1 2 3
Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/7/18 7:35 a.m.

I’ve posted and deleted about 4 times now because i wanted to roll out of the trailer in Gainesville and drop jaws, but there’s no way with us not coming this year that this can stay under wraps for 14 more months.  A handful of you know I ended up with this one.  Time for 2.0 my way.

Day 1:  May 27 2018

Andy(xlr99) and his son Nick came over and helped me move things around.  One out of the cocoon and one into it, with new shelf for some spares and my fuel jugs.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/7/18 7:40 a.m.

Austin Bantam of some vintage......awaiting a 4.8 sporting twin snails perhaps?

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
8/7/18 7:43 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Much less common than that. 

Is the engine going in the back or front?

PMRacing
PMRacing SuperDork
8/7/18 8:03 a.m.

Is that THE Wartburg?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/7/18 8:14 a.m.

I'm pretty sure I remember this thing rolling around the pits at Nelson Ledges with its' original engine... it has had a pretty wild journey since then!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/7/18 8:15 a.m.

In reply to PMRacing :

Its entirely possible, though I dont remember it last being spotted with a white top. It did have a porsche pcd though. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
8/7/18 8:24 a.m.

YES!!!  While this thing would have blown minds coming off the trailer, I'm so excited to get some insight into your thought and build process without having to wait another 14 months. 

As a design engineer I tend to plan things to a T before starting anything which can really limit you in the long run.  I hope to one day have the balls to cut apart a car frame without knowing the whole plan forward.

I have a feeling this thread will turn into a GRM must read along side the awesome threads put together by the Nelson clan.  Looking forward to learning some new stuff!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/7/18 10:24 a.m.

I would love to plan a project out to a T before starting anything, but I get so excited, things just start moving. Plus, you don't always know the actual problems you are going to run into until you get there and have your parts in hand.

I intended to keep my V8 Firefly under wraps until it was all done, but I found posting it online helped me work on it more, and get it done sooner, because I had an "audience."

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
8/7/18 10:33 a.m.

Is this going to involve the circle track chassis with quick change rear end you pick up a few years ago?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/7/18 10:36 a.m.

Just watching...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/7/18 10:56 a.m.

Does that car still have my engine in the back?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/7/18 10:59 a.m.

Here is some background for those unfamiliar and unanointed.  It is a storied history on the way to The Trifecta of Crap.  

http://hooniverse.com/2013/08/18/weekend-edition-misfit-toys-legends-of-the-24-hours-of-lemons-is-selling-off-its-toys/ 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
8/7/18 11:31 a.m.

I raced against this thing at its first race.  It really has led an interesting life!

I remember when Mr Thwaite (spelling) won the essay contest to get it...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/7/18 11:35 a.m.

I know a secret....

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/7/18 11:45 a.m.
SVreX said:

Does that car still have my engine in the back?

It’s sitting in front of Darth as backup to the 243k mile original in my wrx.  Jim never went further than na ej22

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
8/7/18 12:21 p.m.

Yeah, I'm in for the follow. Also curious as to what the other car is... 

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
8/7/18 12:28 p.m.
AWSX1686 said:

For those of you without a long history on this forum, here's a primer:

Wartburg

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/7/18 12:57 p.m.

Still day 1 may 27.  Carli and the kids were at her dad’s farm in Michigan and I had to stay home to work, so much gets done when there is no family around 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/7/18 12:59 p.m.

Still day 1.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/7/18 1:02 p.m.

Day 1(cont’d) - told you i get much done when they’re not home

Rundown:  factory frame is 1.75x3.75 tube, which i was not expecting.  Rear rails were from my uncle’s scrap pile, they came with a car he bought and were welded in then cut out.  He tosses his scrap in front of the garage and whoever gets to it first gets it, unfortunately he also sent some stuff i was supposed to get away with the scrap man.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
8/7/18 1:19 p.m.

Sweet!  I don’t have to keep the secret anymore!  Got to see this in June when I grabbed the VW/Porsche goodies.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
8/7/18 1:39 p.m.
jstein77 said:
AWSX1686 said:

Wartburg

No, the other car...

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/7/18 1:50 p.m.
AWSX1686 said:
jstein77 said:
AWSX1686 said:

Wartburg

No, the other car...

The black one?  That’s Darth Nader, the 62 corvair bodied 2000 corvette.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/7/18 1:53 p.m.

I'm nine kinds of confused. The Wartburg is caged, right? Is the cage tied just to the body and not to the frame at all? 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/7/18 2:25 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I'm nine kinds of confused. The Wartburg is caged, right? Is the cage tied just to the body and not to the frame at all? 

That was all cut out prior to me getting it, and it was all mounted to plates on the body.  It was sold initially to a guy who was going to use it as a teaching device.  they stripped it to bare and bagged things and did a number on the sheetmetal around the windows by gouging the E36 M3 out of it with a grinder, then gave up.  Jim bought it back to save it from certain death and contacted me because i had expressed interest previously and made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.  I’ve somewhat secretly had the car since August 2016.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aC7yc3qeT3CzqcqktnbKOw9rW9c2ybCSyNQaWfXW8ORGFBrxkbND4VM94EQFH9xf