Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/13/19 9:42 p.m.

I made a jig for piston pin installation out of scraps from building a countertop last week and a piece of decking?

pins are in freezer, grabbing a new mapp cylinder while out and about in the morning, and i have the 700 degree melty indicator crayon thing to help heat the small ends of the rods to correct temperature.  All in the name of science, learning new things, and not having budget space to pay a machine shop to hang the pistons.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/14/19 7:22 p.m.

I do things

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/14/19 8:03 p.m.

I did 8 things 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/18/19 1:01 p.m.

My piston and ring installer tool is a piece of E36 M3 and i may go buy one of those fancy ones that are bore specific

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/18/19 1:02 p.m.

Also staring at a 57 chevy while assembling an engine is cathartic 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
6/18/19 1:07 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

The trick I found with that one is you have to make sure it's whacked square with the deck before you compress the rings fully.  Took me a few middle fingers to get to that point.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Reader
6/18/19 1:19 p.m.
Patrick said:

Also staring at a 57 chevy while assembling an engine is cathartic 

Is that like before it was Tim Lally?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/18/19 1:45 p.m.

Probably Tim Lally’s grandpa or something.  

In spite of the stupid ring compressor, i overcame.  While I should have tossed it in the recycling pile, i put it back in the engine assembly tools bin and put that away.  Every time i put that bin away it feels good.  

Almost time to make another bulk order of brake cleaner from petroleum services.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/18/19 1:47 p.m.

those rod caps are very grindy

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/18/19 3:51 p.m.

I've now seen this car twice. Got to sit in it this time. The tilt hood is epic. Deucelings delivered all the nitrous. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/18/19 4:23 p.m.

Why did we not take your picture sitting in the car?  Fail on our part. 

All cleaned, torqued, ready for tins.  I was unhappy with the oil pan so i stripped it back to bare and repainted it.  I have to accept that i’ll never be happy with this oil pan and after the challenge i can get a new one without rust pits.

Working on the car is helping keep my mind off the distress at hand, and the kids are staying at my parents tonight so i can just keep pushing forward.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/18/19 5:01 p.m.

Keep at it. We want to hear it make noise. Lots of noise.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/18/19 5:36 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Keep at it. We want to hear it make noise. Lots of noise.

Garage looks like a paint booth right now, there are freshly painted engine parts hanging everywhere.  The devil is in the details, as they say. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/19/19 9:59 p.m.

Nightly update:  berkeley mice

i had a long day, got home at close to 7, burned dinner and angrily threw a slab of smoldering ribs into the woods.  Made tacos for kids, Abby didn’t bother trying to eat hers until the dog had cleaned her plate off the table because he’s a brazen shiny happy person with no berkeleys left to give in his old age.  Abby says I WANT berkeleyING FOOD RIGHT NOW and yay my evening just keeps getting better.  Abby calms, takes a bath, dumps entire brand new bottle of shampoo in, $4 gone.  Minus $13.04 so far with the ribs.  Made a whopping $12.80 on my stocks today so almost net of zero.

i go out to garage to find a timing cover gasket.  Pull gasket bin down, has a lid but was up a hair because felpro uses huge boxes.  Pull lid, it smells.  Pull a box out, mouse E36 M3 comes out.  Pull other box, find nest, every gasket that isn’t shredded is covered in crystallized mouse piss.  I pull piss timing cover gasket out and throw literally hundreds of dollars of gaskets in the trash.  If anyone has a problem with me using a crystallized mouse piss timing cover gasket at $0 I’m kicking you in the sack.  

Once again, berkeley mice

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/20/19 7:11 a.m.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/20/19 11:22 a.m.

Several months ago i stopped at a huge pile of trash by the road because there was a barn and anytime a barn gets cleaned out there might be good stuff.  I found an awesome new set of armstrong nut drivers and a box full of garage chemicals, including some new old rtv.  $0

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/20/19 12:42 p.m.

this is my new favorite thread

dherr
dherr HalfDork
6/20/19 12:46 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

this is my new favorite thread

Same!

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
6/20/19 12:58 p.m.

Wow two hand models on one forum laugh What are odds...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/20/19 1:04 p.m.

I thought about being a hand model as well, but I'm pretty sure but it would get me banned.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/20/19 2:40 p.m.

Finished the rear body mount fabrication.  I named them and placed them where they like to be 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
6/20/19 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

You sure Angry wouldn't benchrace the Babushka from the bottom. It's harder work on top ya know. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
6/20/19 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

One of them should be upside down.  Didn’t you watch the video I sent?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/20/19 2:57 p.m.

Seriously though, they work.  

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/20/19 2:59 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I've now seen this car twice. Got to sit in it this time. The tilt hood is epic. Deucelings delivered all the nitrous. 

"I need NOS.  Two of the big ones.  And I need them by tonight."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8Szs6PHq9vSnP6LaxhNZzPNzDaeQdMKlv4gJOHtNyKMtaChlNPk804i1s9r4O1po