5 6 7 8 9
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/4/22 8:20 p.m.

Well the Subaru shifter is all the way out.  The new bushings and shift handle are ready to go back in.  That will be tomorrow's project.  So I've gotten 1.5 to 2 hrs so far this week so we are on track!  I need to get an egg timer or something. I also need a new headlamp for working in the dark.  My old one has the AA battery pack on the back so under the car I keep knocking it off.

1/9/22 4:28 p.m.

Well I tried getting the shifter back in Thursday only to be stymied by cold and the new rear bushing alignment.  The holes were off just a tiny bit or cold made the poly shrink just enough I couldn't get the bolts started.  I spent Friday and Saturday feeling terrible sick.  I'm probably 80% today, but with a pry bar and patience it's all back together.  With the new bushings, shorter shifter and way shorter knob it feels much sportier and each gear is easier to find.  The granny's Impreza shifting feel is way reduced.

I'm out of town for work M-F.  I need to decide do I need to work 3.5 hrs over the weekend to keep my goal of give myself the days off from my garage resolution.

1/23/22 5:35 p.m.

Got the 2nd MR2 door converted to manual windows and installed the T3 door panel.  The interior looks very racy now.  Next I need to dry ice the sound deadner, install the harness bar and then a racing harness.  Then I can detail the interior and the inside will be complete for the challenge.  Then I can fix the bad headlight motor and repair the battery tray.  Then it will be time to find an autoX and see how it does.  The MR2 starts and drives with no complaints every time.  That is a huge plus.  Nothing will change power wise except some giggle gas for the drag race.  

Do I leave the passenger seat and belt in for autoX passengers, or remove it which I will for the drag racing anyway?  

1/30/22 7:26 p.m.

Been working on the MR2 battery box situation,  since the weather is good in the driveway, and next weekend will be cold I decided to do the steering rack swap on the Camaro.  LT1 cars do have one advantage over the LS1 cars, you can swap steering racks without loosening the crossmember.  The LS1 steering rack and shaft are in the car and it should make a huge difference.  I need to bleed the system and get it realigned.  I like my projects running and driving.  

The battery box project.

1/31/22 6:49 p.m.

I got the Camaro torqued up and drive it again today.  Wow!  The LS1 rack and solid steering shaft transformed the steering.  It is utterly night vs day amazing.  I'm really looking forward to getting the front brakes and shocks done soon too.  I need to keep making progress on the challenge MR2 too.  With the move out of state coming in June having the challenge car ready for October will require persistence.  I also need to do some mods to the rallycross Subaru.  With 3 cars to work on, ultimately I may need to sell the Porsche or pay someone else to work on it.

2/1/22 11:20 p.m.

Still trying to make auto progress on work days too.  I'm trying to make the battery tray area of the MR2 less gross.  I will have to work on the frunk too.  When you know your challenge car will be MR2 slow in the drag race, you will need those concourse points.

I'm also doing something on the Subaru.....  time to get busy on it.  The first rallycross is on March 5th.  I'm hoping to get my dad and son both there and have 3 generations flog one car.

2/10/22 5:23 p.m.

Lots of fussing but the battery box in the MR2 is rigidly mounted.  It has bolts through the bottom and I put one on the side going forward through the vertical Toyota mount.  I also had fun with the cable ends as they were about 0.1 mm bigger than the posts.  They just would not tighten.  I got some lead terminal expanders and they were too big.  I ended up taking snips to them and making small spacers.  The terminals are tight now.  I'm confident this will now pass tech, whereas before it would not.  I can now see how the car handles without worrying if the bungee will allow the battery to short out somewhere too.

Also here is a trick I used for the lock nuts since the battery box is on top of the trans / engine mount.  These locknuts were a pain to get to.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
2/13/22 7:52 a.m.

The doors and battery box work on MR2 looks good Anthony! Nice to have battery mounting secure for it. It's coming together, will be interested in the driving impression once you get a chance to run it.

So what exactly is going on with the WRX? Getting ready to make a mounting bracket for some ditch lights?

2/13/22 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

I'm going to work on the frunk rust and headlights next on the MR2.  I drive it around the neighborhood every week or so now.  Honestly, it's like a big go kart.  It's a car you wear.  I'm down 10 lbs which helps getting in and out and want to lose more before the challenge.  My biggest gripes driving it are the clutch adjustment (which I will fix next time the seat is out and I can be up under the dash), and the steering wheel is not centered with the seat.  I will try and get the seat closer to the tunnel to help with this too, but it's tight! 

The WRX is getting a new steering rack soon, new limited slip diff, window tint, a lighter hood and some AC service.  After the move, I may strip it and go full rally car with full cage, etc.  I really want to do a WRC replica of sorts. 

The crammit will get an engine rebuild after the move and a swap to more modern engine controls and coil on plug.  It will likely get new seats too.  It needs lots of little odds and ends too. 

The new house will have a 3 car garage!  I'm considering a double lift so I can fit 4 cars in the garage and have the 3rd bay as a shop / hobby room. 

3/4/22 11:12 p.m.

Okay went and checked out the new house thoroughly and took photos and measurements.  New garage is big.  Smart move will be to reorganize the entire car fleet though including the daily drivers.  This thread may end up having zero Porsches.  Anyone have a strong desire to own a speed yellow 986 S?  I spend most of my time working on the Subaru and Camaro anyway and that's honestly enough project cars, especially when considering the plans I have for both of them.  I'm having more fun rallycrossing than any other automotive thing I have ever done too.  Going full rally car is becoming a bigger priority. 

3/5/22 10:01 p.m.

The new digs.....

Gonna do a full mod rallycross car build here for this thing.

That's kiddo #1 driving photographed by kiddo #2 !!!!

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/10/22 4:52 p.m.

Hmm.  Okay well it seems as part of our move and our new commute, our entire fleet is going to change.  The Camaro stays and will get an engine rebuild in the next 24 months, clutch and other things.  The Subaru is probably going to be sold and upgraded to an STI.  Simply put an STI is cheaper and easier than an STI conversion.  So I will probably build an STI rallycross monster.  The MR2 will likely stay or be sold post challenge.  I am going to the 2022 challenge!  The Boxster is already for sale.  I'd honestly love to keep it, but I want to focus on the Camaro and Subaru.  I want to rallycross and build an 11 sec car for drag and drive events.  The Camaro can also run CAM whenever I want too.

Even the daily drivers are going to change!  My wife has a Tiguan and I have a Colorado Z71.  My mother in law is coming with us and has a newer CX5.  We need to make space to accomodate the CX5.  I was going to buy an additional car to commute, but honestly 4 other cars on the property is too much.

I ordered a new '22 Civic Si in MS today!  This will become my new daily.  It will be built in May, get to the US in Juneish and they are going to sell it for MSRP exactly!  Yes, MSRP on a new car.  It will be worth the wait over buying used.  I drove a '19 Si and it would make a great DD.  The '22 will be just as good. 

Now I'm selling the Colorado and my wife's Tiguan.....  she will need a new DD that can haul the family, go camping, and haul cars to and from the challenge or drag and drive etc.  We are currently shopping Tahoes and Durangos.  We may also look at used Audi Q7s and Escalades.  We need something that seats 4+ comfortably on car trips and can pull a car, boat or travel trailer etc.  I think the minimum to do that efficiently is a 7k towing capacity. 

So by the end of this year / early next year I will have a:  '96 Camaro SS, an '04-'07 STI, an '89 MR2, a '22 Civic Si, and a big SUV for the daily chores. 

3/29/22 6:17 p.m.

Well the Boxster S is now on its journey to a new home and new life.  I'm hoping it gets driven and enjoyed more. 

That means this thread is now totally inappropriately named.  Hmmm.  Kill it, rename it, carry on?  Who cares? 

So now I'm leaning towards selling the Subaru Impreza too.  A full JDM conversion is likely more expensive than buying an STI, so now I'm on the lookout for an 04 to 07 STI in rally blue.  If anyone has leads, let me know!  I'm looking for cars that are mostly stock since I'm doing rallycross so most mods are bad for me (cold air kits and lowering are bad for me and are the two most common mods).  I want a stock one, but high miles are not really an issue. 

The Camaro is going to get some major engine work in the next year or two and become a drag and drive car.  My rallycross friend is building a car to do these types of events too.  I'm going to enjoy them as well and shift my own gears doing it! 

The MR2 will get to the 2022 challenge most likely, and then I will decide keep it or sell it.  Honestly anyone that sees it loves it and thinks I should keep it as a track weapon.  I kind of agree. 

adam525i
adam525i Dork
3/29/22 7:30 p.m.

If you want all the STi bells and whistles and have the budget then I think you are best off buying that car rather than trying to build it.

If you just want the power then I'd be looking for a crashed Forester XT/Outback XT/Legacy GT and pulling the engine and doing the swap. Mechanically that should be easy, wiring maybe not so much. The other interesting swap would be 3.0R or 3.6R 6 out of an Outback or Tribeca for some more NA power but I think standalone ECU is pretty much the only way to go with them.

If you do buy the STi I'd keep the Impreza until you have the turbo car sorted or you might be missing some events.

3/30/22 12:04 a.m.

In reply to adam525i :

I agree.  I want the fancy diffs and all.  I also want to build a WRC replica of sorts.  

3/30/22 10:43 p.m.

The Subaru may be sold already..... wife has already green lighted an STI.  She said I could get it immediately after the Subaru sells, but I will probably wait until after the move and the garage is semi set up.  I will be tearing up dirt again soon. 

4/5/22 8:05 p.m.

With the last Porsche gone and sold, I am now leading the race for the most wrongly named build thread.  I'd be super happy if it could be renamed "one guy, one garage and some cars."

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
4/6/22 7:39 p.m.

Great fleet.  Following along.

4/6/22 8:53 p.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

Thanks.  I am really enjoying racing the Subaru on dirt.  I'm going to build a manually shifted drag & drive car out of the Camaro.  And I am excited to see how much fun the MR2 is at autoX and the $2k challenge.

The biggest thread surprise should occur in August or September when I reveal the MR2 graphics.  

4/12/22 1:24 p.m.

Did a rallycross on Sunday.  There was another GRMer there and the event host had on a GRM Tshirt too.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/12/22 7:12 p.m.

And I was brave enough to ride shotgun for a couple turns...

4/16/22 5:59 p.m.

The old garage is nearly empty in preparation for the move.  We close next Friday (old house) and a week from Monday (new house).  I have everything to coat the new garage floor.  I also mentioned how much a full JDM drivetrain will be for the Impreza and my wife didn't flinch.  She thinks its a better idea than selling and getting an STI.  Since bugeye STIs never were imported to the US, I'm leaning that way myself.  Also the JDM blocks are more durable than the USDM ones.  I will be running a stock tune, stock boost.... stock, stock, stock.  I don't need more than 280hp on dirt.  I do need the limited siip diffs all around though and 4pot / 2pot brakes and a rear wing that allegedly adds some downforce. 

4/18/22 6:40 p.m.

Looking really empty around here.

4/23/22 5:34 p.m.

Well the house and garage are empty.  I just loaded the Camaro on the trailer and I'm pissed.  I always drive it a bit before putting it away.  Going to pull out into an empty lane and a moron changed lanes on me with no signal.  I had to take evasive action which will cost me a wheel and tire.  It also scraped the front fascia some but it wasn't perfect.  Of course the a hole drove off evading without stopping.  I won't miss Dallafornia much at all.  Good riddance to all these crap people moving here.  

4/24/22 3:20 p.m.

1 day later and still angry.

5 6 7 8 9
Our Preferred Partners
NO7pSC87oot24InQlhdnEGbogxqW9TLkNwzdbtFGV0eotrM9lX0xbBOuX4qDweOm