Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/22/19 8:55 p.m.

No that was an exercise in boredom.  I scrapped the brackets i cobbled together, it was never meant to be anything but a diversion for my brain

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/23/19 8:03 a.m.

Here’s where we are at.

fan and water pump pulley trying to occupy the same space.  Can move radiator over, or possibly forward to get the pulley between the fans or clear of them, cannot figure out until the front end is back on.  After that i can finish the core support and make a couple braces to make it not floppy.

later today the brake pedal/mc/booster should be on for good, i will modify the pedal now so that it’s good whether it needs it or not.

still need gas pedal, have to go to dead sled’s land of dead caddies and grab one.  

Drivers side header collector needs cut and spun to clear the body mount.  Passenger side fits perfectly into the little spot i clearanced for it.  I may try and bend the header a tiny bit before chopping stainless.  

Shifter and driveshaft 

set rear ride height close and tighten up suspension bolts

finish fuel cell mount, make a battery hold down, mount bottle, and i believe then it will be ready to wire and plumb.  I have a box of subaru wiring harness, a bunch of wires salvaged from scrap appliances, and all the gauges/switches that the car came with plus a $almost free new old stock ignition switch from an estate sale.

Carb needs gone through because it was given to me as a “this doesn’t work holleys are junk i’m putting an edelbrock on” by one of the cruise night guys.  It’s probably fine. I’ll give it to my uncle and he’ll give it back ready to go.  

exhaust would be easier if i could bend tubes, but i have some rusty mandrel bends salvaged from the pile at the scrap yard by way of some tailpipes.

at that point, if it starts/moves/stops only then can i mask everything off and do body work.

you know what they don’t have in the Kanter catalog?  A headliner for a Wartburg. 

3 months?  Pfft.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey HalfDork
7/23/19 8:38 a.m.

Dude. Awesome progress! You got this.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/23/19 4:50 p.m.

Passenger side ^^^

drivers side vvv

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/23/19 4:52 p.m.

Also wild ass guess on engine crossmember while the engine was on the stand got me here, 1/4” clearance 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/23/19 4:57 p.m.

After application of a long lever and a lot of force 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
7/23/19 6:29 p.m.

Ok so the SC was a exercise in boredom....and a tunnel ram is also a non starter... that leaves us with the 'bump stick' of choice/budget with this single 4bbl........and it is something semi 'lumpy'?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/23/19 6:43 p.m.

Stock 92 corvette lt1 hydraulic roller, lift is right on the absolute limits of unmodified vortec heads.  It was $10 and slightly better specs than the 330hp vortec crate motor.  I can conservatively assume 330hp as this engine is a clone of that one otherwise.   

The last one i built calculated exactly to 330 using quarter mile times, with the .431/.451 crate motor cam.  The LT1 cam is .447/459.  Lift obviously isn’t the only cam spec, but with a challenge car in a cobbled together engine, who really cares.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
7/23/19 10:44 p.m.

I like tight lobe centers for lumpy, with duration figures low enough to keep the rods on the inside.  108° LSA is my typical pick.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/24/19 2:15 p.m.

Officially plumbing, one jeep brake hose bolted on(and a caliper, pads, rotor)

Currently getting ready to make some bfh clearance to something that worked during mock-up but doesn’t quite clear now 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/24/19 2:21 p.m.

Oil pan clearanced, now have lock to lock steering.  Slight touch up required

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/24/19 2:32 p.m.

The stainless spacer sleeve for the steering was one of those hillbilly cadillac grab handles that got screwed to countless conversion pickups in the 90’s.  The zinc mount plates must have rotted off and i found it in the parking lot at the gas station and knew exactly what I was going to cut it into. 

Mommy’s alright, daddy’s alright, he just builds really berkeleying weird cars

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/24/19 3:45 p.m.

I hope the cam is big enough that it makes you feel like you have googly eyes at idle. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/24/19 4:18 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I like the sound of that....

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/24/19 5:04 p.m.

One gas pedal, coming up!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/24/19 6:42 p.m.

2 options, mostly loud or ALL THE LOUD

if it seems like i jump around a lot, i do.  When I’m in the garage it’s like “ooh piece of candy.  Ooh piece of candy.  Ooh piece of candy” then I’m laying on my back with a muffler on my shins and the welder torch in my hand

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/24/19 7:49 p.m.

Guessing my text didn't go through, happens with pics sometimes.

I learned I suck at getting stuff out from under the dash even if there's not a car attached.

How much of this mounting bracket do you need?  Gas bracket is welded to the brake bracket.  Still atleast one bolt still holding it in (top left, can't see it).  

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/24/19 7:52 p.m.

Also, all the loud, all the time.  Unless the popo is around.  

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/24/19 8:57 p.m.

And just like magic, a gas pedal appears!

Burned the inside of my elbow pretty good with a hot sawzall blade and lost a bit of blood but it's out.  Success!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/24/19 8:58 p.m.

I had no idea there was part of a caddy behind the barn.  

I may be able to revise my booster mount and use everything 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
7/24/19 9:06 p.m.

Dude with this being 'nose ' up AND as light as it is, I hope you pull the fronts well past the tree  laugh  ohohohand haze from the ancient MH RaceMasters out back!!!!

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/24/19 9:12 p.m.
Patrick said:

I had no idea there was part of a caddy behind the barn.  

I may be able to revise my booster mount and use everything 

There's parts of this caddy everywhere.

I cut through part of the bracket to the right of the booster but you should be able to weld that up.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/30/19 7:13 p.m.

One modified cadillac brake pedal 

Waiting for paint to dry, when that is in(maybe tomorrow after work) i can position and work the gas pedal then i will know if the column can pass through the firewall in my desired location.  Then i get to build a column.  

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
7/30/19 8:52 p.m.
Dead_Sled said:

I learned I suck at getting stuff out from under the dash even if there's not a car attached.

What in the Sam Hill is goin on here? Did you just find a Cadillac in your shrubbery?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/30/19 8:56 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Sometimes you mow the lawn and find car parts.  These things happen.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vHhmEREKo21p8hERc7f9zGDKVbEzJ0It4e2x0EbZtpSvaeQVmx4pd9IWpcrquJF4