canoe

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/3/13 9:45 a.m.

Front suspension

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/3/13 10:13 a.m.

This is original napkin drawing. This is what Go 3 wheeler will look like next year.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/3/13 10:14 a.m.
ShadowSix wrote: canoe

I moved it to here (i.e. the place to put things for sale over $2k.) I hope they're not discouraged by the lack of interest here. I also hope they start capping their tubes and using gussets before selling any of these to the public.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/3/13 10:21 a.m.

Not to trash on your design, but with no roll cage and a slim rear end. I would be very worried about losing the rear end and hooking something such as a curb, pothole, or rock. That is assuming speed is part of the design.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/3/13 10:36 a.m.

Is there a completed model to see?

What powers it? I assume a bike engine, drivetrain?

You refer to your facebook page, but I see nothing there.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/3/13 10:39 a.m.

I think the market they're going after is the commuter rather than performance. I agree the frame design looks a bit rough... especially in light of the recent "roast my frame design" thread. However, the concept in general shows promise.

Joey - Technically... shouldn't a commercial post go into the Parts Counter forum?

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/3/13 10:48 a.m.

This is just the beginning. The frame you see is raw design to get idea what and where things going to mount. The whole concept is simple inexpensive three wheel car that you can finish under $4500 . We will be using 16 horsepower 420cc engine you can buy brand new on Ebay for under $300. The 16 horsepower engine might not sound like a lot but keep in mind the whole car will tip the scale at only 450 pounds. We might explore other powertrain options in the future but speed is not on our priority list.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/3/13 10:52 a.m.
Ian F wrote: I think the market they're going after is the commuter rather than performance. I agree the frame design looks a bit rough... especially in light of the recent "roast my frame design" thread. However, the concept in general shows promise. Joey - Technically... shouldn't a commercial post go into the Parts Counter forum?

Yes, but they're obviously not paying advertisers. I've already emailed Alan drawing his attention to this thread. We'll let the magazine staff sort the rest of this out.

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/3/13 12:09 p.m.

This is the same exact way we started when we help Dave from Fatory Five to design GTM super car when he was poor:-). Look where they now.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/3/13 12:17 p.m.

If you have any more information or photos, might as well put it up. I can't find it anywhere else.

Dan

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/3/13 12:49 p.m.

This is what we have right now. Shold have some more photos as we will be doing front suspension this week. I will be posting as we go. It's a hobby for us so let us take our time and enjoy this build.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/3/13 1:10 p.m.

Forgive my ignorance, but how is it street legal? 50 state legal? How's that work?

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/3/13 1:27 p.m.

It's simple. With three wheels it's basically a motorcycle. You register it as any other motorcycle put together by hundreds of bike builders.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/3/13 1:32 p.m.

Makes sense. I'm brainstorming ways to make the rear wheel more stable. Driving me kind of nuts.

nocones
nocones SuperDork
10/3/13 1:45 p.m.

I reserve judgement until the final product drawings become available. Do you have any engineers working foe you? Are those golf cart wheels/tires? Remember when analyzing this frame the rules are somewhat different because torsional rigidity doesnt mater. That said you still need a solid chassis particularly one that you are selling.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/3/13 1:49 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Makes sense. I'm brainstorming ways to make the rear wheel more stable. Driving me kind of nuts.

Like add another wheel?

SRW trikes tend not to be quite a tippy as DRW trikes.

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/3/13 2:03 p.m.

Just like a motorcycle or car swing arm side motion controlled by two arm bushings and up-down by two shocks.

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/3/13 2:07 p.m.

Can't use golf cart wheels, they are not street legal. We using street legal 10 inch wheels and tires. The whole tire and wheel combination is only 21 pounds

SCARR
SCARR Reader
10/3/13 2:24 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

GUSSETS ARE FOR SQUARES!

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/3/13 6:44 p.m.

This is the 10 inch wheels.

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/3/13 10:31 p.m.

Many of the small three wheel cars come without a reverse gear. We decided to go back to the drawing board and redesign the whole rear swing arm to accept the Forward / Reverse Gearbox. With gearbox you will have a shifter with Forward, Neutral and Reverse. It's good to have options ether to bolt on optional Forward / Reverse Gearbox with CVT transmission or you can opt for CVT without a reverse. The cost for the Forward / Reverse Gearbox is around $270. Gearbox weight penalty is about 10 pounds. Reverse ratio is 2.7:1.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
10/4/13 10:54 a.m.

We'll leave this post be. Carry on. I'm also moving this back to build threads. There's obviously nothing for sale yet and there's some interest in seeing how this machine will be built.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
10/4/13 1:40 p.m.

Have you considered mounting the engine and transmission to the main frame instead of the swingarm, to reduce unsprung weight?

1 2 3

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
kX4dgc1AqHEed5TFjcI3pkzSUHcuf3l1RltfuPOGXkHh5A9lxePvH32cTv0uayPS