1 2
MazdaFace (Forum Supporter)
MazdaFace (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/27/21 12:15 p.m.

Picked up a more modern baby hauler. 2016 vw gti. Autobahn with the lighting package. It has the 6 speed dsg and it's probably the funnest stock car I've ever owned. Not doing much of anything to it, but here it is:

3/27/21 1:21 p.m.

Oh and i don't remember if I ever posted about it, but the mk6 sportwagen tdi next to it is the wife's baby mobile. We are officially a grey volkswagen family lol

3/29/21 7:40 a.m.

Ok so first mod on the car I'm not going to mod. Used obdeleven to turn on the 5 brake light mod. I like it. 

rothwem
rothwem Reader
3/29/21 8:46 a.m.

How does a rear-facing baby seat fit in these?  My son is an awkward age right now at 17 months where he's too big for an infant bucket but still needs to be rear facing, and the convertible seats are ENORMOUS.  I can't get it into the back of my BMW.  

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
3/29/21 9:10 a.m.

Gray VW kid carrier club here too!

Wife has a mk5 Jetta wagon 2.5, I have the mk6 GTI.  Our jetta has a little more room than the GTI.  I'm 5'8 and don't need to scoot fwd with the rear facing seat behind me. Any taller and I'd have to compromise.

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
3/29/21 10:26 a.m.
Brotus7 said:

My four year old son has that book. He calls it "Nipples". He loves it. 

I was able to fit three seats in a row in the back of a Neon. It was tight, but we made it work. 

3/29/21 12:16 p.m.

In reply to rothwem :

The one we're currently using fits fine. Slightly more space in the backseat than the sportwagen surprisingly. It's an infant carrier but going to switch to a convertible soon so I'll let you know. Just got done dropping it off at the dealership so they can pdr it and fix the window tint. 

rothwem
rothwem Reader
3/30/21 8:00 a.m.
MazdaFace (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to rothwem :

The one we're currently using fits fine. Slightly more space in the backseat than the sportwagen surprisingly. It's an infant carrier but going to switch to a convertible soon so I'll let you know. Just got done dropping it off at the dealership so they can pdr it and fix the window tint. 

I always think its funny how car packaging works around carseats.  I'm glad it fits!  

infernosg
infernosg Reader
3/30/21 8:50 a.m.

I have nothing useful to add but wanted to come play in the gray VW party. We also have a gray MkV Jetta TDI w/ DSG that served as my wife's daily driver for many years. I tried to convince her to get the manual MkVI Sportwagen but was unsuccessful.

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
3/30/21 12:11 p.m.

These cars have a surprising amount of rear seat room. My son is 6'2" and fits in the back seat without moving the front seats from their normal positions. 

I have a 2011 base with the DSG. The best mod I've done is an Integrated Engineering DSG tune. In stock form I found D mode always wanted to get into 6th gear as soon as possible and didn't like to downshift until you floored the pedal. S mode wanted to keep the engine in the 3500+ rpm range all the time and was too aggressive to drive 99% of the time. The IE tune made both modes better. D is more aggressive but it feels like I how would drive a stick normal conditions. S mode is smoother and feels more like how I would drive a stick if I were driving on a back road. If I want to drive more aggressively than that I switch over to manual mode.

3/30/21 9:42 p.m.

The dsg tune is definitely on my list of things I'd like to do eventually for sure

4/3/21 9:52 p.m.

Ok graco convertible is in. Plenty of room for the passenger. More than with the infant seat 

4/6/21 1:02 p.m.

Welp catback exhaust is here for the car I'm not going to mod. If I get a day off this weekend I'm hoping to get it installed. 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/21 1:29 p.m.

My folks have a Jetta wagon (in white) and they love it.  Basic transportation with some decent fit/finish and luxury conveniences.  They weren't going to get the TDi considering their driving style, but were quite happy after the diesel scandal hit.

Anyway, to fit seats in our cars and have seats to use for adults, the wife and I ponied up for seats from Diono.  They are beastly heavy/expensive, but they work from newborn to booster.

They are supposedly "easy to travel with" since they have backpack straps built in and the seat bottom folds upward.  They are pretty heavy with their steel frame though, so we've not tested that theory yet.

Using them allowed us to only use two of the three seats in our cars so we could comfortably fit an adult in the third seat.

Congrats on the bab(ies) and the Baby haulers!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
4/6/21 1:34 p.m.
CAinCA said:

These cars have a surprising amount of rear seat room. My son is 6'2" and fits in the back seat without moving the front seats from their normal positions. 

I have a 2011 base with the DSG. The best mod I've done is an Integrated Engineering DSG tune. In stock form I found D mode always wanted to get into 6th gear as soon as possible and didn't like to downshift until you floored the pedal. S mode wanted to keep the engine in the 3500+ rpm range all the time and was too aggressive to drive 99% of the time. The IE tune made both modes better. D is more aggressive but it feels like I how would drive a stick normal conditions. S mode is smoother and feels more like how I would drive a stick if I were driving on a back road. If I want to drive more aggressively than that I switch over to manual mode.

Our 2011 TDI sportwagon also has a tune on the DSG and is exactly as described here.

4/11/21 11:24 p.m.

Aftermarket catback is on. It was probably the most uneventful installation I've ever done. No stripped or rusty bolts, nothing. Looks great, sounds perfect. Still very quiet. 

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
4/12/21 10:55 a.m.

In reply to MazdaFace (Forum Supporter) :

Purdy!  Filing info away for future me that may return to VWs at some point...whose catback is that?

4/12/21 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Rotaryracer :

Rev9. It's basically a china knockoff of nuespeeds. But hardware/fitment was spot on, and the sound is exactly what I was going for. 

4/24/21 10:13 p.m.

Alright next mod to the car I'm not modding. Spoiler extension from rennwagen is on. Install was super easy, and I love the look. 

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
4/25/21 6:46 a.m.

Great "not a build thread" so far. Keep up the work!

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/25/21 4:03 p.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:

My folks have a Jetta wagon (in white) and they love it.  Basic transportation with some decent fit/finish and luxury conveniences.  They weren't going to get the TDi considering their driving style, but were quite happy after the diesel scandal hit.

Anyway, to fit seats in our cars and have seats to use for adults, the wife and I ponied up for seats from Diono.  They are beastly heavy/expensive, but they work from newborn to booster.

They are supposedly "easy to travel with" since they have backpack straps built in and the seat bottom folds upward.  They are pretty heavy with their steel frame though, so we've not tested that theory yet.

Using them allowed us to only use two of the three seats in our cars so we could comfortably fit an adult in the third seat.

Congrats on the bab(ies) and the Baby haulers!

We have Dionos too, they make a travel bag that fits really well and has backpack style straps. It's heavy but really not too bad, and way easier than trying to haul around a convertible that doesn't fold up into a less bulky, easier to transport shape.

Anyway, love the GTI - if our Fit ever dies that might be a nice replacement, our family all lives far away so we bought a full on minivan to hold everyone when visitors are here.

5/19/21 6:33 p.m.

Welp next mod for the car I'm not modding. 18x8 et45 konig runlites in black. Stock sized nitto neogens, because budget. We also put my oe austin's on the wife's sportwagen. 

7/17/21 11:45 p.m.

Yet another mod for the car I'm keeping stock. Integrated engineering v2 intake. Install was a breeze, and everything fit perfect. Another beautifully uneventful install

7/19/21 6:12 p.m.

Next mod showed up today. Jb4 from burger motorsports. Going to get it all plugged in either tomorrow or Wednesday. 

for those not familiar with the platform, the jb4 is a plug & play piggyback module with a few map choices. With my intake/exhaust it'll probably add around 50 horsepower. 

7/27/21 1:03 a.m.

Got the jb4 all hooked up yesterday. Feels like a totally different car. Still feels stock from a power delivery standpoint but just... More of it lol. Under normal driving it feels like it did before but once you get on it, man it's like the car just wakes up. Should have come like this from the factory. Also hopefully signing up for my first hpde soon, so that should be an experience

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jQxjyorr89sXvFukmjwmK6LqrI3OHcsbQUDF1u34yxIlEDHBk2qaVJXqgvCNtb4i