be a running driving, rallycrossing and street legal project car!  Decals and gold wheels will be cheap and go a long way to the right look.  The doors and rear quarter panels where the decals go will be just fine until I decide to go for a full repaint (years away).  I figure I can learn painting on the panel changes I make or use them as is.  A new skill will be fun to learn,  I do need to work on the garage this weekend!  I need 220v added to it soon too.

I got 22 wheels with this car and 14 tires!  I did not have room for a set of Motegis I almost regret now.  I should've tried harder to fit them in.  

I have a set of Braid rally wheels on the car and a full spare set with gravel tires!  I also have 3 more Braid wheels with Sumitomo snows and 3 Compomitive rally wheels with snows.  I need to sell all 6 of these!  I also got a set of JDM Enkei 17s and Subaru stock 17s.  The Subie stickers are going on the RS to sell.  I'm keeping my forged Enkeis on it.  If the RS won't bring my price, I'm going to Ute it!  Im not accepting less than $3500 for it.

7/1/22 3:44 p.m.

Windows tinted and blacking out the chrome trim on my daily.

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
7/1/22 6:28 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

The black out is coming out great and I agree it really improves the looks, but the wheels stand out more now indecision

7/9/22 3:27 p.m.

Hmm I regret how short sighted I was in naming this thread.

Anyway the Subaru is sold and headed to its new home.  Ordering tires on Amazon and having them shipped to a local tire shop was a total fiasco!  I had an appointment to install the tires at 8 am.  I dropped off the car with wheels for the new tires.  At 8:45 I picked up the new owner at the airport.  Shortly after 9 am we went to the tire shop and the car had not moved.  So we went and grabbed a bite to eat close by.  At 945 the car hadn't moved.  "You are next was the answer."  So we went to my house, got the roof rack, found the rack keys, removed stuff I forgot was in the car, got the other differential loaded into the Tahoe and went back to the tire shop.  "This can happen when you drop off."  My reply was, guess we are waiting now.  About another hour later, "we can't find the tires."  I'm speechless.  I will never go to that shop again.  I'm local and I provide lots of tire business.  

So the car is now on its trip with a spare set of wheels and the Enkei's I'd have liked to have kept.  Maybe someday I will get them back.  

So long Subie!  You were great for me!

Amazon did refund my money but it was one hour chatting with four customer service reps.  Amazon nearly lost my business today too.  Rep 3 wanted to send me new tires....  The first two had no idea what to do.

So now I'm going to try a different local tire shop.  And I will probably never use Amazon for tires again.

adam525i
adam525i Dork
7/9/22 8:54 p.m.

It's funny (not at the time) how you get bounced around with their customer service, the first few are there to try to chase you away and offer no real solutions and then after that doesn't work and you're still there you eventually get to someone that has the authority to issue a refund/return etc. 

My experience was with a no name tig welder, it made it through the project I bought it for and I learned how to tig weld with it but the next time I used it, it E36 M3 the bed. I was outside of the one month return window and no one to contact for the thing. The first person at amazon sent me ESAB's customer service number to call, I did not make that call lol. Eventually the third or fourth rep issued the return authorization and I sent it back.

7/11/22 10:39 p.m.

Chata Ortega's racing is now registered for the $2000 challenge.  I'm in DC this week for work and we are taking a vacation at the end of the month.

I'm going to have to seriously dedicate 30 min a night and more on the weekends to get the challenge car to match my vision for the project.

7/14/22 4:35 p.m.

Renaming this thread isn't going well.....  try again, make new thread.....  or punt?

adam525i
adam525i Dork
7/14/22 10:55 p.m.

You never know what life will bring, maybe you'll have three Porsches again lol

7/20/22 7:09 p.m.

Thanks that made me LOL.  Subie parts are coming, Honda parts, and a vinyl cutter soon after to execute the challenge theme.

7/20/22 7:10 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

I doubt that but you never know.

7/26/22 8:26 p.m.

Put deposit down on a 16 ft steel deck flatbed auto hauler today.  It has a dovetail and 5 ft long ramps built in plus double axles with electric brakes and a controller.  The Tahoe has the right connections for the brakes to work too.  This is their photo but this place is 15 min from home.  I stopped after work today.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/27/22 10:02 a.m.

Looks great. That single axle w/tilt could have worked, but was marginal. This looks much better for a long hauls and frequent use.

7/27/22 10:58 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

Since I'm going to be headed to Ardmore a few times a year, I agree.  Hopefully, you'll be there too!

7/29/22 9:15 a.m.

I want to give a shout-out to team Illuminati and their rallycross Porsche.  That car and the fun of rallycross have inspired me to embark on a rally replica journey.

Check them out.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/911-carrera-rallycross-project/57485/page25/

7/29/22 10:41 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

Since I'm going to be headed to Ardmore a few times a year, I agree.  Hopefully, you'll be there too!

I'm planning to be there August 21st with one of the Boxsters or Fieros. At least keeping with the mid-engine RWD configuration.

8/5/22 5:12 p.m.

Dream wheels it is for the daily!

And I may be picking up a GMT400 stepside Saturday.  That will delay all the Subaru and Camaro mods.  I do think a Camaro, Subaru and OBS Stepside Chevy are more me and I will use them more than I did the P cars.

8/6/22 2:43 p.m.

I now have an OBS truck too.  It's a half ton, stepside, 305, 2WD and mostly stock.  It needs a lot of TLC.

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
8/6/22 2:47 p.m.

I really like those trucks. I think Cousin Eddie might have a stepside too, not sure. 

Edit: nope, his is not stepside. 

8/6/22 3:38 p.m.

Looks like the body is in great shape. What sort of work does it need?  ...and nice trailer!

Slippery said:

I really like those trucks. I think Cousin Eddie might have a stepside too, not sure. 

Edit: nope, his is not stepside. 

It was the truck I had previous to the current one. 

8 9 10 11
Our Preferred Partners
ZSnr4Fpw6gRZQU29WXbc99wGlJtUKJeiuexr3lO5vXuCN3ZwHEzHBzMqBXUBuI57