3 4 5 6 7
Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
10/15/13 10:54 p.m.

You should head over to the Corner-Carvers forum.

Those guys are super receptive to this kind of stuff, You'd probably get way less negative feedback over there.

Super bunch of guys who really know their stuff and are always willing to help.

Good luck.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/15/13 10:56 p.m.
go3wheeler wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Why are you posting in this forum? This is a motorsports forum. We make cars better, faster, stronger. A number of us have designed and built our own cars - then redesigned them and built them again.
just curious have you ever design and build a light weight street legal car from your own drawing start to finish including tooling and fiberglass molds for mass production?

I realize that Keith's wording was inelegant, but I don't think he was trying to say that HE had done all of that. There are plenty of users who have fabricated their own cars. (Hess, SkinnyG, etc.). There are others who have designed cars and fabricated them from scratch.....and yes, there's at least one who has done everything you say: sketching his own car, fabricating it start to finish (including fiberglass molds for mass production) and is writing a book on how to assemble it. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/community/kb58/

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/15/13 10:58 p.m.
Mr_Estrotica wrote: I like you, go3wheeler. You seem like a swell guy who won't take no for an answer. You're the kind of guy who can get stuff done; I can already see that. Have you thought about running for political office?

If that's what's needed to get through some of this clowns than I will consider

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/15/13 11:02 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: You should head over to the Corner-Carvers forum. Those guys are super receptive to this kind of stuff, You'd probably get way less negative feedback over there. Super bunch of guys who really know their stuff and are always willing to help. Good luck.

Looks like much much better place. Are you sure you not going to miss me?

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/15/13 11:11 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
go3wheeler wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Why are you posting in this forum? This is a motorsports forum. We make cars better, faster, stronger. A number of us have designed and built our own cars - then redesigned them and built them again.
just curious have you ever design and build a light weight street legal car from your own drawing start to finish including tooling and fiberglass molds for mass production?
I realize that his wording was inelegant, but I don't think he was trying to say that HE had done all of that. There are plenty of users who have fabricated their own cars. (Hess, SkinnyG, etc.). There are others who have designed cars and fabricated them from scratch.....and yes, there's at least one who has done everything you say: sketching his own car, fabricating it start to finish (including fiberglass molds for mass production) and is writing a book on how to assemble it. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/community/kb58/

At least one guy who has done everything including sketching of his own car? Is this another stand up comedy act? or do I see another take on Caterham 7? He must be a good original designer.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
10/15/13 11:26 p.m.

In reply to go3wheeler:

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/15/13 11:40 p.m.
go3wheeler wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
go3wheeler wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: A number of us have designed and built our own cars - then redesigned them and built them again.
There are others who have designed cars and fabricated them from scratch.....and yes, there's at least one who has done everything you say: sketching his own car, fabricating it start to finish (including fiberglass molds for mass production) and is writing a book on how to assemble it. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/community/kb58/
At least one guy who has done everything including sketching of his own car? Is this another stand up comedy act? or do I see another take on Caterham 7? He must be a good original designer.

Derivative works don't count? Interesting. Your design looks like a mashup of How is this not a mashup of a Can-Am Spyder
and the Akira bike

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/15/13 11:51 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
go3wheeler wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
go3wheeler wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: A number of us have designed and built our own cars - then redesigned them and built them again.
There are others who have designed cars and fabricated them from scratch.....and yes, there's at least one who has done everything you say: sketching his own car, fabricating it start to finish (including fiberglass molds for mass production) and is writing a book on how to assemble it. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/community/kb58/
Derivative works don't count? Interesting. Your design looks like a mashup of How is this not a mashup of a Can-Am Spyder and the Akira bike

You are not just a comedian you are extremely blind comedian. At least you got the number of wheels right this time

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
10/16/13 7:13 a.m.

Ok, your appalling attitude aside for a moment.

50 state legal? Really? Will you be issuing an MSO? Otherwise don't expect that it will be legal in NJ, for many other reasons as well.

Your goals are admirable, your foolhardy belief that you have all the answers and some very intelligent and experienced people here are beneath your consideration is not.

If Elio succeeds in their goals of putting out their 3 wheeler, with a real engine, real 50 state legal status and a price under $7k as they claim then a $3000 kit with limited usability has no real chance. Be realistic. It's a neat toy you are trying to build, and if you live in a state with very, very relaxed registration laws you might even make it "street legal" under some scooter exemptions. But it is not a viable 50 state production or even kit based vehicle.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/16/13 7:19 a.m.

Oh man I missed what a train wreck this became.

Go3wheeler: You're not knowledgeable enough to scratch-build a car yet. Maybe "Craigslist crackhead" fodder, but not a proper car that couldn't be called a deathtrap. You're vastly overestimating how heavy a reasonable amount of bracing will make your 3-wheeler, and the stuff you said to Keith shows that you currently have Red Green-level chassis design & car safety knowledge. And when you question Keith's advice you're going straight to Hard Mode, do the tutorial level first.

Do some reading on chassis design. Look at the design of race cars (designed to perform well in crashes above street-legal speeds) and DOT-approved crash-tested vehicles, and not sketchy "Craigslist crackhead" stuff for examples.

Your vehicle concept can work, don't let the placement of some tubes ruin it.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/16/13 7:28 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
go3wheeler wrote:
I realize that Keith's wording was inelegant, but I don't think he was trying to say that HE had done all of that. There are plenty of users who have fabricated their own cars. (Hess, SkinnyG, etc.). There are others who have designed cars and fabricated them from scratch.....and yes, there's at least one who has done everything you say: sketching his own car, fabricating it start to finish (including fiberglass molds for mass production) and is writing a book on how to assemble it. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/community/kb58/

Plus the number of us that have been involved in chassis design for FSAE.

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/16/13 7:34 a.m.

Let's behave like a gentlemen from now on and continue with the hobby we love. It doesn't have to come to this

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
10/16/13 7:41 a.m.
go3wheeler wrote: Let's behave like a gentlemen from now on and continue with the hobby we love. It doesn't have to come to this

Excellent idea, you should definitely try that and be a little more receptive to those trying to help you.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/16/13 8:09 a.m.

Behave like a gentleman? Youre nuts f you somehow think you can discredit kb58's work simply because it has 4 wheels. Losing a wheel doesnt instantly put you into untouchable status - if anything, its going to make the goal of building a 3 wheel gocart, from scratch, that is safe to operate on roads in all 50 states that much more difficult.

But, I guess in the end, we will have the last laugh when youre sued into the stone age by those your napkin scribble has injured when the thing folded like an accordion after running over a sewer lid. I guess though, really, youre probably lucky that theres probably only like 6 people in the whole country that will buy into your ridiculous design, able to read, and have a bank account with a positive balance to afford your "kit", so I guess you have that going for you....youre liability is limited by your market pool.

Good luck with life. 4cf out

edited because Im better than that.

tb
tb Reader
10/16/13 8:28 a.m.

Has this forum actually just imploded into useless elitism and internet thuggery?

I need go to turn some wrenches to clear my head of this virtual mental masturbation...

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/16/13 8:34 a.m.

go3wheeler
go3wheeler New Reader
10/16/13 8:35 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Behave like a gentleman? berkeley you! Youre out of your berkeleying mind if you somehow think you can discredit kb58's work simply because it has 4 wheels. Losing a wheel doesnt instantly put you into untouchable status - if anything, its going to make the goal of building a 3 wheel gocart, from scratch, that is safe to operate on roads in all 50 states that much more difficult. But, I guess in the end, we will have the last laugh when youre bankrupt and imprisoned after being sued into the stone age by those unfortunate mouthbreathers your lame ass whackadoodle napkin scribble douchmobile has injured when the damned thing folded like an accordion after running over a sewer lid. I guess though, really, youre probably lucky that youre so dense - theres probably only like 6 people in the whole country that are retarded enough to buy into your ridiculous design, able to read, and have a bank account with a positive balance to afford your "kit", so I guess you have that going for you....youre liability is limited by your market pool. Good luck with life. 4cf out

Looks like we found the biggest ashole here. I'm going to pretend I did not see your post you ^&%%%^&^ just to keep it civil. You did not deserve even this 5 seconds I spent writing this response so go back to your boaring McDonald job and forget I ever existed.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/16/13 8:37 a.m.
tb wrote: Has this forum actually just imploded into useless elitism and internet thuggery? I need go to turn some wrenches to clear my head of this virtual mental masturbation...

No. We've just had some new people recently who have been offered some good advice and who responded by attacking the regular members who offered that advice. The sad part is that people were trying to help him improve the structural integrity of his chassis, and he became argumentative.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
10/16/13 8:39 a.m.

photo RingLock2.jpg

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/16/13 8:42 a.m.
go3wheeler wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
go3wheeler wrote: just curious have you ever design and build a light weight street legal car from your own drawing start to finish including tooling and fiberglass molds for mass production?
there's at least one who has done everything you say: sketching his own car, fabricating it start to finish (including fiberglass molds for mass production) and is writing a book on how to assemble it. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/community/kb58/
do I see another take on Caterham 7? He must be a good original designer.

My, the go3wheeler is an entirely new and innovative design

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/16/13 8:56 a.m.

edited because Im better than that.

McDonalds job lol

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/16/13 8:59 a.m.
go3wheeler wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH I'm going to pretend I did not see your post you ^&%%%^&^ just to keep it civil. You did not deserve even this 5 seconds I spent writing this response so go back to your boaring McDonald job and forget I ever existed.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/16/13 9:00 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
go3wheeler wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
go3wheeler wrote: just curious have you ever design and build a light weight street legal car from your own drawing start to finish including tooling and fiberglass molds for mass production?
there's at least one who has done everything you say: sketching his own car, fabricating it start to finish (including fiberglass molds for mass production) and is writing a book on how to assemble it. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/community/kb58/
do I see another take on Caterham 7? He must be a good original designer.
My, the go3wheeler is an entirely new and innovative design

You screwed up Joey, CLEARLY the Can Am has 6 spoke wheels.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/16/13 9:09 a.m.

Yup, I did. Counting is hard. I was always better at gluing and pasting the maccaroni during craft time. I also forgot to draw the lines to the cycle fenders. (It was a major failure, too, since nobody can see that the fenders have the same styling unless I point it out.)

--

Seriously, the Go3wheeler is a decent looking design. I don't think they were looking at and intentionally copying the Can-Am. I do think that the design and styling closely resemble a recumbant-seat Can-Am. There's nothing wrong with that....I would expect most reverse trikes to look similar.

The only thing I have an issue with is dismissing the midlana just because the obvious 7-ish styling cues. The truth of the matter is that there are only so many ways to build a minimalist sports car.....also pot:black kettle:black;

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
10/16/13 9:24 a.m.

Jesus Christ.

go3wheeler, you're not going to win an audience here by calling people arseholes, ignoring advice from knowledgeable people, reacting harshly, and repeatedly plugging your Facebook page. I realize this project is your baby, but you need to keep cool when people criticize it. This is basic PR stuff.

The rest of you: We didn't lock the Exocet thread for being a canoe, and I'm not doing that here. Stop calling it one.
It takes two to tango, and your tone in the latter part of this thread is not appreciated. You're all complicit, and I've had enough of your smartass nonsense.

Don't make me come back in here.

3 4 5 6 7

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
xfTG0dz3lIn0fYZ3rwbqM1pdkDcKMuQMK8JjZitr1Hh47loZ3soo3sS4Q812Wvtm