Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/18/18 6:03 p.m.

Before I got into cars, I was playing around with things with small engines. First, it was my go-kart. Then, it was a minibike. In Freshmen shop class, I rebuilt an ancient Ariens snowblower for one of the teachers who left it there as a project for us. But then, I got a car, and small engines went to the wayside. The most tinkering I did was maintenance to the lawnmower or other machines around the yard. 

Until last year, that is. 

Last spring, many of my friends who do various forms of racing started buying minibikes and "whizzer"-style converted pedal bikes. That smacked me upside the head with nostalgia for my old go-kart and minibike, so I bought a complete deathtrap at a shady swap meet. Here's a thread about it from last year. I hammered on the thing all summer, but couldn't get it right. 

Yesterday, an ad for a minibike popped up locally, so I had to go check it out. And yeah, I bought it. It was St. Patrick's Day, so the green paint was PERFECT for the occasion. laugh

It's a Baja "Racer", which is a recent copy of the old Doodlebug bikes from what I understand. It sports an adorable little 97cc Chinese Briggs copy, and after adding fresh gas, it runs great! It needs the throttle return spring re-attached, the seat bolted back on, and air in the tires. It tends to drip some fuel out of somewhere, too. Apparently, these have a cult following, and they make a bunch of engine swap kits and performance parts for it. A HF Predator may be in its future!

My nephew will be taking possession of my old minibike, the REO ButtWagon, named for its ridiculous tractor seat. laugh

I'll be posting more small engine'd stupidity in here. I also have a generator I've been working on that will end up in here as well. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog HalfDork
3/18/18 7:52 p.m.

I cut my teeth on one of these many moons ago.  They were a blast.

Related image

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/19/18 9:31 a.m.

In reply to Dirtydog :

I love old minibikes. As much as I like the new one I just got, I wish I still had my old one. It was metallic green with a green sparkly seat and a working headlight, similar to the bottom one in that ad. I traded it for a crappy bass guitar which I later threw away. crying

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
3/19/18 9:39 a.m.

Dad just spent over $5k on his 1950's (I think) Honda Z50...

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/19/18 11:19 a.m.

Apparently, the 97cc engine on the Baja/Doodlebug bike is a Honda GX100 clone, not a Briggs clone, and makes 2.8hp. I found a site that offers tons of replacement parts for it, which is nice. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog HalfDork
3/19/18 3:34 p.m.

You know an original Lil Indian is probably worth some cash today.  I like the tractor seat.  Have a similar one on my 1950 Ferguson TO20.   A while back I gave a buddy one of my old Dresser seats for a mini bike, looked silly/cool.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
3/19/18 6:19 p.m.
Mad_Ratel said:

Dad just spent over $5k on his 1950's (I think) Honda Z50...

It's more likely from the late 1960s or early 1970s.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/15/20 3:24 p.m.

Haven't updated this thread in a LONG time, especially since I had a separate thread for minibike shenanigans.

I've been wanting to get a generator since I moved into my house 10 years ago. You don't always need them, but when you do, well, you need them. My FIL gave us a Coleman Powermate 5000 he had kicking around for a few years that didn't run, but after trying all sorts of things (rebuilt the carb, then replaced the carb, replaced the fuel pump, and more) I could never get the damn thing to run. It has fuel, air, and spark, but just refuses to fire, even on starting fluid. I don't get it, but I'm sick of messing with it.

I was talking to my dad over the weekend, and he was cleaning out his garage and shed and remembered he had a generator in there. He picked it up years ago when a friend's small engine shop closed and liquidated their stock, but never tried using it. He ended up getting a dual fuel one a couple years ago, so this one was forgotten until he started cleaning things out. He offered it to me for the low, low price of "get this out of here, I'm sick if tripping over it".

It's a Winco PE5500 120/240V generator, powered by an 11HP Briggs & Stratton. This thing weighs at least twice what the Coleman I have weighs, and it's smaller! It has 5500W continuous, which is pretty good for my needs. My nephew did remove the carb for some reason, so I need to re-install it and see if I can fire it up.

bOttOmfeeder
bOttOmfeeder New Reader
6/15/20 5:54 p.m.

I picked up a gas powered wood chipper yesterday.   It came with a house my nephew bought. It spent several years outside unused.  My nephew and brother couldn’t get it started. It was headed to the curb when I took it.  

It was an pieces when I got it.  Spent 1.5 hour cleaning the carb (full of rust),  cleaning the spark plug, and unseizing the rusted/frozen belt drive.

It started on third pull and I sent them a video....

Chipper needs some more rust/welding to be safe.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/15/20 7:48 p.m.

Nice! Free fixes are the best. 

Speaking of which...

Things escalated quickly this evening. After talking to my nephew (who just today started his own small engine repair business at 17 years old!) he said he briefly looked at it about 3 years ago but quit when the recoil start didn't... uhh... recoil. He started pulling the carb too, but never did anything else.  He's gotten a lot better since then, but I digress... 

The recoil was not working, and that means pulling the flywheel cover on a Briggs like this. Sometimes this is a giant PITA, but the 4 bolts were easily accessible on this one. After disassembling, cleaning, and lubing the assembly, I put it back together and it worked as it should. Nice!

After getting it off the back of the truck ( this thing is HEAVY), I was thinking about how I could mount casters on it, since it has mounting holes in the frame. And then I remembered I had something that might be better than casters...

I had an old pressure washer that I got in pieces. I tossed the engine last year, but kept the frame because it's handy for moving around heavy stuff like small engines. I'm going to use it as a generator stand. 

I also used compressed air to clean it up a bit. This thing sat under my dad's radial arm saw table for years, and it was filled with sawdust and garbage. After cleaning it out, it looks like it's barely used. The oil was still clean, but there was some old fuel in the tank, so I'll have to address that with a tank cleaning and new fuel lines. I may order a carb for it just in case. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/17/20 7:22 p.m.

Work continues on my generator project. Today, I focused on the fuel system, mainly the fuel tank itself. 

I removed the tank to drain it, and yeah, decades-old varnish and chunkies. Not ideal. 

Lots of bunk smells and chunks of sludgy nastiness. Yeah, that's not gonna do. 

I looked online for easy ways to clean out small engine tanks like this, and I read about a method that says to toss a handful of bolts and some apple cider vinegar in there, shake it all up to agitate the sludge, and leave it in there overnight. The vinegar is supposed to eat the rust and deposits. I'll dump it tomorrow and hope that the gross stuff comes out of there with it. 

Oh, and I did buy a carb, fuel line, filter, etc. The carb that's on there is likely fine, but I want to make absolutely sure this thing works. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/18/20 9:54 p.m.

So, the apple cider thing kinda works!

Kinda hard to see, but the inside of the tank looks so much better. About 98% of the grossness came out of there. Speaking of which...

Nasty. I tossed some Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank to coat it so it won't flash rust. 

New carb showed up late tonight, so I'm hoping to get it up and running real soon! 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/19/20 3:04 p.m.

Good News: I got the generator to fire up today!

Bad News: The new carb already broke.

After installing the carb, I tested it with starting fluid and it fired just about instantly. But it still wasn't getting fuel to the carb. After cleaning out the shut-off valve on the gas tank, I noticed that the bowl fitting was leaking gas. I touched it and it literally fell apart in my hands. Great!

So I have 3 options:

1. Send back the bad carb and get another one

2. Try to get the original working with parts from the new one

3. Swap the bowl fitting from the old one to the new one and hope it doesn't leak

Returning it might be tough, since I've already run fuel in it and used all the other stuff that came with it. I'm not really sure what I'm doing yet, but at least I know it does run.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/20/20 9:30 p.m.

I chose Option 3: Swap the bowl fitting from the old one to the new one and hope it doesn't leak

And... uhh... it worked! 

Let's back up a little bit...

I was having trouble getting fuel to the carb. Gee, I wonder why? 

Yeah, that'll do it. After chiseling all of that out, the petcock was free to flow fuel to the carb. And that's when the leak happened. Since the fitting crumbled apart, I tossed the old one and the new needle that came with the new carb in and it stopped leaking. After messing around with it for a bit, it fired right up! Still need some tuning, but it does work. I plugged in a drill and it worked perfectly fine. Nice!

I also cleaned it up and painted up the old pressure washer cart it's going to be bolted to. 

The unit is really in great shape for being 33 years old. Cleaned up nicely! After tuning, changing the oil, etc. it should be good to go. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GrOEfEJO4n5zg3iVpjeYrkkCzqbAnmrXdcAitY3SX5sQoa0FSkCOmFWbtziZxoZo